Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: December, Moon Gardening

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 34, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8910642

Here we are, at the end of another year. I hope that the winter is not too bad for all of you.

Around here we are having really nice weather and the Summer is coming with good effect in the garden.

December 2011

1st-2nd Good Days For Killing Weeds, Briars And Other Plant Pests, Poor For Planting.

3rd-4th Plant Peppers, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes And Other Above ground Crops, In Southern Florida, California, And Texas. Extra Good For Cucumbers, Peas, Cantaloupes, And Other Vine Crops.

5th-6th A Poor Time To Plant.

7th-8th Fine For Planting Beans, Peppers, Cucumbers, Melons And Other Above ground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.
9th-10th Seeds Planted Now Tend To Rot In The Ground.

11th-12th Most Favorable Days For Planting Beets, Onions, Turnips And Other Root Crops, Where Climate Allows. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

13th-17th A Most Barren Period. Kill Plant Pests And Do General Farm Work.

18th-19th Favorable Days For Planting Root Crops, Fine For Sowing Grains, Hay, And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

20th-21st Plant Carrots, Beets, Onions, Turnips, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

22nd-24th Do No Planting.

25th-26th Plant Sweet Corn, Beans, Peppers And Other Above ground Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

27th-29th Good Days For Killing Weeds, Briars And Other Plant Pests, Poor For Planting.

30th-31st Plant Peppers, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes And Other Above ground Crops, In Southern Florida, California, And Texas. Extra Good For Cucumbers, Peas, Cantaloupes, And Other Vine Crops.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8912940

Thanks, again, Cristina!

I don't have much battery left on my computer, as we are without power in the wind storm. It has been off all day.

I'll get back with you later.

Evelyn
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8921035

It has turned very cold here (20 degrees F.) Glad to hear your garden is doing well!

What all do you grow?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8921427

Right now, for some reason, we have not had 20 weather yet. Maybe later. It hasn't even snowed yet and last year the snow started on Nov 20th.

Right now I have lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, peas, beets, and radishes planted. I will be sowing some carrots on the next "root day".

I need to get my containers washed as it is almost time to start winter sowing.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8921521

You have a good variety. Here in north Texas it is too cold now for peas, unfortunately - they do best in the spring. Even then the problem is that it gets hot so early in the season that they don't do well for long. I have not been able to get broccoli and cabbage to do well either since our temperature fluctuates so much (they tend to bolt.) Glad there are places where the temp is more stable (so the farmers can grow snow peas and cabbages.) I haven't tried winter sowing yet but hope to get educated on it soon and try.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8922152

That's why I thought I would try to sow and plant now as it gets hot too soon, though last year it was cold until June, and even then we had hail on the first of June. There is hardly any time for the slow growing cabbages to get up to size if I put them out then.

I will keep on trying until it starts raining or snowing, and hopefully in between as well, as that is when the weeds try to take over.

Actually the weather is very unpredictable here. Where you live, I think, it is more predictable as you know it will be hot soon after spring arrives and then will stay hot.

After the middle of June, then it stays hot and no rain, usually until November, but sometimes we get lucky and get some in between then.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8925337

Cristina ~ I have a question. When the phase is ready for root crops, the guide says to sow seeds of flowers and seedbeds. Do they do well equally in either root or leaf planting?
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8934359

I have been away, I have a brother that have a plot of land in the middle of the Andes, very near the limit with Argentina, there is a small valley where his place is. The complete family got together and we took our mother with us, I thought it was lovely, we are not very close but it may be tha last time that mum is with all of her children, we all have a really good reunion, for all times sake .

The only problem is that we did not have internet. In the area the communication are NIL, only sat phone function here, all the other way is short wave radio.

That is why I did not get to DG's at all.

Evelyn, yes any propagation goes well on days when we can sow seeds and flowers, the same goes for cuttings and transplanting. Hope that is clear.

See you all soon.
Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8936425

Cristina ~ Maybe you misunderstood my question. I was wondering why flowers and seeds are recommended on root days.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8937291

Yes, I did missunderstant the question.

What is happening here is that at the moment the moon is under or passing through the Zodiac house of Libra. El 20, 21 y 22 the moon is in Libra.

Moon in Libra - Semifruitful and moist, airy and masculine. Used for planting many crops and producing good pulp growth and roots. A very good sign for flowers, if you want especially beautiful flowers, this is the sign you
should plant them and good for vines. Also used for seeding hay, corn fodder, and the like.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8937649

Thank you, Cristina, for clearing that up.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 23, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8940920

The last question from Evelyn got me thinking, I am going to try to give you some more info about the planetary influences on the Moon, just to make it more interesting for every one. You have heard that there are many new books that have appeared in the market that, in the opinion of few, contradict the information given here that is mainly use in any Almanac and make the whole thing a bit complicated and, to say the least, much more expensive, ... those books are expensive.

What do you think?

Would you like that I commence with it? I do not like to impose.
Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8941101

Cristina ~ Were you referring to the bio-dynamic calendars? I found them most confusing. I bought them one year and figured if I did not use them, I would still be contributing to another form of organic gardening.

Still, it might be interesting to see what you propose to put in our calendars. As long as I do not have to calculate sidereal time, as I am not good at anything mathematical.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8941610

I do understand CLEARLY, What I was thinking on doing is discuss the link of the planet to gardening and why is most effective to keep it simple like the one I always share with you in this thread.

I feel that if I want to make money I could publish a very posh looking calendar and add the planets and some so call bio-dynamic gardening that only make things really complicated.

I feel that is good to know a bit about the influences of the planet, but maintaining the whole thing simple and practical.

Cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8941628

Good idea, Cristina! I look forward to your findings.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 24, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8941810

OK then, I'll start from the start of the New Year, January 2012.

I feel it will be interesting.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8941852

evelyn_inthegarden
I have been following for years the Biodynamic calendar by "Maria Thun"
It is so easy to follow and it works like MAGIC
http://www.amazon.com/Bioplanting-Sowing-Planting-Cal-2012/dp/0863158226/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324773031&sr=8-2
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8943942

Hello everyone, I am new to this thread- and to planting by the moon. Met an herbalist who said she plants everything by the moon cycles so started to do research. I understand planting outside but am confused as to whether it also applys to seeds I start under my grow lights. Anyone know the answer? Also, what calendar/book would be the best to buy? Or a really informative website!

I live in Charleston, SC, zone 8b- weather here is crazy-85 one day 50 the next. In the past have planted peas mid February but it gets so hot here by end of March the peas hardly produce. I was thinking of trying 2 days before the full moon which would be Jan. 7th. Anyone from my area have any luck?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Susan

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8944147

I am in zone 8a and I have two dates to plant peas: September 1st and february 1st. Miss these dates and nothing will happen.
Buy Maria Thun calendar I described on the previous post. Easy easy and magic.
At the end of the book you also have a pull out calendar which I normally cut in half and laminate and hang by my seedlings.
Also in the book there is another calendar whit space near buy to write notes.
I really recommend this calendar.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2011
11:54 AM

Post #8944314

Susan, welcome and I hope you will enjoy your time among us.

When you start seen the results in your gardening, produce and flowers you will be happy with the result. There are few books in the market, Maria Thun is ok, but I do not think that you need to buy any.

What you need is understanding a bit about it and then try to keep your gardening notes and learn from your own experiences, that is knowledge that nobody can pay, it is invaluable.

Enjoy, cristina

cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 27, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8944336

I have read many different versions of "moon planting" and think I will try the Farmer's Almanac. I think it is the least confusing to me and since I keep a journal anyway I'll be able to track my progress. FA also sends me daily emails. I will try to keep you posted on my success and failures. Thanks, Susan

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8944399

cornish2175
Farmer's Almanac is very confusing even if it seems basic and in my opinion it doesn'r work as well as M. Thun's calendar which it considerr the effect of the moon and other planets.
The calendar is color coded and very very easy to follow.
Just to give you an idea of my harvest following the calendar this year ...
This is one of many ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 27, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8944576

drthor , Congratulation on your produces. Lovely!

One wonders though, if you have any interest on the book or with Amazon!
otherwise you are a wonderful salesman, for that you need to receive also my congratulation.

The main thing is that we're gardeners and also that we're trying to grow everything organic.

Today I put a lot of mulch in my garden. Summer will be too hot this year so I am trying to create canopies with some of my trees that I have in pots to bring some shade in different areas of my garden, otherwise my water bill will be super high.
And Susan, I do follow the same almanac and more over, my garden journal

cristina

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 27, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8944842

Thanks
I am just trying to share my experiences
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8945130

I have no problem buying Maria Thuns calendar and the price was not as bad as others but without seeing the book I hesitate- I tried to find it at the bookstores-they had nothing other than Farmers Almanac. drthor- would it be possible for you to take a picture of your pull out calendar?
I find it amazing that there are so many interpetations of when to plant- did our ancestors have this problem? I think the theory of planting plants that grow up on the waxing moon and plants that grow down on the waning moon the least confusing.
I really have never had problems with yields in my garden other than peas and I blame that on the fact that our weather goes from cold to sweltering overnight- which is why I was thinking of putting them in in January instead of February. Since I get small yiels anyway I have nothing to lose.
So, I will continue to do my research. Best wishes and happy gardening for the new year. Susan

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
7:22 AM

Post #8945280

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8793643
Here is a little picture of Maria Thun Calendar.
See how easy is to follow? just follow the colors and woila'
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8945377

You have to plant in a particular time slot?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8945477

Woudn't you have to make adjustments, based on your location, since we are dealing with sidereal time? That is the part I don't understand.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8945556

The calendar is in Eastern time - Northern Emisphere - here in Dallas I just take one hour away.
Cornish2175 you don't have to plant at a certain time, just make sure that you are planting FLOWER crop under the flower days. You have a lot of choices.
Off course if they are telling me to plant at 4am ... I will wait for the next time available that I can do it.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8946413

Here is the first three months of 2012

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8946943

Drthor,Looks interesting-only out 10 bucks if I don't like it so will add it to my wishlist. I wait till I get enought for free shipping. BUT I am curious, you said in an earlier post that you only plant peas 2/1 and 9/1 yet according to your picture of the calendar 2/1 is a root day- I would consider peas a leaf? but certainly not a root. Was it that date last year?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8947475

2/1 and 9/1 are indicative dates .. sorry I didn't explain.

So in 2012 i will plant peas on FRUIT days and you can see that January 31 is red = fruit.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8948174

Cristina ~ I look forward to your new calendar for this coming year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8948202

And yes, A very Happy New Year to all!
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8948299

Yes, many blessings to all in the New Year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America