Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Needle Arts: Teaching Myself to Knit

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 10, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8899121

This is my first knitting project since I was 8 and back then knitted a blanket for a caterpillar!

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8899846

Do you still have your catepillar blanket?! LOL I just love 8 year olds. Aren't the great? I took one knitting lesson... Just couldn't get it. Then the teacher died... Way to go haighr!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8899890

Nope that caterpillar took it and ran!!!
I've never had any lessons in crochet or knit, but must say I am quite exceptional at the crochet and hope to accomplish the same with the knit. I do know that learning to knit with the help of utube is much easier than just trying to read and look at still pics which is how I learned to crochet.

If you are interested in trying again I highly recommend utube Knitting for Dummies!!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8899955

Well, I must agree with you on your being quite exceptional with your crochet!! You make beautiful crocheted things. And it looks like you really enjoy making them.
I'm not interested at the moment in learning to knit. Quilting and tatting keeps my hands pretty busy.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8900274

I would love to quilt and have no idea how or what tatting is so please post something. I have a quilt that my grandmother made for me that is hand sewn and tied and it is adorable in pink and blue & white. Tatting, must go check it out!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8901715

haighr, I have posted lots of tatting things on the needle Arts forum. Just scroll down and you;ll see them. I like to make snow flakes. Check it out.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8904762

I take a look mindy.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #8965788

You are such a talented lady...I want to learn how to knit as well. Right now I am in the process of crocheting a throw, and I just started to learn how to tat. Hope this pans out.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #8967015

Thanks you.
Just keep at it and it will work out for you. I used the tutorials on You Tube for all the info on knitting, better almost than taking a class. Course it also helped that I have been crocheting for 40 + years so can read the patterns.

So what are you working on? I just finished another breast cancer doily and am working on the crinolines. Need to start making angels soon!
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #8967061

I am working on a crochet pattern from an older Vanna White book called Chenille Stripes.

On the tatting projects, I am still practicing. I can do the double stitch and picot, but am having trouble continuing on after I make the first circle. I can't figure out how to pick up the thread and continue to make more circles etc...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #8967558

Try some tutorials on You Tube, there are many and the videos if you find good ones are really easy to follow. There is a knitting for dummies that I love that shows step by step slowly!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America