Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson: Thanksgiving Memories

Communities > Forums > Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Thanksgiving LessonReplies: 4, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

November 22, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8901333

Thanks again, Sharran for this wonderful Thanksgiving story -- and a reminder how important family traditions are. I too, had early traumatic experiences seeing my furry and feathered friends butchered and their roasted bodies appearing on the table. I became a staunch vegetarian, more and more staunch over the years. So my holiday tradition has become the preparation of marinated and roasted tofu, along with roasted purple potatoes and roasted table-queen squash, whole grain bread stuffing and made from scratch cranberry sauce. And a prayer of thanks that no animals gave up their life for my thanksgiving.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8901543

You know very well just how much I agree with you.
Happy Thanksgiving, Gloria!
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8908855

I became a vegetarian later in life. I just love so much the stories you tell. What a beautiful way for me to start my morning. Thanks for sharing.
skiekitty
Parker, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8908977

This article is very odd for me. But, then again, Thanksgiving is always very odd. I grew up in a household that did not welcome visitors, nor did it welcome family. I never knew any of my grandparents and the concept of having a dinner with extended family was 100% foreign (first of all, they were all too far away, second of all, no one liked them). I also grew up knowing that animals = dinner. My father spent 4 years in Vietnam during the Vietnam war, plus spent 2 years in Korea, so he sees almost all animals as some form of dinner or another. Not saying that I didn't have pets.. I grew up with dogs & cats like most people. But to shun eating an animal because it breathed and lived was unheard of.

I even learned the hard way that there was no Santa Claus when I was about 3. My father had gone deer hunting & had shot a buck. He had bought a clown-nose previously and, when he got home with the buck in the van, he put the clown nose on the buck's nose. He called my mother & myself out of the house to show us what he had brought home for dinner for about a month, and, looking VERY sternly at me, pointed at me and then at the deer. "You've been bad, so I had to go shoot Rudolph so Santa couldn't see you this Christmas" is what he told me. We still ate the deer.

When I was 5 years old, my father got me 4 baby bunnies for Easter. I named them Flopsy, Mopsy, Topsy, & Peter (from the Beatrix Potter books). He built a huge hutch that I could literally crawl into and it was my job to make sure they had food & water every day & to clean it top to bottom every Saturday morning after cartoons. We raised those rabbits for about 6 months. I don't think they were 3 females & 1 male because we never had babies, and bunnies are able to reproduce at 2 months of age, but didn't matter. They were very hand-tamed and would nibble on my fingers looking for lettuce or carrots. And, about a week before my birthday in October, my father had me & my sister come out to the back yard. He had me call out each bunny so that they would come to me, then I would hold the bunny by his hind legs & my sister would hold the bunny by the front legs, stretching it out. My father got out his club & wacked them smartly behind the head, killing them instantly. He then showed me how to gut & skin the bunnies, and I helped my mom cut & fry 'em up. We had bunny for dinner that night. Still love rabbit.. hard to find in grocery stores.

I know that this is a disgusting post & most of you are probably thinking I'm some kind of psycho. I promise I'm not. I have a whole passel of kitties at home and spent about 4 months mourning the passing of my golden retriever earlier this year. I love all my critters to the point of insanity (one of my kitties who passed away this year we called our $7000 cat because that's what her vet bills ended up costing in 2 years.. and we had adopted her from a local shelter). But, as a human, I understand that we didn't battle to the top of the food chain to eat tofu exclusively. I'm 100% for humane treatment of animals for slaughter / animal products (milk, eggs), and I respect those who want to be vegetarian by choice or by diet restrictions. But I'm still gonna eat me some nommy chicken / turkey / piggie / beef. http://lolmart.com/product/lolmart-shirts-baco-licious/

Thumbnail by skiekitty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 1, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8912374

I respect meat eaters who still wanna eat meat. Its a personal choice. Still, I think of the Australian hunters who ask forgiveness - then thanks for taking a life and recycling it as a carnivore. We all could stand to respect the life that animals have, and that goes for other human-animals as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Thanksgiving Lesson Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! adinamiti 15 Nov 30, 2008 6:56 PM
What a lovely family you have!!! frostweed 2 Nov 27, 2008 6:19 PM
Gobble Gobble phicks 1 Nov 27, 2008 6:20 PM
Enjoy today Susie2 3 Nov 27, 2008 7:07 PM
Beautiful Story! BennysPlace 2 Nov 28, 2008 2:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America