Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: does anyone know what this is?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 174
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stormy19
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2001
6:15 PM

Post #16433

I have a couple of these little beauties, but can't find out what the name of it is.
Thanks,
Jackie

Thumbnail by stormy19
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2001
6:19 PM

Post #149631

hey girl!!! I asked that as soon as I got back from your house!!! It's Streptocarpus. There are lots of varieties, but I found it on a google image search. thanks again for having me over, it was so great:)
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2001
6:23 PM

Post #149634

Stormy19,
tiG is right and it loves sun, but be careful not to get water on the leaves while the sun is on it or they will spot badly. This plant EVEN grows in Iowa!! Can take cuttings too and they will do well.

Shirley
stormy19
Villa Rica, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2001
6:10 PM

Post #153373

Wow, and I keep seeing that name in Logee's and thinking I would love to have one but WILL IT GROW FOR ME, lol That is great. I should have plenty of it to share come spring time. Bonnie was great having you over and I have been meaning to write but you know how that goes, :). Maybe now that it's getting cooler and I can't be outside as much, I'll at least have a few minutes on the computer during the day.
Jackie
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2001
6:18 PM

Post #153375

I hope so Jackie. Did you ever see my post in the brug forum, telling about our visit??? I really did enjoy it:)
momma
Burlington, ON
(Zone 5B)

October 27, 2001
12:51 AM

Post #153578

Thank you everyone! I too have one of these plants, I bought it at a garage sale believe it or not. I have been wondering all summer if it has a name since everyone I asked had never even seen one.
Thanks (again) to you Shirley for the cutting info. Will they root in soil or in water? I will get on that before the poor thing dies, I thought it an annual so left it outside ready for the compost. Uh-oh!
There must be an empty pot around here somewhere . . .
Doreen
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2001
1:22 AM

Post #153605

Doreen,

I rooted mine in a regular potting soil. It took a while and then takes a while to see much growth, but they will still bloom, even if only a couple of inches tall. Should make nice plants by spring. Don't panic if they wilt down, just keep them out of the sun until they are well perked up and they will do very well.
momma
Burlington, ON
(Zone 5B)

October 27, 2001
1:42 AM

Post #153624

Thanks for the quick reply Shirley. I'll steal a pot from a Brug, or share one for now. As for keeping them out of the sun, that shouldn't be too much of a problem what with all this wind and rain, came in from Iowa I think LOL.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America