Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Zone Gardening: A fruit in Thailand

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 172
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pp888

December 2, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8913412

Hi,
From the plant I am looking for I know only the fruits (see the middle of the picture). The fruits are smaller and a little bit slimmer than apples. The end where the flower has been is round (like a tomato). The fruit inside has a consistence like a firm pear. The flavor is fresh and sweet like an apple or a pear. In the middle there is no stone but a kind of small carpel which I unfortunately did not examine further.

As I was told by a Thai woman the name should be "phut saa". When looking up this name in Google I found only the translation "jujube" (Ziziphus spec.). Both species of that genus I know of (Chinese Jujube, Z. jujuba, and Indian Jujube, Z. mauritiana) have fruits which are very different from the fruits I have photographed and eaten.

The fruits have been sold in november in many places in the north-east part of Thailand. Can anybody help me?

Thumbnail by pp888
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podge1980
Ubonratchathani
Thailand

December 10, 2011
4:06 AM

Post #8923553

I know these too but can't help.

medlarman

medlarman
Fairfax, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8936448

Compare your picture with that in the Khmer Online Dictionary -- the fruit looks similar and the Cambodians are identifying it as Z. mauritania. (Scroll down and click on the jujube listing -- I can't link to it directly from Dave's Garden).

http://dictionary.tovnah.com/topic/fruit/?img=1&offset=41&sort=&start=

Maybe these are just the regional version of Z. mauritania? I know Z. jujuba varies enormously between different cultivars; perhaps that's also true of the Indian jujube.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 20, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8936715

As I was looking at the pictures on the link my mouth was watering!! lOL!! I ate lots of Thai fruits especially bought from the floating market. i wish i could go back!! So What had you decided it is?

Belle
Alileo
Manila
Philippines

December 21, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8938947

To me it looks like Spondias purpurea; the fruit is green at first, but turns reddish the more ripe it gets.
Try this link: http://www.stuartxchange.org/Sineguelas.html
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 21, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8938952

They look very similar to Indian Jujube (mauritiana).

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/images/2008/jujube.jpg
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 22, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8939044

alileo,

I tend to agree with your guess.i wish I can buy them here.

belle
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 22, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8939212

I grew them here in Texas for a bit but they are not very cold hardy.
You can grow the Chinese Jujube in your area. Sugarcane Jujube would be a good purchase for you. It is smaller in size but very sweet.
Plancton
zones 10 to 11
United States

December 6, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9351760

I knoe Echo community carries them seeds... they are at south Florida... think it's $6 for a packet or so... they did germinate when I bought them last year. But there is 1 type that don't have thorns... not the 1 at Echo
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9357877

Comparatively thorn-less it can grow to zone 8 and just now growing in zone 9.
Regards,
Masud.

Thumbnail by KAMasud
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America