Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Snow Bunting?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8912345

I went looking for snow buntings going to a place recommended by a local birder. Didn't see them but on the way back, I stopped to photograph a Great Horned Owl and there were 2 little birds in the shrubs by the road. Only got this one mostly obscured pic but did get a good look at one of them. I remember it as a very light colored/whitish bird with a rusty crown and other rusty/yellowish patches. Later, I realized that this was probably my snow bunting. I had expected to see them in large groups in the grass. It did fly off and disappear into some grass right under the owl. Can you tell from this pic if this was a Snow Bunting?

Saw it in South Dakota north of the northern Black Hills by a farm that was close to Bear Butte.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8912550

Not sure what it is, but not a Snow Bunting. Possibly an American Tree Sparrow, maybe a leucistic or partial albino individual?

Resin

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8912587

A tree sparrow would be a lifer too, so now it's really killing me that I wasn't able to get a better photo! The birder that I talked to told me that if I saw a sparrow and it wasn't a house sparrow, it would be a tree sparrow. The other bird looked brownish but I didn't get a good look at it. You're probably right. They were probably tree sparrows. Don't worry. I'm not counting it. I did get a good look at it but at the time it reminded me of the Green-tailed Towhee I'd seen the week before. How crazy is that?!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8912779

Yeah, another pic would've helped! This one is close to being clinchable, but not quite there.

One tip about Snow Buntings: they don't do shrubs. A Snow Bunting perched in a shrub would be about as rare as a Ring-necked Duck perched in a shrub ;-)

Look for SnoBs in open gravelly / sandy places with no more than sparse weeds.

Resin
Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

December 5, 2011
4:05 AM

Post #8916874

American Tree Sparrow would have had my vote.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8918763

Thanks Burd. I'm pretty sure that's what they were.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America