Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnFran
East Greenbush, NY

November 28, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8908634

Zone 5 We have had warmer weather than usual . I covered my perennials with some leaves but more leaves blew on top of those already down and now I think some of my plants were smothered and died...some look very yellow. The tall ones did okay. Have I lost the yellowing ones for good? Will they resurrect in the Spring.? What's the next step? Thanks everyone.. AnnFran

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8908697

The yellowing may be caused by lack of sun from the extra leaves...I would check the crown, where the plant meets the ground to make sure there is not too much moisture being held close to the plant causing rot. You can scrape the leaves back a bit to allow better light and airflow until the plant goes dormant. It could also just be the plant preparing to go dormant for winter.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8908880

Ann

what types of plants? I am thinking this is part of their natural process in making the plant ready for it's long winter's nap.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

November 28, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8908971

I would heed what Themoon and Carolyn have gone with, I really do think as we are into November / December time, your plants are going into a natural winters rest, Most Perennials do dormant earlier but as you mentioned, they have flowered longer due to good weather, BUT, they need a rest period and yellowing of the foliage is usually the first sign Now, end of season, the leaf cover will help protect them from snow /ground frost etc BUT, you can scrape away some leaf cover AND cut back the foliage till the frost really hits, I do think everything is going the way it should and come spring when you see some new green shoots appear, I always give the root area a handful of of multi purpose plant feed or some dried chicken manure you buy both at the garden center, don't over feed or you will get loads of soft growth at the expense of nice flowers.
Hope we have all helped a bit between us and good luck. WeeNel.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 9, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8923323

the smaller and thinner the leaves, the more effective it is for a winter cover-if you have a lot. my saucer magnolia in ny used to provide tons of mulch for the plants, but it forms an absolute sponge of a carpet. you can even peel it away from the ground in spring, thats how carpet like it was. those leaves are quite think and large. - just my input. hope you figure it out.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 12, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8926718

The best way I know to break down autumn fall leaves is when you gather them, lay them on the lawn and run the mower over them (a couple of times if required) I put the grass gathering box on the mower and it gathers the finer chopped up leaves, they can then either be stored in wire cage for composting or placed directly onto the beds, all depending on what type of leaves you have and what plants you are trying to protect.
Happy gardening WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America