Teaching Myself to Knit

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

This is my first knitting project since I was 8 and back then knitted a blanket for a caterpillar!

Thumbnail by haighr
Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Do you still have your catepillar blanket?! LOL I just love 8 year olds. Aren't the great? I took one knitting lesson....... Just couldn't get it. Then the teacher died..... Way to go haighr!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Nope that caterpillar took it and ran!!!
I've never had any lessons in crochet or knit, but must say I am quite exceptional at the crochet and hope to accomplish the same with the knit. I do know that learning to knit with the help of utube is much easier than just trying to read and look at still pics which is how I learned to crochet.

If you are interested in trying again I highly recommend utube Knitting for Dummies!!!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Well, I must agree with you on your being quite exceptional with your crochet!! You make beautiful crocheted things. And it looks like you really enjoy making them.
I'm not interested at the moment in learning to knit. Quilting and tatting keeps my hands pretty busy.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I would love to quilt and have no idea how or what tatting is so please post something. I have a quilt that my grandmother made for me that is hand sewn and tied and it is adorable in pink and blue & white. Tatting, must go check it out!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

haighr, I have posted lots of tatting things on the needle Arts forum. Just scroll down and you;ll see them. I like to make snow flakes. Check it out.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I take a look mindy.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

You are such a talented lady...I want to learn how to knit as well. Right now I am in the process of crocheting a throw, and I just started to learn how to tat. Hope this pans out.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks you.
Just keep at it and it will work out for you. I used the tutorials on You Tube for all the info on knitting, better almost than taking a class. Course it also helped that I have been crocheting for 40 + years so can read the patterns.

So what are you working on? I just finished another breast cancer doily and am working on the crinolines. Need to start making angels soon!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I am working on a crochet pattern from an older Vanna White book called Chenille Stripes.

On the tatting projects, I am still practicing. I can do the double stitch and picot, but am having trouble continuing on after I make the first circle. I can't figure out how to pick up the thread and continue to make more circles etc...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Try some tutorials on You Tube, there are many and the videos if you find good ones are really easy to follow. There is a knitting for dummies that I love that shows step by step slowly!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.