Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: When is too late to start?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 10, Views: 194
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8911997

Last year the trees weren't bald until mid January. Is waiting to start until the trees have lost all their leaves a hard and fast rule? If that happens again this year, is mid January too late to start my sowing? Do larger and/or older trees take longer to deleaf? Thank you. Robyn

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8912887

Robyn -- i've never heard the saying about the leaves...

I've always heard about "winter solstice" -- but figuring that week of the holidays is pretty busy for most everyone... we dont start that week of Dec.

The majority of us start in early January ... it also depends on your zone. some of us in the frigid north, can even wait as far as late Feb to get started -- which is when i will do the majority of my sowing this year.

for me, every year is different.

BUT -- you'd be safe starting around the new year.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8912954

Thank you so much. That sounds like a good idea, This time of year one more thing could be one too many. I'm also still collecting bottles so a little more time is very helpful. Robyn
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2011
9:31 AM

Post #8934304

I would like to hear about y'alls WS this year. I am not doing any after my total failures last year.Usually I will try again & again with gardening, but this was too much of a hassle, collecting & prepping gallon milk jugs, labeling, etc.,etc. I will just go back to my indoor sowing with heating pads & lights. Good thing I had them as backups last year or I would have been up the creek with no seedlings!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8934604

With two babies in the house indoor sowing would be impossible. Being a newbee, I'm hoping for anything to grow. I'm hoping my zone will give me a helping hand. What does everyone do with the containers when they are done? Throw them away or box them for the next winter?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8934647

i just toss mine in the recycle bin... dont even clean them.
then in the fall i start collecting again.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8934664

That's what I was thinking unless I get really lucky and have amazing success which of coarse will lead to having to at least double the next years sowing. Isn't newbee hope devine? I'm so new I still believe that every seed I plant will sprout. In my mind I know that's not true but my heart refuses to get with it. LOL

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8934670

I find getting germination, any germination in every container is a HUGE success... I think i get about 70-80% ... some germinate then die - hot spring, and forget to water...

some seeds germinate and they grow like weeds -- like chia pets, some you will get 1 or 2.

But i do find any seed that germinates a success.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8934678

How do you get them germinated? Can't the bees get in through the vent holes? This is something that I would have never thought of on my own. Can you buy some kind of powder or something? My mind is now whirling.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8934760

you are confusing germination with pollination.

a seed germinates with soil, warmth and water.

bees pollinate the blooms.

and do be aware, that not all perennials will bloom it's first year... many are second or even third year bloomers.

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8934794

Your right, I got confussed. I've tried to keep track of what seeds I have that tend to go the first year without blooms. Just growing works for me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America