Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Houseplants: How to care for the Money Tree?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 13, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TreeRoots
Knoxville, TN

November 21, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8900878

I really want a money tree, but I hate how they are braided. I also don't like how you have to keep cutting them back to keep them small. I want to let my future money tree get big. I saw one huge one that had been braided a foot from the pot, but them the rest of the long limbs where straight...and it looked funny.
-Will they do just fine w/o being braided?
-How tall do they get as an indoor plant?
-What light do they want?
-How often do I water them?
-How quickly do they grow?
Thanks.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2011
10:28 PM

Post #8901014

No, they do not need to be braided.
They need some sun but can well indoors near a window.
They can take average watering.
They'll grow as big as you like.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56220/

I don't care for the braiding either. I saw one indoor tree as high as the ceiling, which was about 15' high. They're beautiful trees.
TreeRoots
Knoxville, TN

November 22, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8901992

Cool, thanks. Now I just need to find an un-braided one.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8902151

My understanding is they grow well from seed. I ususally see single trunked trees in shops that sell Asian items.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8902390

As an indoor plant they will get very tall ... as long as you're able to maintain favorable cultural conditions and learn to do the root maintenance that is needed to keep them healthy over the long term - both are keys to longevity, good growth, and good vitality. They want lots of light, but won't tolerate full sun (outdoors) in mid-summer. Indoors, you should avoid direct afternoon sun unless there is good air movement in the room (fan).

Watering isn't something you should 'schedule' unless you grow in a very free-draining soil that supports little or no perched water. These soils are much more forgiving and allow much greater latitude when it comes to allowing you to water on a schedule, instead of on an 'as needed' basis, which is the much preferred method when using commercially prepared peat-based soils. Even though this plant grows in swampy areas and develops specialized root tissues (aerenchyma instead of parenchyma) that allow O2 for root metabolism to come from above ground instead of the root zone, it needs a soil that drains well and holds plenty of air in containers, even when saturated; this, because the plant isn't easily or quickly able to make the transition from soggy to well aerated, and will suffer in heavy, water-retentive soils.

The plant is genetically very vigorous and grows quickly in relation to most other trees. HOW fast it grows depends on your ability to eliminate those things that are limiting to growth. IOW - if you only provide cultural conditions the tree doesn't like, it will grow slowly or possibly decline steadily. If you provide cultural conditions it likes, the tree can grow to 8' ceiling heights in only a few years unless you prune.

You, as the grower, hold the answers to most of your questions in your own abilities. The plant is genetically programmed to grow fast and look beautiful. How well it lives up to it's potential depends on your abilities to minimize or eliminate the factors that limit growth and vitality.

Al
TreeRoots
Knoxville, TN

November 23, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8903353

Thanks a lot. I re-start my search for container mix ingredients this weekend. Hopefully the greenhouse can get me an un-braided tree!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8903616

Good luck! Tapla always gives great advice and direction. Keep us posted with the results.
TreeRoots
Knoxville, TN

December 20, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8937472

Well, still no sign of a single trunked Money Tree... Oh, BTW I'm talking about the Pachira aquatica. I don't know if it's been mentioned or anything... But I now know that to some people Jade plants are known as Money Trees...
Anyways, I went to the local nursery today, and I was looking at a braided Money Tree, and I saw that a stem had fallen off, and was half dead and sad on the dirt in the pot. I picked it up, and I told the woman that works there that she should stick it in water and see what happens, and she gave it to me!
I came home, stuck the poor thing in water and it's already perky-ish again ( granted two leaves may fall off ).
I saw somewhere online that they root in water, and even though water is a dreaded way to propagate, I'm just gonna see what happens. Can't hurt to try, right?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8937678

Can't hurt in the least. I assumed(I know...another bad...)that you meant Pachira aquatica. When you said Jade Plant, I got this picture in my head of that one braided. LOL

Good luck with your cutting!
ticollins
Sioux Falls, SD

December 21, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8938567

I'm definitely new at gardening...as you can see I never knew an actual named "money tree" existed!
TreeRoots
Knoxville, TN

December 22, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8939479

kwanjin, I appreciate it.

ticollins, They are often used for bonsai. They get large, but most never get taller than 3' due to how people braid them and slice them every time they get some growth on them. It would be like someone keeping a Maple 3' tall it's whole life by cutting it down every so often. I think it's wrong... So I hope my little cutting roots!
TreeRoots
Knoxville, TN

January 5, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #8955015

Stem dropped all the leafs and died. Back to square one. :L
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 10, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #8962346

You might check ebay for a money tree. I get a lot of plants on there and have good luck finding what I want.
Helen
sweetstars
Harvey, LA

March 10, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9037565

HI I HAVE BEEN RAISING MONEY TREES SINCE 2006 I STARTED WITH 1 NOW I HAVE 6 3 ARE BRAIDED THEY WERE MAYBE 1 FOOT WHEN I GOT EACH 1 NOW SOME OF THEM ARE 5FT I WILL PUT THEM UP SOON YOU WILL BE PLEASED

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America