Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Amaryllis or Hippeastrum - Pleasure in a Box: Super hardy bulbs

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis or Hippeastrum - Pleasure in a Box
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis or Hippeastrum - Pleasure in a BoxReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LJWalker
Lancaster, PA

December 5, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8917639

I am glad to get directions for saving my bulbs for next year. I bought three bulbs this year - a pink, white and red. One of the bulbs had been turned on its side in the box, so that the top leaves had been bent over. Even its roots looked shriveled and gray. Well, Whitey is already blooming, a second plant is actually shotting up two flower buds. And more poor sad little friend is growing. Its bud is browned on the tip, so I'm not expecting flowers, but this gal is going to do better next year. I hope!
Oh - and I'm planning to locate some cheap pots to set the ugle ones in.
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

December 7, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8920441

I've never tried to save one from Christmas bloom (never had one then) but I have several that I bought in springtime at a local nursery sale. They grow and bloom in summer; I put them in the dim and cool basement every fall, where they sit in their pots without any water at all until late winter/early spring when they will sprout and grow slowly until it is warm enough to go outside again. Then they bloom again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis or Hippeastrum - Pleasure in a Box Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice to know I'm not the only one grampapa 17 Feb 11, 2010 5:24 AM
Thank you MitchF 11 Dec 5, 2011 8:36 AM
One a year gardenpom 2 Dec 9, 2009 12:31 AM
Saved the bulbils thatswho 0 Dec 5, 2011 7:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America