Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Passifloras: Fruit ripening question

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 9, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8904701

we've already had 4" of snow.. and plenty of cold rain days.. I've piles of fruit on the vine.. but they don't seem to be turning yellow.. and falling into my hands when touched.. at most a red blush.. perhaps from the cold..
I'll be digging thr lower part and the roots up soon to overwinter them.. but I'm leaving them out to ripen the fruit some.. will this still happen.. or does it need more heat that the 50's we're getting now...
and will the fruit be damaged with the frost...I'm just interested it it for the seeds..
This is Anastasia todaywoops.. yesterday.. Happy Thanksgiving...
oh.. she has a 1/2 dozen other flowers today also... I'm amazed.. and this after 4" of snow some 3 weeks ago..

This message was edited Nov 25, 2011 2:47 AM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8904958

Gordon, I'm amazed that you still have flowers! I didn't realize you were warmer than me. My stuff has been put away for a month now. I have one fruit on my Temp. x I'm hoping will ripen. I have my greenhouse finally done but I don't have heat in it yet, so it gets down in the 20's at night, so it's in my garage and I don't think it's warm enough.
If you get any seeds from your Annie I'd like to purchase some from you.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8905062

Yup.. we're warmer ... right on the water... surrounding us really.. not to mention all the heat generated here..from billions of lights and steam lines in the streets... trillions of windows leaking heat... although this is only good close by them... in the big picture it doesn't mean much.. but it must help some.. it doesn't hurt... the water does help... and the coastal wind systems often come to us from the Caribbean... when they aeren't out of Labrador or Alberta...; -)
the flowers are Annie [LOL] Annie... but the fruit there is Temptation X Temptation... I'll try to send out a hunk of Annie to you.. you can give it a try... I'm building up my cool room.. about a month late.. [ and my helper called and canceled today for himself..] I'll untwine as much as I can..to bring annie in somewhere and cut you some from there on out.. although Annie is still enjoying it.. I'm enjoying seeing her about flowering.. as if I needed more help in my denial..
ToTop it off... there're taking Manhattan away from me... well... not quite all of it... Thankfully... but more than I wanted to give away... I have had it all for 22 years.. and already feel the loss

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8905352

Thanks for the Annie cuttings of you can get to them!
What a gorgeous view you used to have! That really sucks!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8908918

HAY>>>I was moving annie inside the new cool room... and found three seed pods... might be more... so now I leave her out as long as I can... trying to ripen them it would be less traumatic then digging it out... migh t just get a small plastic skylight for the cool room... and keep thinga a bit more alive this winter... more work. ... but it will be an earlier spring flowering...
so we'll get cuttings and seeds..and have the root ball and a few feet of vines... it doesn't stand a chance of not getting through t the spring... ..but it will be an earlier spring flowering... and it's beauty has a 1/2 dozen flowers opened again today...
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8909771

Are the flowers fragrant?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8909788

The loss of your skyline is rather sad. Bummer!
Any chance you can rent the top floor on the new building?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8915520

mmmI was bringing Annie in anyway.. as it was getting cold... I took a seed pod from her and opened it... lovely firm shell .. and compleatly empty inside.. absolutely nothing.. no seeds or plup of any sort whatso ever.. empty and dry... real strange from what I've seen
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2011
9:29 PM

Post #8915543

Boo Hiss that sucks!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8921447

Yes... Roxanne... it does...I'd thought like always get the fruit and inside the seeds...
It's going to be below 32 and snow tomorrow they say... maybe just a dusting here in the city...
but I thought it best to bring the last of a few things downstairs... I have the vines growing everywhere... inside and out of places they choose... so I have to cut a bunch away to get the root ball inside.. so I'll be sending out the cuttings that were asked for or offered... in the nearer future than sometime..
so ... there were three dozen passi frruit there [ Temptation X Temptation ] months old but green... or just blushing a bit of red .. had to bring them in.. off the dead vines... having been chopped to save the root ball.. and vines I didn't have to pull through a bunch of trellis... I know... everyone should have a particular movable trellis... but that's not in keeping with the rampant wild growth with flowers everywhere I love to see... more of a forest takeover... coups if you will... than a garden

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America