-
AuthorContent
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8901295

Here's an article with how-to instructions for making an edible wall of plants, using a free or cheap wood pallet. I love it!
http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/

If you want to watch someone making one, go to the following video and click to the last part of the show -- it should say about 14:25 on the time hack. There are written instructions on this website as well. http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/category/episodes/season-two/

flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

November 22, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8901330

OMG thank you and I promise not to tell DH where I got the idea when I send him to get pallets this evening. Most of my small backyard is veggies with little room for flowers that I dearly miss. I was going to put window boxes on the privacy fence that surrounds it but this is a much better and cheaper idea.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8902931

You're welcome. You'll have to let me know what you think, if/when you put one together. I don't have immediate plans for one, but I sure like it. I'm wondering if that would be a reasonable planter for strawberries. (???) What do you think?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8903371

I bet they would be great for strawberries- I'm already thinking-----but I don't think I would want to attach it to my cedar fence. I'm afraid there could be problems with constant moisture behind it. Maybe I would prop it at an angle against the fence- I can see it already!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8911528

Jo,
You're right on time, here! I'm chomping at the bit to put in my first raised bed, only I don't want the soil directly against my newly installed cedar fence. Any suggestions for a barrier between the soil and the fence would be appreciated!

LiseP,
I've got my 25 bare rooted strawberry plants waiting to be planted. I was gonna use a bucket, but I'm rethinking it since you mentioned it for strawberries! Certainly would look better (stained, of course) in the yard with the new fence!

Hugs!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8911530

One more, Jo!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8911596

Linda, your yard is looking really nice-the new fence is great! About the pallets, I was also thinking of staining them. Haven't given it much time yet, but maybe putting hinges and 2x2's so it could angle to the fence on top, and the bottom would be maybe a foot away- is that clear as mud? I would probably use landscape fabric on the back of the pallet, and maybe thin plywood behind it to prevent sagging- really don't know yet. Some evening I'll make sketchs to see how it looks-

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8911678

Thanks, Jo!
How do you keep the soil in your raised beds away from your fence? Or did you construct them with 4 sides? I'm going with raised paver stones to match the flowerbed in the picture above. The beds will be built against the fence, but I need something on the back side, between the fence and the raised bed soil...don't wanna have we soil against the fence!
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8911867

Linda, your fence looks so nice and fresh, it would definitely be a shame to put something against it that would damage it. l agree that angling a wood pallet toward the fence, might be a good method. Then I thought, I wonder if it would work to angle two wood pallets in a sort of teepee against each other? Of course that takes more real estate, but the thought occurred to me anyway, so I figured I would share it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8911934

NICE fence save, LiseP!!

Or, how about using a decorative prop of some sort to make a cool lean-to with one pallet?
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8912409

Hmmm, okay, maybe lean it against a step stool, with a pot or two on the rungs of the other side?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8912585

SUH-WEET vertical gardening!

Or, how about something like this for double-duty? Use the underside to shade tender seedlings...

This message was edited Dec 1, 2011 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8912727

That's about how I picture the pallet garden being set up- maybe not so much slant as your wire frame.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8912738

Ok, Jo. BTW, I borrowed that picture -- wish it WAS mine! I'll get there soon enough, though!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8914339

Trailing Lobelia and Alyssum would look great in that wall-o-plants.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8914341

So now's a good time to start strawberries here, Linda?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8914378

From all I've read, November-December.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8914389

With the strange weather we've had and extreme range in temps I would think anytime would be as good as another. I don't grow strawberries because they like a lower PH then we have here but I have grown them in the past. At this point everything is kind of an experiment. Lol. Still have 1 mystery tomato plant with 2 fruit set. I really want the fruit to get ripe so it won't be a mystery anymore. Lol suposed to get really cold this week but I'm going to do my best to keep that one plant going.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8914799

Thanks, Linda.
1lisac, glad to see your post. Now I know another reason my strawberries didn't do well last time (pH).

I really appreciate your saying "one time's about as good as another," lol. I've been feeling that way myself!

I have an entire garden box full of tomatoes that I planted in September as pups. They are now over my head and loaded with fruit. At least the cherries and a couple Roma types have been ready to pick this week, and I'm hoping to get a few more. I need to check the weather and get some blankets out there though, I guess.

mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #8952611

Are you guys concerned at all about the treated wood? That's the only thing keeping me from this project. :(

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #8952701

Mevnmart,
If you read the original article, the author points out that there are certain CODES stamped on the wood of the pallets, that tell you how the wood has been treated or processed in a certain way. The CODES help you determine if the wood is acceptable for use in constructing a vegetable/edible growing vessel.

Also, in the last 2 years (at least), I've been reading here and other places, that the pressure treated lumber now available no longer contains the arsenic and formaldehyde? that once prohibited its use in constructing vegetable/edible growing vessel(s), e.g. raised beds.

Linda

mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 3, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #8952746

I must have skipped over that bit in an effort to get to the juicy planting part! I'll have to take a peek at the pallets at work and see if they have codes stamped on them.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9061385

Hey Linda and Lise - looking for ideas on vertical gardening again this year and looks like the pallets are off to a good start. Keep us updated with this project!

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to go upright but the teepee trellis was deconstructed over the winter.

A.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9061819

How about this for vertical growing? Did it myself (with a neighbor's help) Monday evening. Only one trip to the ER for the thumb I banged with the hammer. Not expensive for office visit co-pay and the three X-rays to see if it was broken. Just looks ugly. And, I'll be able to bend it before I have to play for Holy Week services...

But, the tomatoes are happy!

And, once I construct the remaining RBs, and switch the tomatoes, I can use the fram as a bean trellis.

Linda

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 11:12 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9061854

Linda yer killin' me!

But the beds look awesome. You are a rockstar, never doubt it. :D

xox
A.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9061921

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox ^:-)^!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America