Sewing, Quilting & Needle Arts: Fabric cutter

Communities > Forums > Sewing, Quilting & Needle Arts
Forum: Sewing, Quilting & Needle ArtsReplies: 4, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
Concord, NC

November 23, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8903360

Anyone know of a website that I could put the size of my block I need in and maybe a pattern and it tell me what size I need to cut? I have the hardest time with it... Some come with the directions some u gotta make up on your own :) thanks
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8903397 has a lot of blocks and gives the "cut" sizes for the pieces.
Usually if a pattern is written for templates it will only give the "finished" size. Anything that has roraty cutting directions will have the seam allowance added.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8904227

I LOVE I go and just "stroll", it's like cyber window shopping without your wallet.
(Elizabeth) DFW Area, TX

November 28, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8909470

Do you know the name of the block or the number of the block as listed in Barbara Brackman's encyclopedia of patchwork designs?

If you don't know either of those, maybe you could put a picture of the block up and we can identify it. I would be happy to put the block into Electric Quilt and send you the rotary cutting instructions for it once we know what the block is. :)

Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8917547

Quilter's cache also has some of the same block in multiple sizes. Just note if it has a traditional 1/4 " seam or a 'scant' 1/4 " seam.

I just picked up today a magazine from Fons and Porter called 'Sampler Quilts and Blocks' It's got 52 block designs and, from what I can see, all are given to finish in a 6", 9" and 12" block using 1/4" seams when sewn. They also have 6 original Quilt patterns and instructions on how to design your own quilt. I skimmed through. The blocks give the sizes for the pieces, whether you use a full, halved or quatered piece of fabric for the pieces, and a splayed diagram on block assembly. It looks as if this can be my answer to a neat array of blocks for a Civil War sampler quilt.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing, Quilting & Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 66 May 4, 2015 6:42 PM
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America