Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Agastaches and Salvias: Salvia chamaedryoides and frost (mexican blue sage)

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8916003

i lost all of these i planted to our first frost of the year. will they come back in the spring ? plant files say hardy to zone 7 i thought that meant they were okay in the cold. now i dont know how to pick salvias for my zone (9a)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8916385

kacee -- I'm certainly no expert, but i'd think you are safe growing a plant that is tolerant to zone7. I've gotten lucky with some zone6 plants where I am at [zone5]

one thing i read on this Salvia is it does not like a lot of water... that too much could kill it off.
K_Carter
Elk, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8916395

Ours has gone through 20 degree nights without problem. Winter wet has been the real issue for us.
I, too, believe it to be Zone 7 hardy with mulching. You'll see it in the Spring!
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

December 4, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8916441

A lot of these sages, including the newer ones that have small tubers like S. lineata, S. stolonifera, S. clinopodioides would benefit from the drainage provided by incorporating pellets and chips of expanded slate products. This would also be true for xeric sages like the S. greggii, S. lycioides, and other species of section Flocculosae

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8917104

if i cut off all the melted parts and mulch it really well there is hope it will come back in the spring? that would be wonderful..
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

December 5, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8917210

Just be sure the melted parts extend to the tubers. Kathe Navarez thought she had lost hers, but it came back up from the small tubers the next spring, then went crazy! After bloom stops in the autumn, the foliage feeds the tubers, as I have been observing with the smaller pots when I inspect the roots every 7 - 10 days. Stolonifera does the same thing, and clinopodioides, patens, and others should be similar.. If you must repot, use a very fast mix, with lots of pelletized expanded shale, or even perlite. They don't need much moisture, but do need air. Don't let the pots freeze solid, though.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America