ROSE ROSETTE disease pictures

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here some pictures of the most horrible rose disease.
I had to remove half of my roses last year. Now I did find out that my neigbor is loaded with this problem.
The disease is air-borne.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The pictures are from her garden not mine. But I am really concerned.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

more ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

my neigbor never spend any time in the yard.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

does anybody know which "high autority" shall I call to make her remove those plants?
Higher than HOA.

Thumbnail by drthor
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Try talking to these guys:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/lawn_garden/

I'll bet they can guide you. Extension services can be very helpful for this kind of thing.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks I already did write them. I am just waiting and having horrible nightmares.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Good for you! Pro-active. I have a neighbor who allows her weeds to creep into my garden. Once I eradicate the ones in mine, I pull any that are within a foot of my yard. Bu that doesn't seem to be an option for you.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, drthor! And you do have such lovely roses. In which county is Irving located? I know there is a co-operative agent in Tarrant county. Is that near you? Well, the point is: I would go visit the co-operative extention agent with jurisdiction in your area. Pester him/her a little. Maybe they can do something--but I don't know what. It seem to me that the USDA should have some sort of say in comunicable plant diseases, shouldn't they? Let us know how you progress.... =(

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks
So far my neigbor has done nothing ...
I am waiting to hear from people

Richmond, TX

What if the roses just mysteriously died? They were obviously sick, after all...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Porkpal, the disease is caused by a virus being spread by other plants. Virginia has a terrible problem with it, and has a great article on their web site:

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-620/450-620.html

Here is a section that I think specifically applies to this situation:

The disease is known to be transmitted by the eriophyid mite Phyllocoptes fructiphylus or by grafting. The wild multiflora rose (Rosa multiflora) is very susceptible to the disease and is a common source of inoculum. Cultivated roses planted downwind of infected multiflora rose are especially at risk because the mite vector travels on wind currents from infected to healthy plants. Some growers have observed symptoms on previously healthy plants within four weeks of being planted downwind from diseased multiflora rose.

The causal agent of rose rosette disease is not soil-borne, so it is possible to successfully plant healthy roses in beds where diseased plants have been removed; however, the pathogen may persist in old root pieces that remain in the soil from previous diseased roses. If plants regrow from these old root pieces, as multiflora rose is apt to do, they can serve as an inoculum source for healthy plants. Therefore, it is important to remove old plants thoroughly and ensure that infected plants are not allowed to regrow from old, infected root pieces.

So no matter what Drthor does, there will be continued problems specifically because the neighbor has not removed the diseased roses.

Richmond, TX

Does the mite persist in dead plants? I thought it did not.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm with porkpal. The mysterious demise of obviously uncared for plants would probably not be questioned. Wait for a dark and windless night.... ;~)

Do they have dogs? Security lights? Lazer activated securty alarms?

Seriously, though, I do think if you have a plant nursery nearby, and if they sell roses, then they might be as interested as you in finding satisfactory closure to this matter. After all, if they have roses for sale, and if they are close enough to be concerned with wind-borne infection, then they just might know who to contact regarding potential loss of their inventory. Also, are there regular landscapers working in your neighborhood? They might also be concerned about contamination of any roses in their care. If they all start complaining to the HOA or even to the local extension agent then something might get done. I don't know what, but there must be something.

Best of luck to you. I know I would be gnashing my teeth over this if it were me!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Diseased is not dead.

Richmond, TX

Oh, but so close...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for hope DonnaMack.

terro_emory ... They don't have dogs or light activated secutiry alarms ... as far as I know they just go out the front door to get their mail.
They live in a milion dollars home, they have a crystal chandelier that is on all night with more than 100 light bulbs, they are both doctors and they could care less on what their garden look like.
The landscaper cut the grass only. They let the shrubs grow like a jungle. Last year I had to really beg HOA to have a look at their horrible yard !!

I have contacted the city and there is NO ordinance or code for the disease ... aaahh

I will wait one more week and after I will send over my husband !!

Otherwise I will move ... but I love my house ... I have planted millions of bulbs and flowers in the last 6 years ... oooohhh

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How awful to live near people like that!

My neighbors also have a big and expensive house, and has incredible landscaping install that was neglected. They boasted to me of the 8 year old Redbud they installed - by far the most beautiful one I have ever seen - dead within a year because of no water, and planting in the wrong kind of soil. I step over the property line with my dandelion digger to remove weeds within a foot of my property line. They installed big trees that never grew because of lack of care. My yoshino cherry is bigger than their silver linden. They had 5 magnificent white pines and killed three of them. 15 year old Kentucky coffee trees haven't grown an inch since installation.

And then, to add insult to injury, they planted about 60 Knockouts.

It's a shame when people with lots of money build big, ostentatious houses and let the outside look so awful. I'm so sorry that you are going through this (and wow, what is the matter with your HOA)???!!!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

thaaanks for your support.
The roses are still there .. I will wait one more week before I send over my DH

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

If they are doctor they should understand the concepts of disease transmition. If they still don't do anything, buy a sprayer w/a verrrryyyy long wand. We won't say a word.

Richmond, TX

I recommend a basal treatment with "Remedy" - highly specific and effective.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Personally, I think it would be great to spray something on the owners! (Did I say that?)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

It is very difficult to deal with self-centered and thoughtless neighbors. I know that first hand. Thus I live in the middle of 75 acres. My parents asked me why I need that much land when we first moved here to Texas and I told them it gave me time enough to take aim at any unwanted neighbors straying onto my property. Yes, I previously had abutting neighbors from you-know-where and now I'm crotchetty and grumpy about such things. One of these former neighbors actually sprayed my fence line including several peonies and first year climbing New Dawns (3) with Round Up. They didn't ask or say anything to me they just did it. When I asked them what they thought they were doing they told me the roses and peonies attracted bees and they didn't want bees around their children. These little dears were not allergic to bee stings or anything like that. The parents didn't want the bees near their children as they might frighten them. Same for the peonies except they attracted ants also and ants might frighten them as well. I could go on, but we'll just leave it at that and I will now take some deep, cleansing breaths.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow. That's one of the worst stories I've ever heard. A friend of mine was selecting houses and wanted to avoid Homeowners Associations (alternately useless and interfering) and swing sets/tramoplines/sand boxes and the like. It seems harsh, but people sometimes do very stupid things, presumably for the sake of their children, who are often poorly disciplined. Imagine destroying a neighbor's property because of some projected benefit for your children. Or sending your children outside to scream because they are tired of them. Or the issue of not teaching a child how to properly curb a dog (not a pretty sight, a dog lifting its leg over your peonies, ten feet onto your property). Maybe because the parents let their animals do their business everywhere.

I finally put some Sea Foams in to prevent trespassing. They spread beautifully sideways, so I only needed a few, and if you try to walk through them the thorns will rip your legs off - your dog's too. (Smile)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

It must be a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE ... or my neighbor has been reading this forum ...
Today the landscaper REMOVED all MY NEIGHBOR'S infected roses ....wwweeeeee

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Cool!!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, FANTASTIC!

Richmond, TX

Yep, a Christmas miracle. Hooray! Perhaps they aren't such bad neighbors after all.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Gee, that's what I was thinking. Maybe they are just supper busy and expected the landscaper to take care of it. And he didn't............

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

nope : a cause of total "I dunno care" how my house look on the outside ...

Anyway ... I am really happy now and I plan to make a cake to thank them ....

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, good idea, Dr. Thor. Some people, like dogs, need training in order to reinforce desired behavior. Your cake is the dog treat. Maybe you can give them a little rub under the chin, too. And between the ears.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

giggle ....

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Drthor... Congratulations!

Please keep a close, close watch on your own roses because the symptoms can take a while to manifest. I lost about 30 of my roses to this wretched disease. The multiflora rose in the "abandoned" property next door was infested. If only I had known what to look for I think I could have prevented some of the spread. Once you know what to look for, you see it everywhere. I called the Virgina Dept. of Agriculture on a local nursery who was selling infected roses, and I found some at a local Big Box as well. Be suspicious and be ruthless- because all symptoms of Rose Rosette do not need to be in evidence for the disease to be killing your plants. Those are excellent pictures and I suspect those roses were far along.

Playing devil's advocate, maybe your neighbor was trying to figure out what was happening to the roses. Many "rose experts" in VA insisted that the disease was rare and couldn't possibly be what I was seeing. I got that over and over, from folks who would even refuse to come out and look because they didn't want to believe the disease is spreading. The local Big Box manager insisted I was confusing "new growth" with the disease... even though the Knock Outs they were selling looked like the first photo you posted!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW ... same here.
Even the company that take care organically of my garden didn't know what I was talking about.
Now I have the eyes to spot Rosette disease from far far away ...
What will we do without our roses ?

Anyway, I am happy that my neighbor took care of th eproblem right away.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

One more point... be careful about using a Round-up type killer on infected plants. Once I did find reputable help I was advised to dig-up and bag the plants. If the plant dries up and has a slow death the mite that carries this disease is motivated to detach and float off on the next strong wind to a healthy, green host!

I'd go a step further to use a disposable work suit or at least remove all clothing and wash it before moving to work in your healthy garden.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

WOW
I never use Round-up ... anyway it is a horrible disease !!
I will know for sure about the other roses at Spring time.
Wish me luck !

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

DrThor- I know! I have all my rose books, rose magazines and I just want to cry. I have found solace in indulging in hardy Salvias, which I love (the Greggii are favorites). I have given in to buying plants that won't over-winter so I can fill holes, and then replace the next spring. I ordered some exhibition style mums that I allowed to grow like garden mums. That was fun and if our warm winter keeps up I may just have them next spring. I also indulged in Clematis. They didn't do much, but I am hoping that like roses they will astound me this year or next.

I have 2 roses that look OK, so I am giving them this spring to prove they are in fact OK. They can't infect anything else (aside from the multiflora along the cow field across the street) at this point! One is a Dainty Bess and the other is either a Red Eden or a William Shakespeare 2000 (I forgot which was planted where!). If they go, they go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Dainty Bess, as I love her so. Perhaps my out of control catmint saved her?

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I grow Nepeta in with my roses as many years ago a rose nurseryman from the old ARS list serve told me that lady bugs love to over-winter in it. Once they "wake up" in spring, he told me they are very hungry and will voratiously eat every aphid and mite they can find. I had also heard that rosemary is a favorite with the lady bugs. I don't know that having lots of lady bugs around would help at all with RD as I've read that the RD carying mites can lurk in the graft which I usually bury, but I like lady bugs so I grow their favorite plants when I can.

I know that it is expensive to buy from nurseries that certify virus free, but I buy from them because it is one less thing to wory about. I'd probably have wayyyyyy more roses in my garden by now if I weren't so fussy about my rose sources. Of course, if my neighbor is not so fussy then my roses are at risk, too. It is so hard to deal with this aweful disease!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Ladyschweig, that's fascinating! They say they don't know about it? When I was looking for information on the disease and googled Rose Rosette disease, the very first entry is the Virginia Cooperative Extension! The very first one!

As for Roundup, I rarely use it, but my method is to take a little bowl of it, put on disposable gloves, dip two fingers in the bowl and touch the plant victim. Intersting enough, in the conservation community I just left after13 years, Roundup was sprayed by the landscapers they hire all the time - and people have the burnt plants to show for it. It is not something you spray!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Donna- the Extension never doubted... but asking ARS folks and Nursery folks was just asking for trouble.

Normally I do not buy my roses from the Big Box or even the local independent nursery... but the latter had a gorgeous Gemini that I simply could not resist. I learned my lesson! I have loved buying from Amity Heritage roses and I bought a whole bunch from a rosarian who was retiring in Sherando, VA a few years back. Aside from that Gemini I had only own-root roses. Oh, this is so sad to recall. I want my roses back someday but this RRD has me so scared that i am waiting a couple of years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images