Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: TOMATOES season 2012 starting soon in zone 8a

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8913605

I am getting all my supplies and seeds ready to start my tomato season of 2012.
I will use ROOT ORGANIGS soil medium and my heating mat to start my tomatoes seedlings.
This year I will start the larger tomatoes first and after the cherry size ones (which they have no problem on our hot weather). The larger tomatoes will not take the heat like the smaller ones, so I am starting them earlier.
The date below are suggested by the "2012 North American biodynamic sowing and planting calendar" by Maria Thun.
I have been following her calendar for a while now and it works like "magic"

December "FRUIT crop" planting dates:
15, 16, 17 December 2011: I will plant my larger size tomatoes (ex. Celebrity, BHN444, Black Krim, Cheroke Purple ...)
24, 25 December 2011: I will plant my cherry tomatoes (ex. Sweet 100, Gold Nudget, Sungold ...)

Good luck !

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8917697

You sure don't waste any time getting started do you.? If I had to handicap our little zone 8a and 8b contest for first ripe tomato next spring, (see Tomato forum), I would probably give you 2 to 1 odds to be the winner. I wonder if we could get Vegas to lay odds and take bets on the outcome? It might make it even more interesting (ha)!

However, I too will be planting seeds on Dec. 15 if, when I consult my book, that is when Maria Thune tells us it's time to plant. So, may the best man/woman/tomato grower win! And I won't be cheating by buying transplants with the tomatoes already on the plant like last year.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8917806

I am so proud of ya hrp50.
let's start ... weeee
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8945226

Have just now started my tomatoes, heirloom cherokee purple which is our all time favorite and a plum heirloom called principe borghese- new for me but we love roasted tomatoes with goat cheese so thought I'd give it a try. eggplant and peppers I have also started hoping to get a jump on their producing season- july and august they literally go dormant until about late september. I fed most of my neightbors off of 2 each plants.
You Texans have a jump on me but lets see who has the first tomato!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8945272

cornish2175
good job.
I have started a forum dedicated to growing tomatoes on zone 8 here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233680/
Please post your success.
I have found out that I really need to start tomatoes early here in Dallas ... otherwise the heat just kille them.
I will start peppers and eggplants in January.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8945373

In June 1985 my husband sent me to Texas City, Texas from Philadelphia while he was on deployment. I was used to having tomatoes in September ( I picked from a u-pick farm and canned 150 qts each year) Didn't have tomatoes to can that year!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America