AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8908492

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223389/

This is a photo from last season of the BST that emerged from my outside closet in April.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8909347

Nice photo--they are so beautiful when they 1st emerge.

Thanks for the new thread

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8909418

Thanks Amanda for the new thread. We're experiencing our first wintery weather today. No new pic. but this one from the summer. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving with family Bruce and Amanda.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8909428

2 beauties! I hope to have some of those cruising around for the spring.

Russell

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 28, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8909570

While we're posting pictures of swallowtails, I love this one from 2010. :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8910266

Hi,
I came across two pics on FLICKR while researching a camera I'm considering. The gentleman is from Australia, but these were taken while vacationing in Arizona.

He asked if anyone knew the I.D. of the butterflies. You won't be able to answer directly unless you're logged in to FLICKR, so I thought I could pass on the info. I would, of course, give the credit to the DG members.

Pic #1
/photos/62434662@N05/6409832917/in/pool-dmc-fz50
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8910271

Pic # 2 (he said this one was about 3/4")
/photos/62434662@N05/6409825249/in/pool-dmc-fz50

Thanks in advance!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8910655

n.a.n. The first one looks like a Question Mark bf. maybe. The second one I needed help. Amanda, that is a nice pair of Swallowtails!!!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8910843

I posted on Flicker. I think the first one is a West Coast Lady. And Maybe a Marine Blue on the second?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8910900

Thanks Lily_love & Mrs_Ed!!!

Marna, I spent some time looking at your pictures on FLICKR. They're BEAUTIFUL . . .you are really talented!!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8911178

Nuts wonderful pics.
My husband and I were sitting out on Sunday enjoying the wonderful weather and several Monarchs were still laying eggs. A sulfur tried to visit the Cassia tree, but the Monarch chased it off, seems to want to dominate the garden. Didn't seem to mind the GF's...but if they came close to the milkweed it too was chased off. Anyway it was all a pretty interesting show. Had some cooler weather come in yesterday, so may have chased them further south for a bit.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8911766

Awww, thanks nuts!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8921900

Good news!

The only thing now standing between me and Carphephorus corymbosus is a SASE! :D

Will update as I progress.

A.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

December 8, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8921957

That is good news, Amanda. By chance, a friend of mine who is an entomologist is heading "home" to Florida the week of Christmas. He was telling me he was going to get some seeds of a great nectar plant in his mom's yard that swallowtails come to by droves. You guessed it -- the very same plant, Carphephorus corymbosus. Assuming of course that he can find it, he might be able to supply me with seed in case you don't get very many. I'll keep you posted. I thought it quite the coincidence.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
http://www.dallasbutterflies.com

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8922071

Good, good! The more, the merrier. :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8928830

Coincidence of the great kind!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8929467

Waiting for this batch to come via my SASE sent to our generous donor. ;)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 19, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8935337

I know everyone is busy...but yesterday I went for a hike...I got seeds! Dmail me if interested. I don't have too many.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8936132

woo hoo. congrats.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2011
10:51 PM

Post #8936571

Lovely!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 23, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8941095

Did you get enough to pass around? Anyone who still needs it - I should have mine soon as well. :)

I'll post when it gets here to see how many trades there maybe. Then please Dmail me. I wonder about germination rates and whether like asters many seeds need to be sown. I will have to look into propagation treatment as well.

Any thoughts Dale or Sheila?

A.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8941473

Not me. I usually don't try to start anything from seeds enough to know.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8941550

I've been searching and found nothing in print. Think I would wintersow this one just to be sure.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8945564

Yes I think I have plenty to pass around...I have never mailed seeds so you will have to let me know how it works. I am not going to be able to mail until after mid Jan. Going to be gone for a bit, but will be glad to mail to anyone that wants some...just let me know. I will say these grow in very sandy soil where I get them and in pretty much full sun.
Sherri
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8947066

Sherri, I d-mailed you. I will do just about anything for my butterflies. ..

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #8971272

Hey all - haven't posted in a while - hope you all enjoyed the holidays!

I have received my FL paintbrush seeds too, so if Sherri runs out there's more here.

Happy New Year. :)

A.
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #8980037

Hello everyone... I have not been on this forum for some time. I raised Luna cats and Monarch cats during the summers of 2007 and 2008, but have not been able to do so for the past couple years. I would like to do so again this year. If anyone could give me info on where I can purchase Luna eggs this Spring, please d-mail me!

It's kinda funny, but even up until last summer, Luna moths would visit our balcony regularly (we live in a third-story apartment facing the woods) this is where I raised and released all my moths. Can they still have a sense like that generations later? Maybe I'm crazy to think so...

Thanks in advance!
Have a blessed week!
Karen
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #8980104

Hi Karen, I don't know where you can purchase the eggs, but if you find a female you can put her in a large paper bag over night, and the bag will have eggs all over the inside by morning.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #8985295

Not much going on here, but I did discover a monarch cat today on what's left of my tropical milkweed. The plant isn't looking too good, but seems to have attracted at least one visitor.

Russell

This message was edited Jan 28, 2012 10:53 AM

Thumbnail by yakmon

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #8985333

O my gosh...can't imagine seeing a cat in January!! How nice that would be!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #8985576

That is great to see Russell. Makes me hope all those late arrivals found somewhere in TX to lay eggs on the way south.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8985922

I only had my phone when this guy came by. I caught a glimpse of a hummingbird moth right at dusk, but couldn't get a pic of it.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #8986114

Wow Russell - what a treat (?!). Are you bringing him/her inside?

Thanks for sharing.

A.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #8986233

Is this a thread for last year's pictures or ?

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #8986261

These are current pics from yesterday. I live in a subtropical area on the Texas coast. We have been extremely warm this winter and I still have many plants in bloom. Yesterday I saw the red admiral pictured above, a grey hairstreak, a Gulf Fritillary, several queens and some monarchs nectaring in my back yard. This is all very strange because last year at this time, all of my plants were dead or dormant from the cold blasts we had.

Amanda - I think I am going to let nature take it's course, but if we have any really cold weather threatening, I will bring them inside. I discovered another cat on the same plant as I continued to look yesterday.

Should be a great spring for butterflies, especially since some areas are receiving a little rain here and there.

Anyone else seeing any activity?

Russell

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #8986284

That's great. Just popping in to see what ya'll were doing. No activity here but we have been much warmer than normal.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #8987056

All I'm seeing are stink bugs and lady bugs inside here and there. My BST cats are still snug in their cocoons, but with temps on Feb 1 going up to 70, I might think about moving them to the basement where they'll stay at or below 50 deg.

A.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #8987059

Last week while temp. was unseasonably warm here, I got a bad case of spring fever...so I went and visit my fav. local nursery. There at the nursery I saw a couple sulphers flitting about. Poor butterflies will suffer no doubt. Temp. dropped back down to the low 20'ish last night. Yike!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #8989535

Wow Yakmon that is so neat to have cats this early...I am seeing a couple Monarchs everyday in the garden, still have a couple lanky milkweeds blooming that I really want to cut down but they are coming for the nectar. I did notice that one of the bushes that I cut down and is now growing back has some flower buds starting...so soon as that has flowers I'll cut the others down. I think these Monarchs live in my garden...they are out here everyday and have been all winter. Some sulphers and lots of long tailed skippers.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #8989995

Same here sunkissed. I am pretty sure we have resident monarchs and queens around here year round, weather permitting of course. I read this article at http://monarch-butterfly.info/Migration.html and it said, "The Monarchs east of the Rockies basically have a destination of the Sierra Madre Mountains in Mexico, although a smaller population winters along the southeastern coastal regions of Texas. Many Monarch Butterflies are seen in Florida during the winter, but these may not migrate and seem to enjoy their year around resident status in the sunshine state."

Whatever the reason, I am always happy to see them cruising around.

Russell

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #8990129

I decided to take my mesh container of BST chrysalises down into the basement today where it doesn't get above 50 degrees this time of year.

It's forecast to be almost 70 degrees tomorrow, and I don't want there to be any confusion about what time of year it is!!! :/

A.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #8990809

A.
Don't you love this weather? It's been an amazing winter but I'm scared our trees and plants are going to suffer come April. Tulips are popping up and buds on all trees and roses.

Kathy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #8993107

Amanda I imagine all this crazy weather can play such havoc on butterfly harvesting. My husband ready yesterday where the bears are coming out of hibernation early, I think the animals know more than we do and a good sign winter will end early this year.

Here is some interesting info on the Florida Monarch...

http://adver-net.com/aboutFLM.html

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #8993700

I find it hard to believe but I noticed holes in the leaves and sure enough...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #8993704

And six that I count of these...yeah that is cat dung...so I bet I end up finding another..way too much chew for just one. I guess I better get my seeds planted.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 3, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #8993705

Congrats! lol

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #8993801

Holy caterpillar!!!

We are in for a roller coaster ride this season, aren't we?! Better get started with my seeds too - and how!!!

xox
A.

p.s. Over 70 here today. Glad I took the BST to the basement yesterday.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 3, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #8993831

Sherri, I've zone envy big time. Is there affordable property near you? Mean while I'd better get packed. lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #8994314

Oh Sunkissed, that is such a welcome sight.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #8998553

I brought a monarch cat in on Sunday because it was so cold outside and it just looked miserable. I fed it some leaves from my milkweed and kept it inside. Today I have a chrysalis! Hopefully we will get a successful eclose soon.

Russell
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #8998746

You guys take good care of those cats, so they can fly north later!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #8998844

That's awesome Russell. :)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9003818

Hey all we just got back from a week camping and I still have two nice sized cats on my milkweeds. Last night it dipped, or I should say early this morning to 33 for about an hour or two. I brought in my tender container plants in to the FL room last night and one cat is on a container milkweed plant, so it is inside the warm FL room. This morning I see another cat on a milkweed outside, it is not moving but still on the underside of a leaf. It is to get down to 34 again tonight, should I remove the cat and bring it in and place on the other milkweed? I don't know how cold of temps they can take. It should get up to low 50's today and sunny, should I wait until later to see if it moves again?
Sherri

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9003854

I don't think an overnight drop would hurt it, as long as it warmed up during the day. Sometimes they will drop to the ground and get in leaf litter until they warm up too.
But if you want to bring it in, clip the stem or leaf it is on rather than disturbing it. It could be trying to shed skin and you would cause damage by moving it.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9003910

Thanks Shelia, I did just clip the leaf and brought it in and laid it in the milkweed pot, within a few minutes it started moving around again and now is up on the plant chomping away. yeah! I feel better now.
Sherri

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9004132

Way to go Sherri!!!

I know you were not one to bring them in when I was a nervous wreck, wringing my hands over them. Be careful!!!! ;)

A.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9004626

Good job!
It is sleeting and snowing here in north central TX tonight. :-(

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9004997

Well it was a good thing I did, the bird bath was frozen solid this morning, it was 34 when I went to bed at midnight last night. They are both in the FL room happily chomping away with no idea how cold it is outside. This weather is so crazy, they say in two days it will be back up to 80 here.
Thanks for the help with my cats!
Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9004998

Opps..guess I don't have this new 5 photo thing down yet...lol

Thumbnail by sunkissed

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9005094

Sherri - thanks for the smile. :)

A.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9012189

12 days later, we have a newly eclosed monarch! I took it outside and placed it on my milkweed plant...seems happy to me.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9012229

How nice Russell!
My three cats have gone off now to pupate, two on Friday and the last one left yesterday sometime. I looked around for them but have so many plants, figure they are in my Podocarpus hedge somewhere.
Last week the three of them had devoured the only fresh leaves I had on my milkweed plant, I had to run out to find more for them. It wasn't easy to find this time of year. I went to my local garden center and they had cut all theirs back and so went to the home depot and Lowe's, nothing...I was about to panic, then found some at a garden center, they just got it in that very day. I bought two yellow milkweed plants not flowering yet but had lots of fresh new leaves. Put those pots up next to my other plant and they happily moved over to it. I planted many milkweed seeds and have some coming up that reseeded around the garden, but none nowhere near to providing food for the cats. Monarchs are visiting daily, I see one or two fluttering around the flowers.
Today I see I have another new caterpillar, so good thing I bought more plants.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9012654

What do ya'll do for aphids on your milkweed? I have some milkweed in pots in the greenhouse and the tops are covered with aphids (going to cut them back and burn for now) guess I need to order some ladybugs.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9012684

I blast them with the sprayer attached to my water hose. I hold the affected stalk(s) in one hand and point the sprayer with the other, spraying them with the "jet" setting. It works fairly well for small areas and seems to keep them off for a good while. Catching them before they are out of control is difficult, but makes a lot of difference.

Good luck...now if I could just figure out a way to get rid of white flies!

Russell

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9012877

I was told by my nursery that is totally organic, as I am that milkweed aphids difficult to get rid of. I had them pretty bad last year during the really hot humid months, I just carefully would inspect to make sure no larvae or eggs and just squish them in my fingers, kind of gross but it actually worked to tone them down some...you do need a really good close up eye sight. I will not use chemical insecticides, as they may kill my Monarch eggs and larvae. I would be afraid that using the water spray would also spray off cats and eggs. Generally, these aphids will not disturb the milkweeds or the Monarch larvae.

As far as white flies I only had that problem one time and think I bought the plant with the problem, it was a just cut back plant, so I cut it back again, and then sprayed the soil with soapy water and alcohol. The plant grew back fine and had no more white flies and it the one my three caterpillars just devoured.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9014343

those are beautiful sights to me up here in the north. Can't wait to see my first cat, though it's months away.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9014384

FL & south TX you rock! So excited to see the new cats meaning it is right around the corner until we will see spring butterflies. I need to pull back the leaves off of my mw today so they will be ready for the spring migration. I will be warm this week maybe they will start putting out some growth. I can always blow leaves back on the beds if a freeze is coming.

As for aphids, I squish them after checking for cats and eggs too. I will clip the tops only if I have cats or eggs with a bad infestation. I put them in a container until the cats are larger then destroy the aphids.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9016392

There were quite a few visitors today in the yard today. I saw 1 gulf frit, some sort of black swallowtail - I never got a good look at it, several monarchs, a couple of red admirals and a bunch of small skippers. All of them were camera shy, though. I didn't get any good pictures at all...I am just happy to see them around. This time last year, it was barren around here and we were recovering from a deep freeze!

Hope you all get some visitors soon.

Russell

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9016617

I saw a cabbage white flit thru the garden today. I was surprised! But then again, the honey bees are out as are all manner of flies and other "things." :D

I am checking my 19 BST cats/chrysalises everyday, just to be sure. They don't get hit with direct sun, but I open the door wide in the afternoon so they get the reflected/ambient light and outdoor temp.

Sowing my MWs this week. LOTS. Don't want to get caught like I did last year worrying about whether I had enough to feed the cats. I think I will stagger my A. curassavica to have some in varying stages as the cats seem to prefer it.

Also - I think I am going to forego the Cassia/senna this year. It was sooooo much work and anxiety. :/

Glad to hear from Sherri and Russell. Now we all have the bug. :P

A.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9016876

I noticed last nigh I have four Gulf frit cats on my Lady Margaret passiflora. There isn't much new growth since it froze back pretty good. I didn't see any last year..so this is a good sign. I also have four new Monarch cats on my milkweed.

As far as flying around, have seen Monarch, really nice sized clouded yellow, and lots of long tailed skippers. I haven't seen any Gulf frits flying around recently, but they must have been.
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

February 23, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9017678

Not something from my yard, but thought I'd post it anyway. This is a Forest Giant Owl (Caligo eurilochus), one of the new butterflies that we're flying at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden's live butterfly exhibit from March 3rd - April 8th. The first ones emerged today and I've begun releasing them into the conservatory. These guys are really cool -- and huge!

Not as dazzling, but I did see a good number of butterflies in my yard today -- Orange Sulphurs, Question Marks, Gulf Fritillaries and a Red Admiral. It was 82 degrees today and it felt great!

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9019305

That's one pretty looking butterfly there Dale. Glad to hear some of us get to enjoy those beautiful butterflies early in the season. I saw some type of Sulphur flitting about the other day. Those are the first to come out in the season. I'm glad to see them. Also, I collected some wild senna seeds last Fall. I sow about a dozen of them after I soaked them in hot water for 8+ hours. Glad to report I've 100% germination.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 25, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9019328

Oh I like that butterfly Dale...it dazzles me.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9020000

Oohhh! I can't wait to see that one in person Dale. It looks a bit ghostly velvet! Nice new one!
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

February 25, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9020196

Sheila -- yes, the Owls are pretty spectacular. We've gotten three different species so far. The down side is that, like the Morphos, they close their wings when they land and only rarely open them to bask. Will you be at the training day on Thursday? If so, I'll see you then.

Dale

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9020833

A few visitors today. These were a little more cooperative than the last group. Everything seemed to be attracted to purples and pinks today.

In order...my guesses

Fiery skipper, unknown moth, monarch, red admiral, tropical checked skipper.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9020863

Fabulous pics. Russell. Wow. Your unknow moth is a Tersa Sphinx moth, I think. I wanted to be where you're! lol

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9020886

Thanks for the ID!...I looked and looked through moth pictures on the Internet trying to find it and finally gave up. I think it must have been newly hatched. I brought it inside and showed the kids, at first it couldn't fly, it looked like it was running along the ground. After a couple of minutes of "running," it took off and never looked back. Kind of a dreary day here, but the Bfs don't seem to mind.

Russell

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9021576

Oh again, so great to see all these butterflies!!

I've seen one of those Owls before and they are so huge!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9026101

Good Lord, Russell, I have to look you up on the map to see where this butterfly haven is!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9026114

Wooohoooo! Can you believe I've seen my first Yellow Tiger Swallowtail for the season. Will be back after supper to post some pix of the beauty!
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9026137

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/Maps.html
migration map
Kathy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9026151

Hi Kathy, thanks for the link. Okay as I promised, here comes my very first 'tiger' for the year!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9026161

Ooops, let's me try that again.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9026324

Nice Lily! I have never seen a tiger around here. I have seen a couple of pipevines around though. Hopefully the BSTs will come visit. I have some parsley, dill and fennel growing now, much more than last year. Can't wait for the visitors.

Russell

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9026362

Hi Russell, I myself can't differentiate b/w the Pipevines and the Black form Swallowtails. I've those hostplants kept over winter in the basement. I'm getting ready to harden them up and move them out soon. Like you, I can't wait for those winged visitors. Oh joy, the growing season will take off soon.
EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9026517

Joy,,, with this warm weather, will be seeing some butterflies soon!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9026720

A Gulf frit made a chrysalis on my garden hose. Glad I spotted it before using the hose, told DH about it and he is so sweet that I noticed he was using the front yard hose yesterday to clean the cat litter box out. Come on how many men would care about a butterfly and do that? ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9027389

I would keep the chrysallis safe, but i don't know about the kiddy litter box! lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9027427

LOL, Bruce. Sherri, I think your love of the little "friends" influenced your hubby's supportive behaviors. lol

I've seen more Sulphurs around my area. And I spotted a 2nd Yellow Tiger Swallowtail b'fly today. Woooohoooo!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9027688

A bunch of years ago my BF bought me 3 mantid chrysalids and a painted lady butterfly larvae for Valentine's day.

A man after my heart . . .. :)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9027901

Too cute...Amanda. ☺

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9029793

A beautiful day today...not too much variety, but what a joy to have some sun!

This crazy bee was cruising around my lens, so I decided to "shoot" it.

Fiery skipper - all curled up.

RA - must have been a good day for curling... :)

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9035148

Man, check out this video. I've never seen so many caterpillars at one time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvuiWODeb40

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9036859

HA! Thanks.

I was re-arranging/uprighting my BST chrysalises in my outdoor closet and one of them started wriggling at me! :D

Love it.

Still not warm enough here, but nice to know they're just as eager as I am.

Seeing cabbage whites, nothing else.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9037917

I saw my first BF of the year yesterday - white, so it guess that's 'cabbage whites'? I'll look for their picture.

Kathy

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9037976

It is hard to be upset with all of the rain we are having, but it is really slowing down my butterfly sightings. Glad you saw your first for the year Kathy. This rain should give everything a nice boost and growth spurt before the hummers show up along the Texas coast.

Russell

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9038055

Hah, this is my 3rd sighting of this butterfly, the yellow Tiger' for the season. Lots of those smaller 'cabbage whites'? Few more Sulphurs seen as well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9038073

Beauty!

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9038435

The sun came out! These two small ones came to visit this afternoon. Possibly Brazilian Skipper #1 and fiery#2?

Russell

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 4:55 PM

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 11, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9038503

Yes to the Brazilan Skipper! The other looks like a Fiery Skipper female to me.

Do hope you have some cannas in your yard. The Brazilian Skipper will lay plenty of eggs on the if you do. The Brazilian Skipper caterpillars are ugly as heck and will leave your canna leaves in shreds but alas I have a large clump of cannas growing in my front yard just for them...much to the horror of my neighbors :o)

One neighbor's elderly mother was visiting her for a few weeks and thought she was doing a good deed when she took it upon herself to use her scissors to cut away the damaged leaves and re-shape what was left. When I got home from work she was sitting outside on a lawn chair smiling and waving at me. She thought I was nuts for gathering up the pile of leaves on the curb. Had to explain the folded over leaves were caterpillar nests and I grew the cannas for the Brazilian Skippers. Was glad she didn't squish the caterpillars in them!!!

Got out my butterfly and caterpillar books and educated her. All was forgiven but she must've still felt bad because the next time she came to visit her daughter she brought me a pipevine plant. :o)

~ Cat

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9038674

Thanks for info and story. I don't have any canna in my yard at this time, it must have just been passing through. I didn't recognize the FS...this one looked completely different than the last one I saw. I always keep my eyes peeled for different varieties visiting the yard.

What a nice afternoon it was.

Russell

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9039588

Hey Cat, good to see you!

LilyLove, I think that looks like a Zebra Swallowtail!!!! You must have some PawPaw around there. Good find.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9039610

Awww, Mrs. Ed. That was during the weekend's hike we did with a group of friends locally. Yah. I thought the beauty was paler (less yellow) than the "tigers". Thank you. Hi Cat~ It's nice seeing you posting.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9040094

LilyLove, I think that looks like a Zebra Swallowtail!!!! You must have some PawPaw around there. Good find. [/quote]

Love seeing a zebra on here--i planted some PawPaw trees last year, and am hoping for some in years to come.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9040111

Yes, Bruce. Pawpaw tree is among my wish list wishes. BTW, that's a "lifer" for me. My very first Zebra Swallowtail in saw in person. What's a joy! Good luck with yours Bruce.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9040628

Lily_love wrote:Yes, Bruce. Pawpaw tree is among my wish list wishes. BTW, that's a "lifer" for me. My very first Zebra Swallowtail in saw in person. What's a joy! Good luck with yours Bruce.

I haven't seen a ZST in the wild since the 60's living in southern ohio--you should be able to find a nice protected spot to plant a couple of PawPaw trees. here's to both of us seeing lots of zst's in the future!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9040658

Mrs. Ed that was a great video clip...amazing how butterflies can change someone's life. Wonderful what she does opening her home one day a week for others.

I can't believe the amount of Monarch cats eating me out of milkweed, they are even eating the seedlings that are coming up and everyday I see new little cats. I have a lot of seedlings in pots but no where near ready to be planted. This is truly an unusual year here. The garden centers said they have had a flood of people coming in and asking for milkweed facing the same dilemma. They said they as fast as it comes in it goes back out. At least it is good to know so many people that care about the butterflies out there.

My Gulf frit chrysalis are still there, the one on the hose looks like something is starting to happen.

It is nice to hear everyone is starting to see the butterflies. I had to look up the Zebra Swallowtail, what a beauty!

I think was one of my Monarchs the way it was gliding around the garden...like its very first flight.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9040689

That's good news about all the monarchs. I'm hoping for a good year here after last year's low numbers.

Funny thing yesterday. I saw something land in the neighbor's hedge and Got all excited because I thought it might have been a Mourning Cloak. Ha. Oak Leaf!!!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9040747

Ha ha - "It's alive!!!" :)
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9041375

Mrs_Ed wrote:That's good news about all the monarchs. I'm hoping for a good year here after last year's low numbers.

Funny thing yesterday. I saw something land in the neighbor's hedge and Got all excited because I thought it might have been a Mourning Cloak. Ha. Oak Leaf!!!!

I thought i was the only one seeing things! I did see what looked like a skipper, but i couldn't catch up to it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9041410

BCH521 wrote:I thought i was the only one seeing things! I did see what looked like a skipper, but i couldn't catch up to it.

Too funny y'all. The way things look around here. We'll soon see more of our winged little friends.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9041505

OMG...saw a Cabbage White just a bout an hour ago while out walking the dog!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9041618

HEY! Way to go, Nanny!

I saw sprouts today of the elusive FL paintbrush plant in one of my wintersown containers - so I was just as elated!

Happy sowing!!!

A.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9041689

wow, all good news, except for my oak leaf sighting.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9041731

LOL, Mrs. Ed. Guess what I saw today? A black form Tiger Swallowtail I think. It was too quick I couldn't catch a pic.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9041816

I hope these BF and birds know what is coming for "spring" because they are all over - I sure would hate to lose them to a massive chill.

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 14, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9043066

Mrs_Ed, Lily and All others...

Work has been hectic. I hate to admit it but I haven't even taken my camera out of the bag in ages! I need a vacation!!!

This is the first day I was able to check around my yard. Monarch and GF cats chewing the milkweed and passion vines respectively to the bare stems. :o)

Am still trying to read all the old posts...and am glad to see familiar faces and butterfly photos too.

BTW...Glassberg is working on a new field guide. A Swift Guide to Butterflies of North America. It will have something like 2,500 photos!!! If it is anything like his Mexico butterfly book it is going to be awesome!!!

He asked to use a couple of my photos and is going to give me a copy of the book...way cool! He'll be out here in a couple of weeks...do hope work eases back and I don't have to work overtime so I can hit the field and catch up on what's flying here.

~ Cat

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 7:48 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9043458

The book sounds like a must have. ~ Wishing you a much needed vacation-- and lots flowers and butteflies this year.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9043740

Sounds marvelous Cat. both the book and the cats chewing plants!

I have to say that I feel a little bit better about my "oak leaf" experience since a couple people from the Illinois Butterfly Monitoring Network have seen butterflies! Both a Mourning Cloak and Question Mark. Yippeeeee

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9043761

Here they come Mrs. Ed. Yippieeeeeee!

I've a pair of Sulphurs in the garden this morning. Oh just saw the Black Swallowtail again...I'll see if I can catch it today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9043904

Wooohooo, not what I was hoping, but this beauty will do. A Yellow Tiger Swallowtail on my viburnum blossom;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9044101

Wooo Hooo. Glad things are heating up for you both.

Keep them coming!

Russell

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9044739

It's going to be 80 here today! Maybe i'll see something.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9045044

Hey Hey! I saw something. LOL. Not sure what is was. Probably Mourning Cloak. I was doing the dishes and saw it fly across the street. So I've got some bananas and grapes outside. Looks like the squirrels like the grapes more than anything on the bananas though. Ha.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9045162

Hah, just to be sure I did see something, and just not my imagination. lol Mrs. Ed. I trust you on this one. Wanna see mine 'something'? I knew I've seen this for several days now, and just now I've captured it. But as it turned out -- blurry! Gotta be the excitement that shows? LOL, for the next pic. I shot it was as good as gold. Look!

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9045286

More butterflies!!! Saw my first Silver spotted skipper this evening. Yooohoooo!!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9047014

Cherry blossom and this beauty!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

TexasPuddyPrint

TexasPuddyPrint
Edinburg, TX

March 18, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9047865

We had a Mourning Cloak out here several months ago. It was big news because the "northern" butterflies don't show up this far south. I got to see it - might be a yard bug for y'all but it was a lifer for me!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9048205

Well so glad that everyone is seeing BFs...My Gulf Frits finally emerged from their Chrysalis and I see them flying around the garden daily now. I found some more milkweed at a garden center and brought it home for my Monarch cats. Only to find two more larvae on the milkweed and several eggs. I counted ten cats yesterday of all sizes chomping away.

I've spotted a few yellow sulphurs, black tiger swallowtails, yellow swallowtails and of course the Gulf Frits and Monarchs, and long tailed skippers.

I see my FL paintbrush sprouting up also...the squirrels got into one of my seed packs and think they did that one in. I put some in the ground out front in my sandy sunny soil. I was told this weekend by a FL native plant society person that it sometimes takes two seasons until seeds germinate and come up. I've got to be careful and not think they are weeds.

Sorry no pictures yet...I'll have to work on that.

Enjoy the butterflies everyone...I think spring is finally here.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9048753

Congrats ~Cat. on your sighting of the Mourning Cloak--the 'Lifer'. Sherri, it's nice to know you and Amanda have Fla. paintbrush sprouting. Looking forward to more photos during the growing season.

My Silver Spotted Skipper is loving the V. carlcephalum blooms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9048754

Ooops, I meant to post this one;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9048904

Hi everyone! I've been over on Facebook a lot but I realized I needed to stop neglecting DG! I had an exciting day today. I've been stuck inside a lot (fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue) but I was feeling good today so I went for a stroll around the yard. I'm glad I did as I found the first Queen caterpillar ever in my yard. I stole one from a nearby park once but this is the first one that picked my yard. I only found one; there were three Monarchs on the same plant so it's amazing I ever got a Queen to lay an egg.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9048907

I also found a Giant Swallowtail on my rue. I just checked it a few days ago, but these things happen. I'll check it again because there's never just one.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9048914

And finally, I saw this chrysalis on the side of the house as I was walking in. If you saw how far it was from the milkweed you'd think the caterpillar ran a marathon!

In bad news, the Tussock Moth caterpillars are back which means I need to go around squishing them. I saw quite a few on my passiflora which is NOT OK. In better news, I've been seeing Monarchs, Cloudless Sulphurs, Orange-Barred Sulphurs, Long Tailed Skippers, and Gulf Fritillaries. The parents have reported a Giant Swallowtail and Spicebush Swallowtails. I'm going to have to go Spicebush hunting in my neighbor's yard soon.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9048926

How exciting that you get to see all those cats. Melanie. It's nice having you back. I overwintered this beauty in a butterfly housing in the back porch. It emerged this am.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9048989

welcome back Mel! I got more reports from the area of Cabbage white and spring azures, but i haven't seen any yet.

Hey, has anyone ever found an overwintering chrysalis in their leaf litter? I've been doing spring cleanup and I don't know how far away from host plants to look for these guys.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9049068

My aunt in WV reported "lots of little blue butterflies" which, based on last year's visit, are probably Spring Azures. I'll be visiting Grandma up there in a few weeks so I hope to see some new butterflies and as always, their large population of Tiger Swallowtails.

I've never really looked in the leaf litter but I know the Hairstreaks use the oaks in my yard. In fact, the Hairstreaks lay eggs in the leaf litter. It's amazing how far some of these caterpillars travel - like the one on the side of my house. I had a Monarch crawl straight up my oak tree once and hang from a bromeliad. I thought that was cool.

Melanie

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9049589

I know that the regal frittalaries lay eggs inseptember next to the host plants, but I don't know about those with chrysalis.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9050689

No pictures today because dummy me forgot her camera while going to pick rue. Naturally, I saw two Giant STs doing the mating dance. They were also seen nectaring on milkweed and my Dad's "Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow" which is in full bloom right now. The Monarch and the Cassius Blues have been doing fly-bys, as well. I went looking for more Queen cats but all I found was an army of Monarchs. I brought a couple of the bigger ones in so they can pupate soon.

In sad news, my Red Bay tree up and died on me for no apparent reason. Whenever we get back from vacation next month I'm going to order some spicebushes and make a little hedge along the neighbor's fence instead. I also need to order a Sweetbay magnolia so I can raise some Tiger STs. I've had them (and Red Spotted Purples) on my cherry tree before but my cherry tree has gotten so tall I can't pick the cats unless they're really low to the ground - which rarely happens.

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9050722

Best of luck with your butterflies gardening project there Melanie. I've a couple 'Tigers visit today. Got the dark form one, and missed on the Yellow 'Tiger.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9050740

1st BF pics for me this year, a Spring Azure and a Cabbage White. The former from 3-18-12, the later, 3-19.

Thumbnail by jmorth   Thumbnail by jmorth

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9052639

Seeing lots of Cabbages Whites, Spring Azures and saw a sulphur of some sort yesterday!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9052684

On two occasions I thought I spotted a lone Monarch passing through the garden. But I questioned myself could that be Viceroys? Since I wasn't sure and didn't have a picture to inspect it closely. So I'll wait until I have enough evidences that I've gotten a Monarch to report for sure. DH thought he saw some Monarch on the mountains also. Hmmmm.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9052790

Just got back from Home Depot where I saw a Monarch laying eggs on the milkweed, a Red Admiral, a Painted Lady, and three skippers (probably Fiery). Naturally, I didn't have my camera. The butterflies seemed most interested in the pentas and the purple lantana. I was really excited to see the RA and PL since they can be very seasonal here and I can go a long time without seeing one. It makes me wonder what kind of butterfly year this one is going to be, especially with the wacky weather.

Melanie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9052841

I posted on the other thread - my first BST eclosed around 10 this morning and took off just about a half hour ago. :)

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9052866

Queen eating out of my hand, LOL!

Congrats on the BST! Is that early or normal for them eclosing in your area?

Thumbnail by mellielong

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9052899

Congrats Amanda. Mel, I don't think I've ever gotten Queens around where I live. Only Monarchs. That cat. is way too cute eating out of your hand. And I like that 3rd pair of antenae. lol

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9053049

This is my first Queen here at the house. I don't even think I've seen an adult in my yard. One time I thought I did, but it was a Viceroy (they mimic the Queen color in areas with substantial Queen populations).

I was just out gathering food to feed the piggies (Monarchs) and saw a male Tiger ST on the "Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow". The Gulf Frit was also laying eggs on my passionvine. I have p. caerulea but it's got Tussock Moths on it so the Frits are going for my pretty, hybrid passifloras, darnit! I've instituted a relocation program in the past, and I may begin again. I'd like to see them bloom once before they get eaten to pieces. I think the kind I have is "Lavender Lady". I was on vacation last year when it bloomed but my parents told me how pretty it was. I'm hoping to get some Zebra Longwings this year - the two winters prior to this one were brutal and I haven't seen a ZL in over a year. Hopefully, the warm temps will guide them northward.

Melanie

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9054461

Painted Lady visiting after work today...nice to see them around!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9055203

Ok, for the third time let me try to post a message without DG throwing me to the forums page. Here's a pic of the swarm of Monarchs I've adopted.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9055204

Here's the male half of the couple I suspect is plaguing me with caterpillars.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9055206

And finally, a Gulf Frit on the pentas. I also had a Swallowtail fly by and I swear I think it was a Palamedes. I don't see them often except in early spring and then again in the fall. I'll have to go through my neighbor's yard looking for cats soon. His back acreage is always a good source of Spicebushies, too.

Thumbnail by mellielong

jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9055232

mellie, same problem I experienced, I finally just gave up...Nice pics.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9055331

good grief, that a lot of cats!!!!

I was doing errands today and saw a red admiral! This is the most amazing spring!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9055418

First Buckeye of the year!

Thumbnail by mellielong

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9055515

I had a few returning Monarchs this last few weeks. Also have sulphers and Red Admirals. This afternoon I watched a Gulf Frit laying eggs with madding speed!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9055689

Congrats everyone on some of your first Butterflies of the season. I've problem with DG throwing my posting off and sent me back to the forums page too. It's frustrating when you made a long post, then get throw off the post.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9056148

Love those buckeyes! I haven't seen any yet, still waiting.

Russell

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9056766

I had a BST that overwintered last year, just eclosed today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9056770

Beauty!

Russell
jmorth
Divernon, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9056842

Very nice.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9057251

Well I've seen just about every kind of BF, except still no zebra longwings. But I haven't yet caught a good photo of them...but got some caterpillar photos for you all...they move nice and slow...lol.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9057290

Sherri, congrats! BTW, is that a Sulphur cat. on cassia? I winter sow some wild cassias seeds, they germinated, I need to harden them and move them outdoor soon. Thanks J. looking forward to seeing yours.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9057954

Exciting sightings today. Mom thinks she saw a Zebra Longwing while on her walk today. They have been known to hang out at the other end of the street near my neighbor who grows "wildflowers" (it's weeds people, but some of them are beneficial and native). I'll have to keep the eyes open near the passion vine.

I went on a hunt for milkweed today at my fave nursery but came up empty. I even went to Home Depot and Lowe's to no avail. Home Depot had some last week when I stopped by but they had sold it all! I guess someone else has the same problem as me. In good news, at my fave nursery, I spotted (ok Mom spotted) a Polydamas and a White Peacock! I also saw a Spicebush, Cloudless Sulphurs, Monarchs, and some crazy skippers. It's good to see the butterflies are showing up. Here's the Polydamas Swallowtail enjoying some pentas.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9057958

And here's the first of many Monarchs to fly out my door.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9058400

Hey kids - here's the pic of the BST that eclosed on 3/22. I released another today but the camera was not cooperating. What fun!

:)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9058590

So nice to finally start seeing more butterflies on the thread, and in my yard!
Just happen to catch a BST nectaring on verbena that I was out getting a picture of this morning. First one I have seen, so I didn't expect it...almost missed the shot entirely.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9058752

Yes Lily it is...probably the big yellow one...I've seen them each day in the yard. I have about three cats on the cassia that I can see, they are hard to find...really blend in.

Melaine...my cats have eaten almost all the milkweed I have. I did find some nice plants at S. Seminole nursery here in Winter Springs good sized healthy and only three bucks, and Lukas Gardens has some, but they are small and expensive. Only problem is when I bought more milkweed I got more cats and eggs. I have tons of seedlings coming up in lots of pots...and only two very ready to go large cats still chomping on the last bit of leaves...maybe things will dwindle a bit so my larger plants can grow back some leaves. My husband has been asking at HD and Lowe's and they said lots of people are asking for milkweed.

Shelia so glad you are seeing butterflies now also. ☺

Amanda I have just started seeing BST here...my camera can be a real pain sometimes trying to take a close up.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9059294

I had a nice surprise this morning when I was scraping the bottom of the milkweed barrel - I found another Queen! I knew there had to be more than one. After that, I went to the movies (The Hunger Games, which has a poignant moment with a Pipevine Swallowtail in it). I started thinking I was across the street from the other Home Depot so maybe I should go check for milkweed. And SCORE - they had some! I got home to find Mom "couldn't wait for me any longer" and went to our fave nursery to also buy milkweed (their truck came in today). It is currently living on the patio where it is behind a screen. All in all, I have eighteen pots of milkweed. Mom's going to leave a couple out for them to lay eggs on. I said they could keep on looking - I've had it up to here with Monarchs. They're like the tribbles from Star Trek, LOL!

Question - I've lost a few of the Monarchs. They get that stringy look if you know what I mean? I don't know if that's connected but in one cage I've been finding things that look like little grubs. I've squished every one I see but it made me wonder if one of the cats was parasatized and that's what came out of it? Has anyone ever seen anything like that before?

Melanie

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9059535

OOOO...had 2 Mourning Cloaks today!!! I got a pic of one...have to unload the camera!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9059693

Mourning Cloak!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9059707

I know Mourning Cloaks are common in some areas, but we don't have them down here and I want to see one! I keep hoping when I visit Grandma in WV that I might see one. Maybe one day...until then I'll just try and be happy with my Polydamas Swallowtails and Zebra Longwings, LOL!

Melanie

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9059727

First photo of the year for me. Red admiral on the lilacs. in MARCH.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9059730

Nice! I tend to see Red Admirals early in the spring; they're one of the first caterpillars I can find. But I guess for your zone that's pretty amazing. Those little suckers are fast, too; nice shot showing the red and blue on the wings!

Melanie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9059752

Nice one of your M.C. Nan. Oooh Mrs. Ed. Congrats on your "first" of the year butterfly photo the Red Admiral!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9059757

Nice one Mrs. Ed!

I hope the BST are better this year. I had no success last year with them...something seemed to be wrong with all of them. I did plant a new fennel baby yesterday for them to lay eggs on!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9059771

Nan, me too. I have grown Fennels in years past. I skipped a couple years, now I reintroduced them back into my collection. I overwintered few of the Parleys last year. Half of them didn't survive, so I've added a few more. Looking forward to a better year of butterfly garden this year myself.

There were 2 BSTs eclosed 2 days ago. Last fall I had a good year with BST. But I didn't have one single Monarch caterpillar, I had no idea what went wrong.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9059800

Yay to everyone who are seeing butterflies. Looks like it going to be a great season for it. Lilac already, Mrs-Ed!!! We still have snow, on the ground here. I was thinking, with the warm weather we had last week, that I would at least see crocus but none showed up. It turned into Winter again. I did bring in my BST chrysalis in the garage. It seem to have changed color, in the abdomen area, a little. Turning brownish and not as shinny.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9059885

Melanie, it does sound like the Monarch cats you had die were parasitized. I had a lot of Queens like that one year and a few Monarchs. Sad but farmers release them in mass to kill caterpillars feeding on their crops...then they reproduce and move on to butterfly caterpillars in our gardens!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 27, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9059987

I found one chrysalis that had a thread hanging from it and I knew I'd seen that before and that it was bad. I culled a few chrysalises that weren't quite right and a couple more caterpillars that didn't make it and I haven't seen another one of those grub-looking things. I've never had a big problem with parasites in my yard; I wonder where they're coming from.

Melanie
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

March 28, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9060887

A few of the Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) caterpillars I'm currently raising. They're about at the stage now where they'll start eating me out of everything I've got to offer them (willow, hackberry, elm).

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9060928

I've got the same problem with Monarchs. Unfortunately, I've had to throw a few of them out due to parasite infection.

In happier news, the first Queen made her chrysalis. My Giant ST is starting to get really big, but I know he'll get even bigger. I think I might have scared up a Red Admiral when I left this morning. I hope that's what it was anyway. I've got a lot of pellitory growing in my front flower beds and I would love to raise the caterpillars again this year. Mom thinks she spotted another Zebra Longwing but we have yet to get hard evidence of their return. I've certainly got enough passiflora for them.

Melanie

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9060983

Ha, "a few"

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9061011

Wow Dale...that is more than a few!

Russell
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

March 28, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9061211

And that's not even all of them! Mourning Cloaks oviposit in clusters, so there's probably between 150 - 200 total. It's a great way to start off the year.

Dale Clark

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9061389

That is quite a sight, Dale. If I didn't know any better I'd be creeped out! :D

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9061729

Very cool Dale!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9061947

Released another BST this morning. That makes 3. She wasn't quite ready to fly, but I overslept so didn't know how long she'd been waiting for me to release her. I suspect she'll figure it out. No photo, but she was small and lovely. :)

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9062420

Mom released a Monarch this morning since I was still sleeping. I had another one get stuck in its chrysalis which I find is usually associated with an OE infection. I still have lots of good-looking, healthy chrysalises so it will be Monarch mania around here for the next week or two. Meanwhile, my Giant ST cat is getting ready to molt again. They grow up so fast!

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9063188

Exciting news - I saw my first Zebra Longwing in over a year! Mom and I went to get our hair done this morning (I look fabulous, by the way) and on the way home she wanted to stop and see our old house. So we were stopped outside on the side road and through the fence I saw some lantana growing (it's invasive around here). Then, swoops in a Zebra Longwing to nectar on it! I'm so glad to see they're back - we had a couple of rough winters but with this one being so mild I was hoping they'd make it up here again.

In other news, I brought in four more Monarch cats; the butterfly was out there laying eggs so we should have a steady stream of the little guys. I wanna know where the Queen went and why she can't come lay more eggs, LOL! Also, my Giant ST is getting to be pretty good size. Check him out!

Also, my passiflora "Lavender Lady" is blooming! The Gulf Frits are eating it, but not too fast (for now). I haven't seen this plant bloom since I bought it; I was on vacation when it bloomed last year around this time. Check it out, too!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9063314

That's awesome news and awesome news (especially that you look fabulous). :)

Thanks for sharing - makes me more eager for the season.

A.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9063322

I Had some visitors today.

Checkered White? This is a new one for me. Haven't seen one of these in the yard before.
Cloudless Sulphur on Senna Alata - should have lots of cats soon!
Gulf Frit - amazing they haven't found the passiflora yet.
Red Admiral
Another Gulf Frit

I also saw one male ruby throat hummer today. Buzzed right by my ear when I was concentrating on taking pictures of the BFs. I also have quite a few monarch cats devouring MW. This is shaping up to be a good year on the Texas coast.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9063445

Glad things are going well in Texas. All I ever hear about are droughts and wildfires so it's nice to see that it's not all one big wasteland. Oh, and that does look like a Checkered White to me (unless you guys have other White butterflies over there).

The native plant society is having a sale tomorrow so I'm hoping I can score some good butterfly plants at low, low prices! At least get a red bay tree to replace my one that died. I want my Spicebush buddies back!

Melanie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9063473

Have fun Melanie - that's the best plant sale there is. :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9063478

Best wishes to you Melanie, Russell. Great series! Love them all. My passi, the native kind just broke dormancy this past week. They do have a mind of their own when comes to choosing a place to resurface. Found a couple of them too close to my walk way, that I may have to move them. Grrrr. Oh Mel. I love your Lavender lady passi. I once had her in my collection and lost it to winter freeze...that has been several years past.

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9063491

Mel, we must be thinking the same...I am going to a master gardeners plant sale tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick up some natives too. I am happy to see some wildflowers popping up this year - we have been getting a little more rain lately. I just returned from a wildflower scouting mission and found a couple of other varieties that don't normally visit my yard.

Variegated Fritillary
Phaon Crescent
and another Checkered White

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon   Thumbnail by yakmon

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9063495

I forgot about this guy...he was literally bathing in winecup pollen!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9063604

That's so funny, wonder if he is really happy or really annoyed.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9063606

I was just thinking if the little guy was sneezing his "wings" off. lol Nice find there Russell.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9063621

Melanie & Russell, great pictures. Really wonder how that bee would still be flying! LOL!

Dale...I guess it is only a "few" considering the numbers you handle at the exhibit!
I am confused though. Do they change to a black spikey cat before pupating? I raised one I found in the "j" once. Here is what it looked like. Is it the same one you have?

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW   Thumbnail by Sheila_FW   Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9063661

Mrs Ed...from the looks of it, he was very happy. I have never seen a bee roll in a flower before, but this guy was clearly having fun, almost doing a backstroke in each flower before moving on to the next one. There was a giant patch of those flowers and it presented a great opportunity for all of the bees.

Beautiful MC, Sheila.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9063686

What kind of flower is that Russell? Primrose? Poppy? Would love to watch bees bathe in pollen doing the backstroke. :D

yakmon

yakmon
Portland, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9063711

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67513/ They are blooming in sandy soil on the side of the roads in Aransas Pass, TX.

They are very vibrantly colored.

Russell
lepfarmer
Red Oak, TX

March 30, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9063778

Sheila: My Mourning Cloak larvae are second and third instar right now -- yours in the photo is fifth. They do change as they age. Just finished squeezing in a hackberry cuttings for them to munch on. Thankfully, I have lots of hackberries here.

Also, Sheila, I meant to ask you today when I saw you in the exhibit: are you coming to listen to Dr. David Wagner next Thursday night when he gives his presentation at the Botanic Gardens? He's the author of "Caterpillars of Eastern North America" (as well as several other lepidoptera publications). It's $4, but members of garden clubs or any nature organization get in for $2. Dave's a great guy and he'll be showing some really cool shots of caterpillars from around the world.

Dale Clark

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9064254

Okay, this thread is really long so let's start a new one to celebrate the beginning of the butterfly season! Keep following the conversation here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249809/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America