Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: Short Days on the December Homesteads

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 50, Views: 412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 2, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8913505

Please join us!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1228002/

This message was edited Dec 2, 2011 9:18 AM
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8914185

Darius, maybe you could put some cup hooks in the wall and string monofilament between them. Then you could hang a few of your favorite ornaments and your Christmas cards on it.

When my kids were little they each made a paper angel in Sunday School. We always put those on top of the tree. But a few years back I gathered up the kids ornaments, the ones we had bought for them over the years and all the ones they made in school, and I gave them to them for their trees. The angel on top of our tree is one I bought from a kids church group raising money for missions. It is made from a water bottle, a white lunch bag, a styrofoam ball and some odds and ends of ribbons. I will try to get a better pic of it for you.

Sue, I have about given up on losing weight. I don't have the willpower to diet and I can't exercise anymore. I hope you can get your school girl figure back.

I only got 1 egg today.

Here is a new ornament DH bought for me.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8915384

I sold 46 ducks at the DeGraff auction today. I almost didn't get to go as I rolled a tire right off the rim at 0500 this AM when we were leaving to go. I actually broke tools getting the wheel off. I don't know what the idjits who put that tire on the truck used to torque it down, but it was a killer.

Darius, a lot of your lines could probably be run IN your new duct work. That's what I did with a lot of mine. You're right the grey stuff was recalled and I think there was even a class action lawsuit concerning it all.

I took my drawings in to the bank to see if they were good enough for a loan an Donna (loan administrator) said they were perfect. Now I just have to get them finished and get all the estimates. Hopefully I'll be getting the loan in about 15 months and can get started on building my cabin. I am installing my own septic system and am actually going to start laying the leachbeds this spring. I'm getting kind of excited.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8915395

Nik, I never considered running any lines IN the ductwork... have to think on that some but sounds like a good idea, Thanks!

Cool work on the cabin plans!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8915425

The yogurt I made last night turned out great. I ate some tonight with persimmon in it. It was delish!!!! I love persimmons. A friend sent me 4 big Japanese persimmons with the family at TG. I put 3 in the freezer.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 3, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8915444

I don't think I've ever eaten a persimmon. There's been some discussion between the varieties somewhere on the recipes forum, and I saw 4 on the produce shelf when I drove over to Boone today, but all looked beat-up.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8915463

Happy December (I guess) more like hectic December here. I love the Christmas tree Cajun. I work in a retail business and do not even put up a tree. If inspired, I will plug in a ceramic tree but that is the extent of my decorating.

I rather like persimmons. The locals have a saying about "someone grinning like a possum eating a green persimmon". It is a bit bitter if not allowed to be exposed to a good frost before eating.

At first thought the water lines in ductwork was an interesting thought. They wouldn't need insulation on freezing nights but then what if the power is out for an extended time (happens here too often) and there isn't heat in the ducts. Or what if it sprung a leak and you found it when it came out the ducts in the house. hmmmm... I think I'd have to pass.

Still waiting on a good amount of tomatoes to ripen. I may have to pick them this weekend as we are anticipating a drop in temps for a few days.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8916054

The big Japanese persimmons are all pulp and no seeds. Great for using in breads. I just love 'em. I'll have to see if they will grow here. The smaller ones do but you don't see a lot of them like you do back home.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8933014

Hello everyone. Merry Christmas. I was kinda extra busy with 4 extra kids, then 5 kids, then quickly down to one extra then I got sick and stayed that way for 7 weeks and 2 weeks of that I was like a Zombie and life kinda disappeared during that time but much better now and have tons to catch up on...Million things to do. Spring is around the corner and I have to get started on sowing and germinating seeds. (greenhouse) Love it! So Much to say, so much to read and catch up on. I missed everyone.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8933017

Glad to see you back! Things are slow right now on this forum but I'm sure that will change when spring starts approaching...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8933962

Had to put some of those little plastic fence things over my pots of garlic and onions to keep the cat out of them. That cat has got to go before Spring. I'll bring him to the barn.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8934126

That is a nice tree Cajun. Bright and wintery. burr. Hope you have a wonderful time with you family this Christmas.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8934129

We bought two more goats. Both females. One is suppose to be pregnant but I have my doubts.
and the pregnant goat has only one ear. Her name is Butthead...she is head honcho.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8934140

The rabbit had babies. Nov 30th 1st day picture

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8934141

3 days old. Dec 3rd . ...she had 7 babies.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8934144

Tom Turkey flarring up at the rooster next door.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8934151

My Easter Egger chicks are growing up. Hungry teenagers. (bout 15 to 16 weeks old)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8934157

heres a funny.
a Redneck Chia Pet
cow patty with grass growing out of it.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8934164

I grew a big fall garden but I was not able to harvest all of it while I was sick. A lot of it went to waste. Yes, family knew I was sick. No they did not help harvest. Everyone was busy doing their own thing.

October 14th= two thirds of what I planted. broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8934166

the other third

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8934167

I got sick just when much of it needed to be harvested.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8934169

yum

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8934170

November 20th. picture (got sick nov 22)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8934175

the plants were huge and healthy and the veggies are delicious.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8934177

I started harvesting as soon as I feeling better. Lost a lot.
these are in a giant colander.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8934180

I was impressed with the purple cauliflower A+ (confetti, I think)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8934184

underneath the purple cauliflower was marbled...very pretty. I don't know if it keeps it's color after cooked. I chopped it up and froze it. Will know soon.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8934187

planning to have a simple Christmas dinner= Cauliflower cheese soup using the purple and white cauliflower.

small headed cabbage... golden cross , I think

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8934201

Darius ~ I just read your blog on antibiotic spices and enjoyed it very much. It brought to mind a book I have on Herbal Antibiotics. I need to dig that book out and reread it. At the time I got it, I convinced four other people I know to own their own copy also.

We had always assumed the spices used on southern meats was due to the possibility of it being tainted or covering the tainted taste. After reading that book, I learned that was indirectly correct. The seasonings used were antibiotic in form. Thanks for reviving my interest in this topic.

I think wellness will become a big issue in our own future healthcare and this will contribute to it. Excellent article!

CricketsGarden ~ I am sorry you were so ill. You are not the first person that I've talked to this fall that became so sick from the prescribed antibiotics. Now I wonder if it is only one type or is something else going on there...

Wishing all a Merry Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year ahead. Kristi

edited to add ~ this is the book I am refering to http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Antibiotics-Stephen-Harrod-Buhner/dp/1965115314

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 9:44 AM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8934225

Thanks, pod... BTW, his book has been on my Wish List for a while now.

I heartily agree about wellness becoming a big issue. It should have been all along, with us taking individual responsibility for it first, rather than solely rely on some "professional" we were taught to believe knew better than we did.
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8934325

Cricket those bunnies are the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. Thanks for making my day. Beautiful garden and sorry that some of it was wasted. Wish I was closer. I would have been glad to help. Sometimes I wish for a transporter so that I could get myself around the country to help my friends when they need it. :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8935471

I was taking Olive Leaf for my sinus infection back in October and it wasn't strong enough to take care of it and the infection spread and worsened. Tis why I had to see a doc. I think I ended up with a sinus infection when I raked out the barn for the new chickens. So did a turkey next door and a Hen... ekkkk. I did spray the barn for fungus, mold and any diseases that may have been in there before I put the chickens in there. Too bad I couldn't spray my sinus passage.

We knew there was suppose to be a Well on this property when we bought it 6 years ago but we never could find it not even with a metal detector. The boys were out back digging in the side of an embankment and for some reason they decided to dig further up the hill bank and accidentally found the Well. There is a Well project in the future.

I will be sowing seeds Christmas Day. Wave Petunias, Begonias, Peppers, Tomatoes. Anxious.
Years ago , before I had a greenhouse business, I grew my tomato plants in the clear 2 liter coke bottles and I just loved watching their roots grow. After the business started(12 years ago) I grew them in black containers that I ordered in bulk. I miss watching my tomato roots grow so I have been collecting 2 liter bottles and storing them in a storage container==ready and waiting. Excited. LOL. rolling my eyes at self.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8938376

All that produce looks great! Shame the family let it watse like that. All your hard work wasted.

Love the goats. How did Butthead lose an ear? I need to borrow my friend's buck again and breed my 2 does. I just want to be sure I am not having to milk when I want to be on vacation.

The bunnies are cute. How many adults do you have and what is your plan for the bunnies?

I baked 3 dozen mini muffins, blueberry and raspberry, and 4 dozen chocolate pecan cookies for the church get together tonight. Now I have to get out and get the feeding done. I was waiting for it to quit raining. So glad it's "warm" out. This time year before last we were snowed in and out of power for 6 days. God has blessed us this year. Can't wait to see the kids at Christmas.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8939764

oh me oh my.
Son said he had to bring me my Christmas Gift tonight and it couldnt wait.
He came over with a gift on a dinner plate and sat it in my lap and said open it on the plate. I thought it was going to be some raw meat.
I detached the tape on both ends and the seam was on the top and I pulled the seam open and IT MOVED and I SCREAMED and it was a 6 wk old bunnie. Very friendly. No idea if it is a he or a she..
My plan for the bunnies are to raise a good starter stock and then breed for eating. I like rabbit meat. But I think it's gonna be harder raising them my self and then eating them than it is to eat someone elses.

Butthead was born with no ear. There is no ear passage either. Just skin and fur .

Yep, the jet stream is much better this year. My aunt in DesMoines said they are normally shoveling snow by now but not this year.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8939998

Bunnie update... some eyes didn't open. They seemed puffy and slightly matted so I put polysporin on them 2 days ago and that helped alot.
doctoring a few more eyes for a few days . Brought the mommie and babies in the house so it would be easier for me to clean their eyes a few times a day.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8940004

babies are 3 weeks old now. They grow so quickly.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8940090

They certainly do. I used to raise rabbits to eat. Treat them well but know from the start they will be for meat and don't get attached to them. Don't cuddle them and talk to them. Handle them like a product rather than a pet. It will get easier over time.

DH is back on antibiotics. They had done a skin graft on his foot a week ago yesterday. Yesterday they changed the dressing and everything looked fine. Last night we had our Christmas get together at church. We had a wonderful time and Steve felt fine. At the end of the party he got cold and before we got home, we live next to the church, he had fever and chills. Took him to the doctor today and they checked his foot. It is red but no soft spots that would indicate pockets of infection. He has swollen lymph glands in his groin so the doctor but him on bactrim until the culture report comes back. May have to switch him when he sees exactly what kind of infection it might be. We are praying it's a cold or something minor giving him the problems. We shall see. At any rate, he is as cross as 2 sticks. It is understandable. It is so frustrating. He was so looking forward to having a great time with the kids and grandsons for Christmas. this will put a bit of a damper on things but we will still have a nice time. We bought him an infared turkey fryer tonight for Christmas and I think that may keep him busy until he feels better.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8940172

That's an unpleasant Christmas for Steve; hope it's nothing more serious.

I don't remember ever eating rabbit, but I may have as a kid. I can remember turtle, alligator, wild boar, rattlesnake and even squirrel. My dad ate everything!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8940187

We always had a lot of rabbit Darius when I was a kid. Every spring I would get bunnies for Easter. Then somewhere along the line we would have rabbit for dinner. :0) Took me a while to make the connection. I still love a good piece of fried rabbit, but it is really expensive to get here and DH doesn't really like it.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 23, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8940192

I've only seen it in a grocery store up in Charlottesville; no one carries it at our farmer's markets or stores here. I'd hate to raise some meat rabbits only to find out I didn't like rabbit!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 23, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8940222

Oh, what cute bunnies! I could never eat them. I am such a softy when it comes to animals.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8940581

Cajun , I hope Steve gets well quickly so yall can enjoy your Family Christmas.

Farm animals and eating them.= I normally don't have a problem with it. I'm not a softy but not hard as stone either. I will be breeding more rabbits by 1st week in Feb. I know I need to organize my pens and build them to be easier to tend to and keep a rabbit family tree ledger.

Darius= you need to find someone with rabbits for sale = sometimes they will dress the rabbit for you for a few more dollars. Try it.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8940582

Oh= i never met an animal that didn't taste Great on a grill.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2011
9:42 PM

Post #8942012

Merry Christmas
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 25, 2011
4:41 AM

Post #8942122

Merry Christmas
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8942564

Merry Christmas
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8942953

I'm back online. I had some computer issues, but they have been corrected now. I hope everyone had a Merry and Joyous Christmas.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 26, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8942962

Welcome back!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8944317

Welcome back. We were missing your posts.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8944355

Cute pic, Cheryl!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #8951079

And on to January 2012 Watch out for zombies...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235605/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America