Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: Sample Size Quilts - Any one ever make one?

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8906315

I am going to be doing some craft shows and want to bring samples of some quilts. I don't want to make a bunch of quilts, hope some one likes them and they sell. I just want to bring some samples to show people but not sure how big should these be?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8906562

That depends. Are you showing the quality of your work or a particular pattern? I would make something that could be used as, say, a wall hanging, or place mat size, or a table topper. Wall hangings can be any size, from a 12" square to 36" or more. They don't have to be square. Say you have a pattern where the blocks are12" sq, three blocks across and three down is a nice size to show the pattern and, later, it could be used as a wall hanging or table topper. A couple of regular sized quilts would be nice. Something you could use as gifts if they don't sell. Baby quilts are always popular. I'm sure you will come up with right way to show case your work and patterns available. Good luck!!!

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8907109

Thank you
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8907403

My experience is people find it hard to think "outside the box". If you only have small samples they will not be able to envision something bigger.
How about taking pictures of finished quilts and having a binder with 8 X 10 pics. Take them on a bed or hanging so people can "see" the actual size.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8909460

That's a good idea too. Thanks.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8910685

Qwilter, that is a very good point. I hang around people who make quilts and most of us can visualize finished quilts pretty well, but there are those that can't, so your idea is a darn good one!! It is hard to figure out the buying customer sometimes so any ideas are worth trying. One thing non-quilters don't realize is how much time and effort and money goes into making a quilt. And now, with the price of fabric what it is... Well, I guess we just have to educate them the best we can.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America