Black Friday SalesAre You Shopping??

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I've been saving money and holding off on buy anything until these black friday sales. Are y'all catching these deals? I'm just thrilled with the bargains I've gotten.

I managed to snag a new Gateway computer, dual core, 6 gig ram, 1 TB hard drive, DVD/CDR drive, HDMI port, card reader, wifi and Windows 7 and lots of USB ports for $300 shipped. I also got a new Acer laptop, dual core, 4 gig ram, 500 gb hard drive, DVD/CDR, HDMI, wifi, card reader, wifi, Windows 7, 15.6" screen, and USB ports, for $360 shipped. And I bought a new wireless HP Officejet 4500 printer for $50. I can sell my old equipment for almost as much as I paid for these new ones.

I've waited all year patiently, saving money and checking out the specs to see exactly what I want. The equipment I've bought is upgradable and I know how to upgrade them myself if I need to. I tell ya, it feels good to know I'm going to have some "up to date" equipment again. And I did most of my shopping online. The printer I happened to catch at Sam's today when I went in to get groceries. I'd found the same printer online for $50 with $20 shipping, so I saved a few bucks by buying it a Sam's. I was surprised that Sam's wasn't swamped. I guess other stores were having better black friday deals. But if you don't want to deal with the crowds, the same stores have online sales too.

I also get sneak previews each year of the Black Friday ads before the general public gets to see the ads. There's actually a group that researches them all and gets the inside scoop way before the ads are released. You can sign up for the ads, which only come out for about 2 months, around this time each year. You can email webmaster@bfads.net . They don't spam you and you won't hear from them any other time of the year. But this time of year, they'll give you links to the ads before they're released. You can also follow them on facebook at www.facebook.com/bfads if you don't want to sign up for their emails.

So who's shopping? Online or in store? Were your stores crowded? What bargains did you get??

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I never shop on black Friday but there were some people camped for 3 days in front of the store, Incredible!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

I did not go shopping today but went last Wed and it was crowded then. I was told that the sale was the same as black Friday.

I do not too much about computers but it sounds like a good buy for youl

i am all set for the Holidays as far as dresses. I think i bought over 20. I am a bad girl!!! Managed to hide them before DH finds out!!! LOL!!

We are out of town and i normally buy clothes here so I will not have anybody using the same dress.

Belle

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i got the vacuum cleaner i've been lusting over all year! regular price 400+ for the LG Kompressor PetCare Plus-picked it up online from Bed Bath & Beyond for 249 (free shipping both ways) and paid with discover so an additional 5% cash back! yay!!!

i did tons of research on this one and i've never seen so many positive reviews on a product.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Congrats, Track!! That's awesome! I hope it lives up to its reputation and that you're pleased with it for years to come.

This past summer, I snagged a great deal on Shark Vacuum/Steamer, and I love it! I don't have carpet and I HATE mopping with a sponge mop or old string mop. But I LOVE using this steamer. OMG, what a back and time saver! I hope you love your new vacuum as much as I love my steamer.

Yesterday, I dropped in at my favorite flea market, which has a huge warehouse of used furniture. I was looking for a new desk for my office but they didn't have what I needed at this time. However, they were having a 20% off sale and their prices are so cheap anyway. I found a beautiful nice padded chair for my little dressing table. It was priced at $15. And I found a beautiful, ornate, elegant casual chair for my living room priced at $35. With 20% off, they were really a steal. I love them! The casual chair looks great in the living room and is soooo comfortable. I think it's my new favorite seat in the house. LOL

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ohhhh, i love bargain furniture! pictures please!!!

i posted this pic in another forum but i'll post it here too. bargain furniture all the way! you'll have to put sunglasses on for my color scheme. lol it's not for everyone but i love it.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

If I had that window and it had sunshine, there would be potted plants on the floor and five cats replacing them.

I don't think I ever buy anything that isn't on sale. I love the hunt, the capture and the trip home!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

like this?
this is an old picture of tomboy jones.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Move over Tomboy, Mommy needs a nap.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lol

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Online here. I wait for deep discounts and free shipping and am always proud of this time of year. There should be no reason to pay for shipping or retail prices at all from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

Online because after I work in a retail business, the last thing I want to do is fight the crowds. DH & I avoid anything but the grocery store from now till the first of the year.

Darius posted this link on another thread. Handy if you are considering an electronics purchase and want to know if it will be a good buy or should you wait... http://www.decide.com/

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Track, I love your room! That window seat is gorgeous with all those plants in it. But I'd be more like the cat and shove all the plants to the side and nap there. LOL Even the cat knows it's a nice room to relax in.

Below is a picture of my new chair. With tax and everything, I think it ended up costing $30. It's big and comfortable.

Podster, I'm with you. I avoid stores until after Christmas. I really try to avoid them til after New Year's since they're all clearancing their Christmas stuff. You definitely won't see me at Walmart til after that. At Sam's, I bought enough food to last me about a month.

We don't exchange gifts in our family. We decided that as adults, we can't really afford to buy each other what we really want. So instead of spending a lot of money buying useless presents for one another, we take that money and just buy ourselves what we want. Then we're all happy and we don't have to exchange anything. So the only shopping I do is for myself. Oh, I forgot, I will be buying something for my roommate's 6 yr old granddaughter. She visits a few times a week and I just adore her. So I'll sneak in somewhere and get her a few things, but that's it. Kids are too much fun to buy for. But I have no idea what to get her. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

love that chair! great bargain!
i'm with you girls, no fighting in the stores for me either. i do my shopping online and over the years i've whittled down both the amount of people and the amount of dollars.
i like to get ideas from the few magazines that i still subscribe to and i do give several magazine subscriptions to a few girl friends. i do the auto renew on amazon and we're all happy.

my sister gave a neighbor's little girls a play tent several years ago and it is still up in their living room and the girls still use it for play and for quiet alone time too. their mother swears it is the best gift they've ever received. here is a link to some on sale at target. ps. if you have a discover card you can link in through their online shopping site to get to target and get 10% cash back. http://www.target.com/c/toys-dress-up-pretend-play-play-tents-tunnels/-/N-5xt92

we should do a thread on pictures of bargain furniture buys we've made through the years and keep it under 100 for each item....how fun! or maybe it's been done already?

here's a recliner i picked up at the battered women's thrift store a couple of weeks ago...real leather and made in usa for $50. i originally had the plants on that windowseat but then moved them to my bedroom to get more light on them that living room windowseat is useless. the window is too high to see out. what were they thinking???

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Good tip on shopping thru discovercard. You do benefit more as well as cash back.

Love those chairs... makes me want to go sit down and lounge for the day.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i hate that discover makes you jump through the hoops though. i would like it better if i could just pay with discover on any website i'm using and get the additional cash back reward but to get their specials offers, you can't. i also hate that i have to sign up every couple of months for the 5% reward thing.
i recently got the B of A Rewards card and that one is 1% all the time on everything but grocery is 2% all the time and gas is 3% all the time....no signing up for anything. your dollars build up and if you wait until you have $300 built up and transfer the amount to your checking account, they gave you an extra 10%..i think it's 10, maybe more.
so now i use my discover only when they are doing a 5% back deal on something i want/need...or when they are running these special rewards offers with the "deals" tab in the link for coupons and free shipping and bonus cash back.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

That chair would go nicely with my $75 loveseat.....LOL

5hat

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

How true, Meezer! That cat goes nice with your loveseat too!

Track, I love that big leather chair. It would go nice with my big sectional. The chair looks so inviting! Let's grab a book and kick back and read a while.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

omg, the chair and loveseat look like they really go together!
sounds like we should all be trading around.
i made a big pot of chili this afternoon and now a good book sounds great.

meezer, your fur kid reminds me so much of my old buffski from years ago.
this picture is really going back a long time.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Pretty....I love the blue point coloring. They look a lot alike.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I saved so much money on Black Friday -- because I didn't spend any. Not a dime. Nor did I on Saturday. On Sunday, though, I needed gas & groceries.
Holiday shopping frenzies make me feel coerced & manipulated.
That's not to say I don't have a state-of-the-art multi-computer office setup bought earlier in the year! (Butterfly, I hope you went with a touch-screen model; they are so much fun!)

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

No, I didn't get a touch screen model. I didn't even look at any. I actually never even thought about them. Maybe in a few years when I upgrade, I'll do that. I didn't even get a touch screen phone. I looked at two phones--one touchscreen and one not. And I opted for the one that wasn't. I think I'm afraid I'd wear out the screen. Does that happen?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i just finished vacuuming half the house and i LOVE my new LG! it is well made and the controls are on the handle, which i think is really cool. it has a lot of power. i'm going to do the living room next-with the power head attachment, since that is the only room with an area rug. it is a sunken living room and that is, fortunately, the only time i have to actually lift the vacuum because it is a lot heavier than others i've had. i attribute that to being a better quality machine. it is SO quiet. tomboy jones (the cat) would have appreciated that feature. he hated cleaning day! lol

i am so out of the loop when it comes to the new phones and computers. i feel ancient when i see all the new products available and i can't figure any of them out.

i saw another of butterfly's threads about the magic jack, etc. and just don't know if i'm getting a good deal on all my stuff or not. i have my Dish (200+ channels with HD), free long distance and local landline phone with some bells/whistles and my hi-speed internet service all bundled together for 150 a month. we make a lot of long distance calls and we have 3 tv's (one with HD for john).
in addition to that stuff, he has the tracphone and i have the gophone (both are 100 a year and are used only when traveling or in an emergency). we both have tons of rollover minutes that we'll never use in a million years but i wouldn't give these phones up.
any thoughts on this? sorry, this is probably not the right thread for this discussion but i'll wait to see what bc says.

to keep on track, i did get all my online christmas shopping completed and didn't spend much money this year....always free shipping plus cash back on cc's.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

That's probably a good deal on your dish, phone, and internet if you use all that stuff. I gave up my home phone and just pay $40 for internet now. I switched my home phone to tracfone and still rarely use it. It costs me about $100 a year too, which I think is wonderful. I also got one of those free Safelink phones (for us po' fo'ks) and I've had to use it a few times when my regular phone's battery went dead. Since I rarely use the phone, I sometimes forget to check if it's charged. LOL

I'm so glad I'm the only person on my Christmas list. LOL We all stopped exchanging gifts decades ago. Instead, we "gift" each other throughout the year with something they really want--help sealing the deck, help putting on a new roof, a nice homecooked meal, that perfect tool they'd been looking for at just the right price, or giving each other a lift when the car breaks down on the highway, etc. These gifts are worth so much more, but they usually don't cost us much more than our time. I really don't miss the gift exchange. It always seemed like such a chore.

For the last two years, I've been busy with a charity program and Nov and Dec are so busy for us as we prepare for one of our biggest charity events. So I'm really glad now that I don't have to mess with Christmas. We are just consumed right now and for the next couple of weeks with this event. It's getting very stressful, so I'm grateful to not have the stress of Christmas shopping added right now. Good luck to those of you who have to battle the Christmas crowds.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

if it were just me here at home, i would get rid of the landline in a heartbeat. john doesn't like using the cellphone because he is hard of hearing and there is only one phone in the house that he likes...and yes, we use all that stuff...sad to say...sigh.

i have a few girlfriends, my sister and my daughter on my list. my sister's present is actually birthday since she's a late december baby.
i give to our local pet rescue and to one in st.louis (my hometown).

i'm going home for christmas for the first time in at least 15 years so i'll be battling airport crowds but after making the decision to go, i'm looking forward to it.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I love Christmas. Love love love it! But my family is composed mostly of devout Christians so the meaning of it resonates loud & clear, drowning out any of the static of holiday franticity (?!). Of course, we also have a strong family heritage of only engaging in traditions that we enjoy & respect. So there is no stress or pressure involved & very little spending. Lots of time on the phone catching up with everyone!

I think we mostly go out of our way NOT to be part of the buying frenzy.

Butterfly, the touch screens do not wear out. And mine is 23" wide, great for bad eyesight, and it doubles as an HD television or Blu-Ray DVR, can be mounted on the wall & comes with a remote. So cool, eh? The touch screen is a great option too for avoiding carpal tunnel if you use the computer for your living. Pinching zooms in & out, a flick zips you back a page or forward, and of course you can pick anywhere on the screen or double tap to get shortcut menus.

I'd bet that I use the finger-scroll most often.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I could never get used to the touch-screen scrolling on a laptop, so that was part of my decision not to get one in a phone. I still use a mouse with my laptop. I'm sure I'd love a touch screen if I took the time to really use one. Maybe my next phone upgrade will be a touchscreen. I see all the restaurants now have touch screen computers. They make it look so easy! A friend has a touch screen phone and loves it, but her phone screen is all scarred up from overuse. That's what I'm afraid my computer screen would look like if I got a touch screen. In a few years when I'm ready to upgrade again, maybe I'll try it. But by then, they may have some other cool thing for computers. I just can't keep up with technology...but I love trying!

Ripley, MS

Hi Nancy Ann-I wanted to tell you that a touch screen has to have a protective cover or it will get scratched.
I have the IPhone 4 and an IPad2 and I have covers on both of those. I got my phone for Christmas last year, and the IPad was my Mothers Day gift. I have my phone in an otter box as I am clumsy, and also let the grand kids play with it.
The IPad has been a joy, especially since I broke my arm on Sept 29th. I still can't use my left hand, which is dominant, it was several weeks before I could even lift my lapto, but the IPad is perfect. I don't know about the desk type touch screen pc, but I am pretty sure they have the covers available for them too.
I finished up my shopping today, most of it has been done on line, but went to real stores today and the crowds are really bad. I hope to only shop for food now for the rest of this year. I also have 3 Dec birthdays to shop for and have that finished too!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I can't imagine that my Dell touch screen will get scratched because I'm using only the pads of my fingers, and very softly at that. It is so sensitive that tiny calico cat Rosie's tail swishes all sorts of flashing stuff into existence.

The screen cleans up with rubbing alcohol & a soft cloth.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Sandra, how'd you break your arm? That's awful!

I too plan only to shop for food until after new years. I did go online and order some head massagers for the ladies at the office. I was given one at a spa party and took it to the office. Anytime one of the ladies is having a stressful day, they'll come get it. One Ebay, they're only a buck, so I bought everyone one. They're amazing! Within 30 seconds, you can massage all the stress away with this spider looking thing.

So if we get any strange posts from you, Summerkid, we'll know that Rosie is playing on the computer. LOL Can we see a picture of her? I love Calicos. The one I had, Tori, would lie on top of my computer monitor with a paw dangling off into the screen to catch the cursor as it moved across the screen.

Ripley, MS

I was starting the fall edging and the handle broke on my edger, it THREW me down, I landed on my wrist folded under. Needless to say, the beds are not cleaned, and will not be until spring. I am hoping to be healed by then, I ordered a new edger and it is steel, I would have to run it over with a truck to break it!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh Sandra, that edger was soooo mean!! I'm sorry! Ask your doc would extra calcium or other vitamins help speed up the healing process.

I just bought a Superpad tablet. It's like an Ipad but cheaper. I can't wait to get it. It's coming from TX so it should be here by New Year's according to their shipping policy. I hope it's what I think I want. It has GPS too, so I thought it would be a great "travel companion". Sandra, you know how easily I get lost. Maybe google maps can keep me straight and I can really explore Memphis. The superpad has a touch screen, but I also bought the USB keyboard that works with it. If I'm typing emails, I'll probably want the slightly bigger keyboard than what is on the screen.

Track, when you get home, tell us how your trip home went. Were the lines long at the airport? I hope you enjoyed your visit with your family.

Our Christmas really begins tomorrow. My sis from OH comes in tonight so we start celebrating after she gets here. This is the only time of the year we see her.

Have y'all seen a lot of Christmas lights up? My german shepherd mix, Nikko, gets so excited at the light displays. I've taken him out the last 4 nights to see the lights. He races around the car and strains his neck to see them all, wagging his tail and bouncing excitedly. He loves Christmas! LOL

I hope y'all have had a wonderful Christmas. Did you get any exciting electronics we can talk about?

Ripley, MS

No electronics here this year, but I think I might have enough--lol--

I hope you enjoy what you ordered, let us know when it gets here.

I am going to have to go to a hand/wrist specialist and have surgery on the arm, it still hurts badly.
They are setting up the appt from where I was going, but have not called yet. I am sure it is because of holiday breaks.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Sandra, I hope everything goes well with your surgery. And I hope your hand heals before spring. I know you don't want to miss a minute of gardening season.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

happy holidays, everyone!
i'm back home, none the worse for wear. the airports, both orlando and st.louis, were pretty much of a breeze. i was surprised. i fly southwest and they are always friendly and pretty great altogether...no baggage charge either.
i had a really good visit and got to see snow the last day.
i did bring home a horrible head cold.....arghhhh.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm surprised at the ease of your trip. I figured things would be pretty hectic during holiday travel. The weather has been pretty nice this season so far, so I'm sure that helped--no cancelled flights due to snow or anything. And maybe Southwest is the way to fly too. Welcome home!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images