Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: How to treat too high PH in long established pond?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 14, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8911727

Any suggestions please. Just did a water test and its reading near 9.0
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8911917

Bonnie

How long since the last ph test? How long since your last water exchange? Also, have you checked any of your other parameters and how are the fish acting? One other question - what time of the day was the ph test done? The time to do the testing is first thing the morning - about dawn. You will find that as the day goes on, the ph levels will go up.

My pond is typically 8ish or so on the ph scale and we have been in the 8ish range for years. Typically it is the big swings in ph that are dangerous for your fish.

If your ph level is higher than what it normally tests, I would do a partial water exchange.

Let us know.

Carolyn

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8911947

Bonnie...I never worry about ph ...if you havent added new things to the pond , like new underwater rocks or cement blocks, or other things that can change ph...I wouldn't worry about it unless you see a real problem. They have a liquid called "ph up" and "ph down" available at places like Pondtastic and PetSmart, but I'd proceed with caution to start messing with it. Readings can be all over the table, depending on the time of day, amount of recent rain, and temps. I'd test different times of day, for several days, and take an average, to see if you really have a problem or not.
Let me know if you need help...

:)
Mary
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8912237

I was thinking about this last night - I don't think I even checked my ph at all this past Summer...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8912265

I stopped checking mine 2 years ago. My water is clear and I keep my filtration going year round (being in Florida, which Bonnie is as well) so the bio-chemistry of the water stays pretty stable. Every now and then, when I clean my filters, I use the water from the pond, and then re-top it off with the hose and a little anti-chlor. No issues.
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8912699

Yep -- I also don't check for Ph - I just make sure the water is clear, plants and fish are healthy -- if you've had no major changes in the last month, I think it'll be fine -- Dax
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8912830

Fish are fine. No signs of problems with them. It was tested late in evening and its first time I've done it. I'm not going to sweat it unless fish have signs of stress. It is right under an oak tree but tree has no acorns on it this year.
Thanks everyone for thoughts and I think I'll just leave it alone except for adding bacteria. I have pondsyme on hand also..
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8912876

We use Pondzyme regularly. It is great for taking care of sludge and crud.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 1, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8913132

I've added extra bacteria/enzyme this past week...just because of the heavier leaf/acorn drop. All seems well, so I'm not worrying about it. The water is clear, so I'm a happy camper.
I know it's not "that cold" with the 47 degree nightly temps...but my fancy guppies in the smaller pond had a hard time, and I found a few dead this morning. It's not water quality, just the chill. I now know I'll have to hurry and get them into my "yet to be built" newer pond even sooner, before the real cold sets in in January.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8915375

Hi MM
Sorry you lost your gupies. I thought they were too delicate to even have outside. I had 2 huge plecos and they died from the cold.
All the fish so far are living. Even Charlie has started checking the nursery pond and the little ones are doing fine. I hope they can make it when the water turns colder.
Have you started digging the new pond? I can't help until after Christmas. Too much going on right now.
Hope your koi are doing well.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8915392

I've had guppies and mollies in the larger ponds that had marshy areas, and they survived. Right now, while all fish are in temporary housing, I have them in a preformed pond, above ground, so I think too much chill hit all the way around. Lesson learned.
My digging will go on hold for a month or so, I just have too much going on. I'm anxious to see what some of the little guys you have, grow up to become. If they are ugly, get rid of them, I'm sure I'll have more to share next spring, so you may as well keep only what you think is attractice. I know you don't want too many more, but I have a couple more to give you. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8915782

You know that song "everything is beautiful in its own way". Thats how I feel about the fish. They have a home and their is room for a couple more. Wait until you see how large the babies have grown. Not a one has ended bellyup.
Hope to see you soon.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8916424

Do you have room for a 16 incher? :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8916939

You bet. We'll just tell Blondie,Goldie & Shamoo to push over.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8936398

For my birthday my son brought me over a white butterfly koi to add to my oldest pond. Its name in Yin and of course he has Yang. He names all of his as he has a small pond on his enclosed patio made from cow waterer I think. He put it up and took it down 3 times before he got it pretty like he wanted it. All surrounded with those curved landscaping edging stones and then he had his dad cut cedar boards to fit around the top. He added white rope light around on top and it looks really nice. Yin is about 8 or 9" and is getting along well with the others. My water is tanen in color but I am not going to change it now. Come spring I will remove all the fish, pump it out, vacuum all the dirt and poop from the bottom and refil. I am not going to remove all those river rock ever again. That was too much of a backbreaking job. They can be swept to different areas while I vacuum.
Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and happy ponding.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America