Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Begonias: Have cane begonia cuttings rooting in water-Now what?

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 18, Views: 240
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8914827

I received a bunch of cane begonia cuttings in the mail a few weeks ago. I didn't really know what to do with them, so I put them in water to root. They are finally sending out very fine roots. Should I now plant them into pots? If so, what kind of soil? I have a few cuttings of four different ones. Should I pot them into each individul pots, or can I put a couple of cuttings into one pot. I've never grown begonias before, other than the little bedding begonia and they get replaced every year. I know if I plant them, I'll have to bring them in if it gets below 50 degrees, or cover them up. I was just concerned about this time of year to propogate cuttings. Any help will be most appreciated.
Eileen
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8914949

Keep them in a warm location for the winter. You can keep them in water if you aren't in a hurry or put them in small pots to begin with. Use a quality potting mix with slow release fertilizer if you can. Water well and then don't water again until the soil is dry on top or the leaves wilt (constantly wet soil will set up rot). Keep in bright light and they should fill the pot in no time. Move up to bigger pots as needed.
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8915107

Thanks for the info. I'll get them into pot tomorrow. Our temps are still mild and if it drops I can always bring them inside for a few days.
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8916017

Most canes will also root very well directly in mix. Bottom heat will significantly speed up the rooting.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8916389

Cane's really are a "cut and poke" at least in my experience. I don't let them get to the point of wilting, but I have a few in pots that have taken an incredible amount of abuse, simply cause I haven't had time to get to them. They haven't bloomed but they haven't died either !! Your farther south than me, I used to live in Palm Bay, so unless we get really chilly weather they should be fine. If you pamper them you'll have beautiful plants come spring, if you forget unless there is a freeze you'll still have plants, just not so nice.
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8916953

Went to check on them this morning. They are outside in the morning sun. One pot has two blooming canes. WppHoo!!
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8924255

Wonderful, Eileen!! Which ones are blooming? I suppose it is Lucerna, since the canes had bloom spikes. I have left Lucerna cuttings in water on a windowsill for the whole winter. In spring the vase was filled with roots.
I pot my begonias in promix and water with Superthrive and Morebloom. This is like magic in the summer. Flower color just pops.
I have brought the plants inside because we have gone down to the upper 20s at night. I would leave them outside if it was no colder than 45. We have too many to keep hauling them in and out.
Johanna
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8924311

Your'e right. It's Lucerna. All the pots are doing great. The leaves are nice and crisp and firm. Come spring, I have the perfect place for them. Right now they are outside, in back on the patio. They get morning sun until around noon. I have them there because I can keep my eyes on them. I don't want thems to dry out. I've been lucky because our temps are mild yet, and we've been gettijng light rain every couple of days in the night.
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2011
2:07 PM

Post #8925370

Personally, I always thought that cane begonias were shade plants. This past summer proved me wrong. They bloom best if given some direct sun and bright shade the rest of the day. And love the fall temps.
I also have Eldora--a cane that is similar to Lucerna. The leaves are almost identical but Eldora's canes branch while Lucerna's grow straight up from the soil. If Lucerna is cut in the middle of a cane, this produces a new branch that grows horizonally---ruins the shape of the plant. So cut it at the soil line. Eldora is new to me. The flowers are white. Next summer I will know if it blooms as well as Lucerna.
Keep me posted!
Johanna
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 11, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8925424

checked them this afternoon and WOOHOO thay all have flowers or buds. Just awesome

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8925446

Johanna,
I think you are right. I have some in the ground and some in pots, and they seem at least for me to bloom better if they get more sun. The ones in the ground getting more shade have beautiful foliage and big fat canes...nary a bloom in site. The ones in pots, getting more sun, neglected to beat the band, are blooming...go figure.
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

December 11, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8925661

You realize that I cried as I cut off those bloom spikes! It is great that someone saw them bloom! Lucerna was 3 1/2 ft tall-- too large to fit on the lighted shelf . I'm hoping that they put out more spikes inside. Maybe Superthrive will work as well under lights.
Will the cuttings be able to stay in the ground all winter?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8926318

Some canes will bloom in shade (Lana comes to mind) but most require some sun to bloom reliably well.

Silvermist blooms well with some sun but I never saw it bloom when I had it in a shady spot. The leaves were prettier in shade though. Here it is when it was in a shadier spot.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 12, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8926325

Oh, those leaves are so pretty. I'll have to look for that one.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8926327

Silvermist in sun with blooms. Leaves are thicker, but lost a lot of their silver splashes, and are as deep green as it was in a shadier location.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9004085

hcmcdole,
The begonia leaves with white markings are beautiful, but they seem to get brown edges easily. Any suggestions to prevent this? I think I lost silver mist because of this. It is so difficult to prevent water from getting on the leaves since I have so many pots!
Johanna

Imadigger,
How are your begonias doing?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9004218

Where are you keeping them when they get brown edges? Inside or outside?

Sounds like low humidity
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9005618

flicker, my begonia are doing great, blooming crazy. They look so pretty. Right now for the past two days they are under blanket to keep warm. They are outside. We had two nights of 32, and 36 degrees at night. Tomorrow the blankets come off. Come spring, I'll be looking for more. LOL
Eileen
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9006681

hcmcdole,
I grow my begionias on an open back porch where they get some direct sun, and very good air movement. Those on the edge of the porch get a little rain if the storm is strong. I do water with a hose sometimes. Other times with a watering can and fertilizer. Occassionally the pots do dry out... but not for long.

Eileen, I will be looking for a few newer varieties next spring, too. I would love Good'N'Plenty and Jumbo Jet.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America