Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: sewing "buddy" for quilt class do you have a fav sewing too

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 32, Views: 224
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8914354

this little needle etc. envelope is the "Cat's Miau" as a sewing buddy. Approx 9" X 5 Holds pins, fav needles ,2 scissors, snippers, ripper ,2 needle threaders, safety pins, tweezers, emery board for nail emergency,measuring tape will be added to the bottom of envelope, short pencil with eraser. Best of all BoHo pouch for thimbles as closure. (button) as in this pix

This message was edited Dec 2, 2011 10:06 PM

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8914355

inside view. please show your fav. tool or sewing accessory

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8914443

This isn't something I use but I treasure it because it was made for me by my favorite aunt.

It's an old fashioned chatelaine to hold sewing supplies handy around my neck. I've made it too heavy though because I've attached my collection of sewing related pins. Was it not for the pins, it would be a very handy accessory to have, you wouldn't have to worry about dropping your sewing tools. I did take the scissors off because I use them all the time. Tools are: bees wax (hard and unusable now), pin cushion, Needle threader, awl, seam ripper, and as I said it did have little scissors.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2011 11:58 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8914814

OMG that is so beautiful. How do all those things attach? Must be very handy

I have a pattern for one - this has quilted little pockets. It is PP

This message was edited Dec 4, 2011 2:45 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8914819

They are on a ribbon and the ribbon is tied to a ring.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8914824

These are links I found for them.

http://www.creweljewels.com/Needlework-Chatelaines-s/1.htm

http://www.creweljewels.com/What-s-a-Chatelaine-s/54.htm

This message was edited Dec 3, 2011 12:04 PM

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8915546

one of my favorite tools , is nothing fancy or pretty just something I've found to work very well !!! fiskars scissors, fine tip...I have a pair in my "travel bag", a pair on my sewing table, a pair on the cutting table...

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8915547

my most favorite tool...was a gift, now this photo is not mine, but mine is very similar...I do not have a photo of mine.
a thread catcher :)

Thumbnail by barefootT

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8915777

I just can't have enough scissors. I'm a pain about them though, don't want anyone to use them. My boys liked to use my 4' Ginghers to trim their moustaches, so I bought them their own for Christmas.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8916057

I am sure those snippers are an important tool. I want to make one of those thread catchers.I laughed when I first saw one but now I do appreciate the importace...

Love All kinds of scissors. Try to have one or more at each working station. I do like the Mundial brand above all. I do have several Gingher I find them too heavy...
My mother hid hers from my kids all the time. Scissors and scotch tape.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 4, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8916458

The favorite thing about the Ginghers is I can sharpen them my self. That's another thing every one knows not to touch...MY Arkansas stone. They all have their own as they are hunters and fishermen and sharp knives are important. Extra benefit, they keep my kitchen knives sharp as razors.

Actually, I 'm a bit of a pain about all my sewing stuff. Really don't want anyone in my sewing room. I'll share most anything else though.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8916853

I have a few of those clip-ons with a pulley & hook at the end. I "wear" my trimming scissors when I sew. If I don't wear them, I'm forever looking fro them (usually under a pile of pieces).
I have those trimming Fiskars Thunder mentioned & they are WONDERFUL.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8924313

Sounds something I should have put on my Christmas list! I JUST finished the clipping of the lastest rag quilt. I have to repair the one we'r working on for the boss. One of my "helpers" (co-workers) cut right thru the seams multiple times... I'm a little annoyed. If you are over 20 I think you should be able to clip without MANY errors. OH well... Off I go to do repairs before we can finish.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 10, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8924324

Those scissors with the spring are a life (and hand) saver when doing the rags.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8925008

Fiskars, also make a "rag scissors" I have those too. they are what I use for the rag quilts.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8925027

Is that different than the spring ones Thunder? Picture please I might need to know this.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8925058

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3195&PRODID=prd29163
perhaps this

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8925129

Ahhhh ok those look great. Added to the list.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8925395

Yes what Helene linked too... got mine with a 50% off coupon!! they are great!!! the first rag quilt I made...I cut with regular scissors :( my hands hurt for a long time after that...swore I would never do another one LOL
then I saw all the lovelies every one was working on...got the opportunity to get some great flannels...Had to jump back on that wagon!!

still not finished clipping, but I am in no hurry, I only work on it here and there , when sitting in the living room with the hubs, and that is not too often lately...too much sewing going on

Thumbnail by barefootT

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8925700

Thunder: OMG such an eye. This will be beautiful. You all come up with new quilting ideas so we need to buy new tools.
It's ok, just keep the rubel rolling.
here are 3 unusual scissors, what are they meant for? anyone? One is easy the others???

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
3:53 AM

Post #8925840

Don't know about the one on the left but the center one was used to cut open buttonholes I believe. It was also used in doing cutwork.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8925983

Ooooh I covet those and I don't even know what they are for. I know if I saw them at a flea market I would snap them right up. The chicken ones look almost like a cigar trimmer. Ones on the right are I believe nail trimmers.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2011 9:50 AM

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8926184

I thought the one on the right was for embroidery. The curved tip helps prevent cutting your material... Are you going to tell us Helene???

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8926241

I know you are right about the buttonhole scissors Barb, but pretty sure the curved tips are for nails. They would be good for embroidery though.

Helpful hint: If you are trimming close to something and want to cut closely, as in trimming around an applique, hold your scissors so your thumb and palm are pointing up. It seems a bit awkward until you do it for a bit but does allow you to trim very close. I learned this when I was taught lace insertion for heirloom clothing.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8926269

Karen is close; My mother did home work - applique and that scissor was to cut away the fabric after zig zagging that was the only stitch available back in the late 50's - we did baby bibs for extra $$$. She worked in a baby cloth book place - damaged goods where used for the bibs.

Barb is right - middle are button hole scissors

The first - chicken? what?? I am not telling yet guess a bit. Zigar ? would show tobacco leaf!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8926315

LOL Helene I ran across the chicken scissors at one of my fav. Ebay sites. I won't tell as I didn't really know until I found them. Hint: not for the sewing room. The little curved tip scissors do indeed make excellent applique trimmers, I have some I use for that. Google nail trimmers and you will see that they are double duty tools.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8926351

Well clever Karen, shall we tell? I have to stp playing here - do something constructive.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8926370

Sure Helene go ahead and tell. There are several from vintage to new on sale on Ebay. BTW I do wish I was on Longboat Key for the winter at least, seriously jealous here.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8926597

it's been just beautiful. Still 80 every day.

The chick scissors are soft boiled egg toppers. You place your egg in an egg cup open scissor and just snip the top of the egg. There were also tiny spoons available to eat the egg right from this position. I was always facinated as my father loved eating his egg this way.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8926683

Now see, I could so use this, I love soft cooked eggs. I even had egg cups.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8927133

they do sell more current once in Wms sonoma or stores like that a bit different. do have one of those too

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

December 14, 2011
7:34 AM

Post #8929118

Tools of the trade, have all of the above and am looking for something really special for Santa to bring..can't think of a d&^n thing..does that mean I like many of you have to many toys?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8929415

I have the egg cups an small spoons for eating soft boiled eggs. Never had a fancy gizmo to cut them open. Believe Mom used a regular knife to srart the hole.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America