CLOSED: Christmas Swap - Show & Tell - Page 2

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

We're off to a great start receiving gifts. Thank you so much, LK, for volunteering to Co-Hostess. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230282/

These are the options we were given. Choosing our top two wasn't always an easy thing to do.

1. Receive a Stuffed Stocking, either bought or homemade.

2. Receive an Ornament, a decorative Santa, Snowman, or Snow Woman. It’ll be up to your Buddy to choose which one.

3. Receive a minimum of six bows along with a plain wreath, homemade or bought. You as the recipient will be able to change the bows during the coming months and decorate the wreath to your liking.

4. Receive a new decorated Red or Green Garden Trowel or another new decorated gardening tool you can display inside or out. Again, it’ll be your Buddy’s choice.

5. Receive a small artificial tree decorated with traditional or non-traditional items. Non-traditional items could include shells, mirrored tiles, pine cones, feathers, sprays of flowers and leaves, or a combination of these or other items you have in your craft stash or imagination. It’s totally up to your Secret Santa how your tree will be decorated.

6. Receive food or non-food items. A few food items could be cookies, cakes, brownies, chocolates, pickles, and jams. Non-food items could include soaps, potpourri, fuzzy socks, or dish towels. Just for suggestions. Your Buddy will surprise you with their choice(s).

7. Receive a Glass Jar Candle with the scent of your Buddy’s choice.

8. Receive a regional cookbook OR several recipe note cards OR a magazine, new or used, that features Holiday recipes. Again this option will be left up to your Buddy.

9. Receive a mystery gift that begins with First Initial of YOUR User ID.

10. Receive a Large or Small garden flag OR Wind Chimes…your Buddy’s choice.

As always, our goal is to have fun as we celebrate another Christmas together and enjoy each other’s company! Put your thinking caps on, use your imagination, and brighten someone’s day with a box of gifts whether they’re on your Buddy's suggested lists or not.

The value of the gifts you send should be around $20, excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation Number.

Reveal your Secret Santa when you receive your package. Please Priority Mail your package with a Delivery Confirmation number no later than the week of December 5th. If you mail fragile items, please pack them well and insure your package. Keep your receipt handy or D-mail the Delivery Confirmation number you used to either LK or me, depending on which one of us assigned your Buddy.

Please respect your Buddy's privacy and don't post tracking numbers directly on our threads.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1228218/

Our participants this year are...

1234dottie / Dottie -- > RECEIVED FROM Crit
#2 I love ornaments. Snowmen are my favorite. #4 Any kind of garden tool. #10 I do not have any kind of garden flag, I also love windchimes. Would love to have Surprises.

Bettypauze / Betty -- > RECEIVED FROM 1234dottie
absolutely no preference. Cannot receive plants or food across the border.

Carolyn22 / Carolyn -- > RECEIVED FROM deejay9
I don't like vanilla scented things, but love cinnamon. Would like a stocking stuffed with homemade items or things such as gardening tape and seeds. The other ideas all look good too.

ClanCampbell / Chris -- > RECEIVED FROM froggies_girl
#2- I like Santa Clauses best, I guess- really, no preference here
#10- don't really do flags that much, but everyone knows how much I love windchimes :-) (hint,hint) :-)
No allergies, but I don't like food smelling candles (like apple pie, etc) - would rather have something scented like flowers or vanilla (hmm, guess that might be food scented) I once found a victorian rose/vanilla candle that I LOVED.. and they quit making them LOL.

Cris316 / Cris -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine
Would love to receive any of the items. Numbers 2, 6, 7 or 9 especially.
Allergic to bananas. Love vanilla scented items (candles, sachet, etc)

Crit / Patti -- > RECEIVED FROM FruitOfTheVine
#6 is first pick. Second picks would be:
#2 I like snowmen/women
#5 Up to my buddy
#8 I love cookbooks and other people's recipe's that they like
#9 I'm a C. If you opt for cactus, I like unusual hens/chicks, odd cactus like living rock, etc. I'm not especially "asking" for cactus, just wanted to throw that in, in case. It is ALL up to my buddy
#10 Would like to start getting yard flags, but don't have any of the holders that they go on. I also love windchimes.
No allergies. Love food, chocolate, jams and clay thingy's. (hint hint. And that's a C! ) Don't care for cinnamon type scents. Use scentsy warmers more than candles. Like scents like Thunderstorm, Enchanted Mist and Rainforest...or for Christmas Poinsettia Pine.

Cville_Gardener / Carole -- > RECEIVED FROM happgarden
#4 and #10
I don't care for santas, elves, reindeer, angels, stockings, holiday ornaments and so forth. We don't put up a big tree.
Not allergic to anything but not wild about a lot of overpowering scents. Cinnamon, vanilla and citrus are my faves.
Do like small decorated trees (the funkier, the better), yard art, gardening items of all kinds, mobiles, stained glass, dark chocolate, soup fixins, pastas, and coffees/teas (especially organic).

deejay9 / Susie -- > RECEIVED FROM Cville_Gardener
I Would love any of these #2, #3, #6, or #9 but truly anything for my new home. Love rainbow colors. I have a small white tree so I have my hands up for Mini oddball ornaments for my tree from any one :) Love crafty people.

froggies_girl / Julie -- > RECEIVED FROM irisluvr0252
My preferences are #6, 9, 1, 4, or 5 (I'm collecting New Orleans Saints items and their team emblem, the fleur de lis). Hyacinth, paperwhites, or other bulbs are fine. Buddy, I'm putting specifics but I'll love whatever you send. And I'd love a book that the children and I can record favorite Christmas traditions. Can be handmade or bought.

FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > RECEIVED FROM Cris316 and Bettypauze
I'm picking #9 and #10 but would be just as happy with Surprises. Also love dark chocolate, jarred candles, and homemade jams or jellies. Don't send me a Fruitcake...lol, and I can't stand Chocolate Covered Cherries.

happgarden / Joyce -- > RECEIVED FROM Carolyn22
#2 and #9 Anything is ok with me. I am traditional bright red/bright green/and white Christmas person. Love surprises & homemade jelly.

irisluvr0252 / Debbie -- > RECEIVED FROM ClanCampbell
Sorry, I can't pick just 2! #2, 6, 8, 10...out of these 4 I think I would go with #2 and #8 but would definitely be happy with anything my buddy chooses!

jab91864 / Julie -- > RECEIVED FROM purpbutfly
I will be easy, whatever my buddy wants to send. No allergies or major dislikes.

joeswife / Debra -- > RECEIVED FROM warriorswisdomkathy
Surprise me.

lizrainey / Liz -- > RECEIVED FROM rouxcrew
#6 and #10 -- No rose smell, no coconut or cheese.

mandy97 / Mandy -- > RECEIVED FROM taters55
I think I'd like #6 and either #1 or #8 - buddy's choice. I'm not a fan of floral scents, but do enjoy fruit and cinnamon scents.

Mud_Elf / Kris -- > RECEIVED FROM lizrainey
First choice would be # 5. I would like the mini-tree as it can be our Christmas tree for this year. I would love a cowboy or beach themed one.. The cowboy is for the long suffering Ralphie. My second choice is #10 as I can always use more yard art.
Need to say we are in a tiny place so any types of scents over power us so no candles or anything like that PLEASE. And we are on restricted diets so food is out too.

purpbutfly / Cindy -- > RECEIVED FROM Mud_Elf
I would rather be totally surprised. Let my buddy decide what she wants to send me. No candles though because I make candles myself. Would like to have a butterfly tree.

ridesredmule / Char -- > RECEIVED FROM jab91864
#5 and #9 and #10. I can't stand smelly candles. I'm not a candle lover. Can't even go into one of those perfume places. Lord help me around those cinnamon brooms that almost take my breathe away.

Robynznest / Robin -- > RECEIVED FROM joeswife
#2 and #6. I love snowmen. I am allergic to oranges and most citrus fruit. Even the smell of an orange makes me sick. Other than that I'm pretty easy. A snowman and loads of dark chocolate will pretty much make me a very happy camper.

rouxcrew / Joy -- > RECEIVED FROM Mandy97
#6 and #9

taters55 / LK -- > RECEIVED FROM ridesredmule
No specifics, just what ever my buddy wants to send.

warriorswisdomkathy / Kathy -- > RECEIVED FROM Robynznest
#10 (would adore windhimes, hint hint) #5, if possible a traditional (it's been 5 years since I've had a tree and most of my lights and ornaments were aquired by my daughter and family. Love various Santas and or #6. I didn't see anything about any elves, if my trade partner has one to spare that can dig and plant I would forever be grateful.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2011 10:57 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Woo Hoo! First one in! Now back outside to finish covering hay in hopes of rain tomorrow!!!!!

Great box Susie!

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

You got some great things too, Susie. Love it all....

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Susie, loved your box. Carole the silver ornaments are just lovely - I haven't seen anything
like them around here.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

It was sort of like follow the bouncing ball, er box. I'm sooooo glad it's there. Whew! ^_^

OK, waiting to see the next box. ^_^

Aw, thanks, Fruity. You are too kind. ♥♥♥

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Susie, looks like your box was really packed full of goodies from Carole! Nice job!

hayward, CA

nice box wow,

omg joy just love you to peices dh grumbling to go out to dinner will post when i get back geeez men!

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Woohoo! Got my calendar today.. thank you Fruity.. I love it :) Her pics are so beautiful..I think I'm going to keep this year's and use them in my scrapbooking or something.

Enjoy your evening out, Liz. Ya know you could be stuck at home cooking...lol
Joy always packs a beautiful box with lots of surprises.

You're welcome, Chris. But you're not my Christmas buddy either...lol I sent you a calendar because you're in the B-day Club.

The game between VA Tech and Clemson is winding down...and is not looking good at all for Tech ):

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Dang it! I knew I was on the wrong one too LOL!!!

hayward, CA

ok first of all joy was so excited to see it was you!
i have two pictures love the santa and the towel then the windchime says live love laugh has such a nice ring
and look at the cute santa pen

Thumbnail by lizrainey
hayward, CA

then in the second pic this is so cool!
she made dr pepper pralines in the blue box dang near destroyed them already lol
and a yummy sounding pasta/soup ingrediants and recipe to follow.
garden flag, hmmmmm well the rest got me stumped but were talking about me right now hee heee....

there is two jars that say apple carmel butter but one is light and one is dark so i was confused and the other two i believe to be some kind of scrubs omg you should smell the one it smells sooooo good! maby joy can clarify a little please.

joy thank you again i just love your boxes oh btw that wine omg it was to die for!!!!!!!! it was sweet and so good what was the name of it again?

Thumbnail by lizrainey
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That looks sooooo good, Liz. Yum! Very nice things as usual from Joy. ^_^

Liz, one of the jars is Apple Caramel Butter the other is Pineapple Habanero Jam. I looked at all my other jars and they all say the right things but, the orangey yellow one with bits of red is the Habanero jam. It is awesome on grilled chicken or pork, as well as on toast, oatmeal, or even corn bread.
The blah colored one is the Apple Butter.
The round white jar is Vanilla Sugar. There should have been a card for it, but it is a flavored sugar to use wherever you want. The vanilla bean is still in there so don't eat it.
The short kinda flat container is the bath scrub.
So here is the order from left to right, Apple Caramel Butter, Dr. Pepper Pralines, Pineapple Habanero Jam, Pasta Fagioli, (top) Vanilla Sugar, (bottom) Citrus Bath Scrub.

There should have been cards in the box explaining them, Sigh, my blonde strikes again.

I made all the jarred things and the pralines as well. Glad you liked them.

Oh, I believe I sent you a Llano Sweet Red which unfortunately is unavailable outside of TX unless you get me as a swap partner LOL.

Joy

Nice job Joy! Everything looks and sounds yummy!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

afternoon all guess i forgot to click on the watch this thread & could not find you all of but here i is now :)

Joy Someone mentioned or maybe it was you last xmas about the Pineapple Habanero Jam, & it sounded so good but i never found a recipe for it .
is it a family recipe ???

I Made applebutter this fall also & It is good :) i have to go stay with daddy while jim & Jan go bowling tonight had to get a few of my plants
transplanted , into better soil. ya all have a great evening back later .
susie

Well it is a recipe that I put together couple years ago when I had an abundance of Hab's and couldn't find one I liked.
Let me think about all the little tweaks, 1. Watch about fumes when you chop the peppers, they can be bad when you take the lid off the blender or food processor.
2. Use gloves when handling the Habs, the oil can cause a reaction to your skin, much less your eyes if it gets there. I don't use gloves with any other pepper but my hands felt like they had been burned after I tried seeding 15.
3. I use canned pineapple, one can of chunks and one can of crushed. I don't drain them either. I run the chunks in the processor with the peppers.
4. I use a no sugar pectin and don't put all the sugar in. Just my preference. The sweet helps cut the heat.
5. Try your first batch with less Habs especially if you like warm, not hot. It isn't incendiary by any means but it does have a kick. My first batch I used 12, then went with 14 cause I couldn't count. There was a difference in heat.
6. I have added mandarin oranges when I didn't have enough pineapple, awesome. I have added a can when I had enough pineapple, still awesome. I have even added apricots, excellent.

Here it is:

PINEAPPLE HABANERO JAM
* 15 habaneros, seeded and deveined
* 1 orange bell pepper (or a bell pepper the same color as the habs)
* 4 cups cubed pineapple
* 1 cup vinegar
* 5 cups sugar
* Pectin
* pinch of salt
In a blender, chop up all the chiles, bell peppers, pineapple and vinegar. Heat it all up in a saucepan with the pectin, bring to a boil, add sugar and pinch of salt, boil a bit longer, can them in sterile jars then do the boiling water bath thing.
You'll need to check your fruit/pepper/liquid to sugar ratio, which varies based on what brand of pectin you use. Also, directions may vary too, based, again, on the pectin.
Anyhow, this is great on a bagel, on toast, as a glaze on chicken or ribs, to eat with a spoon...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, yum. I love a little heat and that recipe sounds delish. ^_^

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

Have to save that recipe, thanks for sharing !!!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

ty joy I Sure hope to try that one off to town back later

Y'all are all welcome. This is the jam that I sent to Iraq by the gallons when my son was stationed over there and they never got tired of it! It and my Blueberry Napalm are quite popular.

Joy

hayward, CA

sorry buddy but finally your box is getting mailed today:)

lol joy giggling at bluberry napalm

I'm mailing mine today too. sorry was so late.

Athens, PA

My package for my buddy is going out in today's mail as well......

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

The mail man just picked up my package it is on it's way to......................................^_^

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Mailed mine this AM at the PO! Should be received by Wednesday! Sounds like a lot of Christmas boxes going out today!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Sure does. ^_^

Paw Paw, MI

My buddy's package went out today as well. Santa is on the way! :)

Athens, PA

Ho! Ho! Ho! Hey buddy, Santa and his sleigh are on their way!

Merry Christmas!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Wow, thanks Elves for being on the ball. Char, you're not late at all, dearie. Mail out is anytime this week. If anyone can't mail by Saturday, please let me know.

I mailed mine this evening. Ho! Ho! ho!!!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Mine goes out Wed, when I go to town.

Jingle bells, jingle bells...

Hey Liz, did you find the cards for your sugar and salt?

Joy

Thanks for the recipe, Joy. Haven't had an opportunity to try your Pineapple Habarnero jam but can attest your Blueberry Napalm is the bomb! I know you probably get tired of me saying this, but it's absolutely delish slathered on pork.

Today I received a truly wonderful box of homebaked goodness from Cris316, not to mention the beautiful flag and set of wind chimes that have such a lovely sounding range. I'll be back to post photos, but can't promise there will be many of the Chocolate thumbprints cookies left, and I'm saving a Pecan bar or two to go with coffee in the morning.

Just so you all know, in case you haven't already figured it out, Cris joined shortly after names were assigned and I'd never turn anyone away who wants to join us, especially at Christmas. So she and I are exchanging directly.

I also have a Secret Santa LK assigned to send to me, have no idea who she is and the suspense is killing me...lol. I'm also an Elf to another one of you!

Patience my dear!

hayward, CA

joy, lol yes finally found them they were stuck on the paper
btw soup was divine!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Pressies are wrapped and going out on the sleigh tomorrow, heading to the North Pole first. Hopefully none of the reindeer eat any thing that's in it.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hi gals!!!! Sorry I have been MIA for a while, but wanted to let you know I am still around and still "in". ^_^ if you haven't kicked me out!

Crit, so glad to see you posting! Everything OK?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.