Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Question About Amaryllis Belladonna

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 2, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
1:15 PM

Post #8901683

Quick question. I have probably 50+ hippeastrum bulbs I force in stages each year. But I just bought my first bulbs of "true" Amaryllis (Belladonna). I'm in zone 7b/8a, and understand they're to live outdoors instead of trying to force. But aren't these supposed to be planted the same as hippe's - with their shoulders and neck above the soil? The picture on the bulb package says to plant them 4-6 inches deep, and I just can't imagine...

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 4:15 PM
GardenQuail
Mountain View, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2011
10:16 PM

Post #8906053

The info I have from Easy to Grow Bulbs says to plant them so that the top of the bulb is just below the surface of the soil, 12 inches apart if planting in the ground and 7 or 8 inches apart if planting in a container. (Mine are planted in large planters outdoors.) Hope this helps.
Michelle
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8907516

Thanks very much, Michelle. Another friend says the same thing. I figured the bulbs would just rot if placed that deeply in the soil, so I'm glad I waited for some clarification. Thanks again...

Scott

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America