Any Rocky Mtn. Horse fans here?

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I have a 5 yr. old black Rocky that I just adore. I have always wanted a Rocky since I saw one in a magazine back around the time the breed became officially recognized. I think it was around 1986. I have ridden several gaited breeds (TWH, MFTs, Paso Finos, Peruvian Paso and Kentucky Mountain) but none could compare to a Rocky, IMO. They have it all--extremely smooth, completely NATURAL gait, people loving personality, nonspooky, intelligent, willing, endurance and sure footedness. I am totally in love with the breed. Anyone here share my passion for these wonderful animals? My gelding is just barely 14HH and he would gladly come right into the house if I let him! What a character. I also discovered he can do a single foot the other day! He's 5 gaited, although he hasn't done a running walk undersaddle yet, just a couple times when being lunged. Pictured is me and my 9 yr. old grandson last year coming back from a trail ride. I'm in the lead on River, my Rocky. He's on my 25 yr. old Arab, Saber.

Thumbnail by Seaecho
Richmond, TX

I have two neighbors who trail ride a lot and have recently gotten Rocky Mountain horses. They both are wonderful to ride as you said, but one is a brat on the ground - not a real problem for my neighbor who is an experienced horseman.

South Hamilton, MA

We don't see them in this area. Interesting breed.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have always admired them..especially the chocolate ones with a flaxen mane....

Richmond, TX

That is what color my neighbor's brat is, cute, a great ride, but unsociable.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Porkpal, if your neighbor's bratty Rocky has Johnson's Toby in his pedigree, that would explain why. They can have a bit of attitude. Mine has that horse in his pedigree three times, and does have a bit of attitude at times too, but he never does more than switch his tail. Its a very intelligent bloodline. You don't see hardly any Rockies here in So. Calif. either. They are few and far between. I bought mine from IN and had him shipped here. I saw pics and video, and that's it. I paid about a fourth of what I would have paid here, no lie. And that INCLUDES the shipping!

Melvatoo, the chocolate with flaxen is the most popular color for Rockies. I prefer black horses all around, no matter what breed, so that is the color of Rocky I wanted. He's non fading too, which is great. Roughly 1 in 5 Rockies is black. And yes, they are a very interesting breed. Go gaited, you'll never look back, is what I always say. The expression is very true.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm a fan of any horse breed I don't see all the time. lol. Around here I am surrounded by Quarter Horses. Great breed but then I like others too. I've ridden gaited a few times but always in a clinic surrounded by non gaited horses so had to really work to keep from passing everyone. Easier said than done!! lol

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have always liked flaxen manes and tails...no matter if they are chocolate, sorrel or chestnut....I love them all.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I never could understand what people see in Quarter Horses, paints, or anything non gaited (except Arabs) LOL. To me, riding a gaited horse is liking floating past all the others, although I've trained mine to do a dog walk if we are riding with non gaited horses. Before I taught him to walk slowly, I'd always have to be doing circles, serpentines, and circling back to the horses left behind.

South Hamilton, MA

ok different horses for different jobs. Certainly the 'western pleasure' class is really slow. GD started riding English because she found it boring. Then she wanted to learn to jump. but for trail riding I would think that a gaited horse would be very comfortable. There are trails all through town here; not like the trails you all can ride. They have been taken over from the 'hunt club' by the Essex County Trail Association. Just in time as some of the trails had house built across them. the ECTA has been working on easements to stop that. We granted one here, although it is only about a 250 ft. section. But there are not gaited horses right here. However they must be around as there was a Paso Fino demonstration last spring.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

This is my TWH/RMH cross. Her name is Firefly. She is 59" and is 14yo. She will rack a hole in the ground as thet say in these parts. Smooth as silk.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
South Hamilton, MA

I had not seen her picture before.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

very nice, Cajun.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Firefly is gorgeous!! But then almost all horses are gorgeous to me. lol

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. She is a really nice mare. I had her turned out for the last year. She has really calmed down in that time. I brought her up and rode her. First time in 3 years, and she rode like the last time I stepped off her. If I had known she had calmed down so much I'd not have contracted to buy my new mare, Dixie. I'd have just kept Firefly. But I will have to sell her now. My new mare is nice too. A Walkaloosa with a rolling rack that is very comfortable. Looking forward to getting her out on the trails in the spring.

Here is a pic of Dixie's head. The ring is a muddy mess right now.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Medina, OH

Hi Cajun-I'm such a sucker for greys. Good luck with her. The ring looks like my back yard. Hubby asked "Who put the palominos in our pasture?" At least the mud/clay had dried...Oh well-here we go again. Take care. S.

Richmond, TX

Ah! Adobe horses!

Medina, OH

You are so right, Porkpal. And I am afraid this affliction shall last 'til Spring.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I feel bad turning them out in the ring but I hate to see them standing in the stalls all day too. The middle of the ring is not nearly so bad. It's not mucky, just wet.

Richmond, TX

I'll bet they love the mud and are happy to be out in it.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

horses seem to like the muddiest spot for rolling, lol!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

especially if they are a light color and the mud will really show...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We have a wash stall in the barn that is enclosed. It has hot and cold water and a heater so if they get too awful we can wash them and let them stand in the wash stall by the heater until they dry.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

We've been watching for a Rocky Mountain Horse for several months now. I have a TWH and MFT to go with my non gaited Thoroughbreds. My daughter is dying for this RMH LOL Normally, I'd never let a kid influence me but she's an outstanding young lady that we adopted internationally at 11 y/o. She's 14 now and is just so good with animals......Plus, I know if she goes off to college, it's a horse I'll enjoy too. I do wish they were just a bit cheaper LOL Anyone with suggestions?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have seen them for upwards of a few thousand dollars and more than that out west. What do they run around your neck of the woods. Firefly is 1/2 RMH and I am asking $800 for her.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

You can pick up a weanling or yearling for maybe $750-1500, but for a nice trained one, especially in chocolate with flaxen, it's running about $5000-10,000 LOL I know that is crazy but they were running 2-3x that before economy died. The mares are sometimes cheaper....I'm kinda trolling for maybe a mare that was trained to ride and was bred a few times and maybe I could get a better price and have my trainer work with her. I think she's really reasonable and she has done a great job with my Walker. I'm thinking as long as temperment is right then it might work out...

If anybody knows somebody that has any that might fit and want a great home please let me know. It would be lifetime placement as I don't dump horses and we have refs. I'd take the black or other colors but this little girl is really special and the horse is a lifetime family member so I'll try for a chocolate with little lighter mane, even if it's not platinum...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I saw a 2yo RMH filly for sale. Black with a star. She is only lead broke but very gentle. They are asking $200.

Looks like I will be keeping Firefly after all. DH is having problems with his foot again and going back and forth to the hospital everyday for IV meds. Starts HBO again Monday. Fuel is taking all our money so I won't be able to get Dixie now.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

sending healing thoughts for DH and hugs for you, Cajun.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you so much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images