Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Tiny little Calico Millie Serama has a name change!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 14, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8911675

Well... Little Millie Serama is still so tiny, but she started developing a waddle and a really red comb! Hmmmm, it was housed as always with its nest mate who was just a little bigger but a cross breed roo that knew he was a Roo from the beginning!
Never once has Millie even tried to crow so oooooooooo, I assumed I had a little hen for sure!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8911683

Since winter was approaching and I had culled down My Seramas to Millie and two more Hens Chickopea and...

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8911692

...Sweet Tater.
I decided to separate the girls from the boys for the winter and give them a snug home in the brooder cage with a 40 watt light. Open the house door so that they could choose to stay in the warmth or go out onto the run as needed! I kept the Roos, old Copper Jack and Carrot , in the larger chicken run with a bantam Hen to keep them company.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8911699

The Rest of the Story as you might have already guessed... Millie decided with the new company that it was definitely time to assert his (ahem) Manly-ness! Yep Millie's new name is now Calico Serama!! He is surely a little devil with the girls !

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8911702

The girls havent been at all interested in laying since Spring and early summer...but now!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8911716

Hee Hee!! Even Little Chickopea, who I thought coulnt lay any more, layed her usual little tiny Hiccup eggie, then as you can tell from the different colors to these eggs , we have two from Tater and two from Chicky-baby!!
No I dont plan on letting them hatch, Just tickled to death that they arrived!! I cant wait for Spring now!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

November 30, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8911926

Thanks for all those great pics,so nice to hear them chicken names again.I`ll be glad when my girls all start laying again,I have never seen such an awful molt as this one,some were almost naked in spots,they are just starting to get there feathers back,good thing we have had mild weather here,in the 60`s today unheard of for us this late in the season but loving every minute of it and so are the girls they got to free range all afternoon and get bugs and stuff.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 30, 2011
9:30 PM

Post #8912111

Great illustrated chicken report, thanks!

My girls are molting worse than usual this year too. There are not many eggs, just lots of feathers!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8912478

I just love the seramas! I wish I could have a couple here... maybe in the spring, hopefully.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8912640

Hmmmm, My orps and marans moulted but the Seramas and my one big ole Brahma never did!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8912831

All but my bantams have gone into full dramatic moult in the last month. It looks like they exploded - feathers everywhere!
Eufaula - do you ship serama eggs?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 1, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8912845

Is there anyone on here that sell fertile eggs,silkie or orpingtons?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8913296

strange it is so cold and they want to molt. Crazy birds.

Eufaula glad things are looking up for you.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 2, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8913425

Hi Tamberlin! Sure Id be happy to send you some eggies,! I would wait until warmer weather though. we have had temps in the 20's and back into the 70's for over two weeks now...crazy weather...not good for eggies!!

donna thank you! Ive reduced my flocks so drastically that it doesnt even seem like my little farm. All my babies are now cooped into 3 areas and do not get to free range any longer. As soon as I can get my caregiving travels , to my Parents, on a better schedule, I hope to get started with a new plan for breeding Seramas . Still looking for a girlie Brahma for my "Wambli".
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8913481

Hi Eufaula,
Yes, definitely should wait for spring! I've been in love with seramas since I first saw them. They have such grace and attitude! I will try to remember to contact you in, say, April?

The weather has been totally messed up here too - Monday I was walking the dog in short sleeves, today the winter coat.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America