Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: CLOSED: Longing for Spring - Page 1

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Somewhere over the rainbow Summer faded into Fall and now Winter is almost upon us. If you're like me, you're already longing for Spring when we have another opportunity to swap and trade plants and seeds and bulbs again.

Pull up your favorite chair over the Winter and join us to chat about anything on your mind. It's going to be another year without a greenhouse here, but a girl can still dream. What's everybody up to and what's on your wish list, either for Christmas, or plants and seeds and bulbs you'd like to try in the coming year?

Everyone is welcome to join us! The more the merrier.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

that is a beautiful rainbow shot, Fruity...
I LOVE the shot of the orchid cactus in the prevous post on prev thread, now I can look forward to all my huge weird loking orchid catus to actually reward me someday..

this is a trade community tub.. until I can get a few minutes ( hours or days) to get these potted up..

Thumbnail by joeswife

this macho fern just keeps growing and loves it's new spot this year down in the basement garden.. the first year wintered over it lost all it's leaves, then last year it had a lot more light and did well enough to divide and share, and this year it is even bigger,, it would not survive our winter outside, it came from padre islands,.

Thumbnail by joeswife
San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm busy digging out a new flower bed and expanding another one. After the hot summer I'm enjoying being able to dig without the chance of heat stroke.
I'm collecting jugs for my first attempt at winter sowing. My granddaughter is almost three and loves gardening already. I think winter sowing will be enjoyable and a good learning start for her.
We are still having warm days here with colder nights. They're predicting a lot of rain this winter. I hoping for just the right amount and not the crazy stuff we get sometimes. Here it's either drought or flood.
My wish for Christmas is to find the corkscrew vine seeds I want. That and some strong man to help me dig the beds. But then again, I'ld have to feed him so I'll just keep digging. LOL.
Happy Holidays to everyone. DGer's are the greatest people. May visions of blooms dance through your heads.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Lovely looking community tub Debra :) I have a large highwall pot saucer filled with succulent cuttings I call the 'nursery'. They are all rooting and I have itty bitty baby Echeverias growing.

How many orchid cacti do you have? My bunch got wittled down due to a 'plague' so I'm planning on buying some cuttings and once I ID the red one I'll buy my own plant of it.

oh gosh Ang, I have so many, I just sent a bunch to another DG'r.. I haven't seen any of them bloom, but I know I have all colors since I have gotten them from so many generous DG'rs..

This message was edited Dec 6, 2011 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

i want to try my hand at this type of Garden Art someday..

Thumbnail by joeswife

That looks a bit like that Oxy something or other. I had one but unfortunately not anymore lol.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the thread, Froot. :)

IT is funny I do see many of the same "faces" in other forums, but it's nice to come home to this one right here.

I was watering the very first plant I received in trade this spring - in the spring houseplant swap - from Jax - where is THAT woman?! The tiny fern she sent me is doing SO well, I can hardly believe how strong and firm the fronds are coming out from the center of that thing, but I guess the roots have finally taken off.

One of my tropical hibiscus, the red one, continues to bloom inside. I have 5 giant blooms now with over a dozen buds on it to go. I bought the plant off a clearance rack last season - another one of those where I took the blooms off so no one would buy it till I came back for it. (there's my SECRET!!!). HA! In any event, I don't hardly even like red flowers, but this red is sooooo pretty, I just had to have it. It had almost no roots on it, but again with the roots - I think they have finally found their way.

Had a migraine today which held me back from a number of plant related tasks I'd hoped to do like pot that giant orchid and deadhead my gaillardia/blanket flowers out front which continue to bloom here thru frost and famine. (huh?).

Yesterday, I had to chastise myself and could not do anything plant related until I'd sent out a resume for a job I'd been trying to get out all weekend. Seems my favorite thing to do to avoid everything else is play with plants.

I'm next to receive Susie's seed robin in the east, so I'll be looking for that tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!! If it comes, don't expect to hear from me for days.

Love you all!!! And to all a good night. ;)

A.

p.s. hum. Christmas wish? I think I should put "job with benefits" way up there at the top.

Christmas wishlist thus far - orchid cactus, storage shelves, hoyas and an ebay card heh. Not sure which I'm buying myself.

Athens, PA

OMG Amanda -

You are too funny!

Blackshear, GA

Good Morning everyone,
Just checking in....we are almost halfway moved in to the new house. Hope to move the beds Thursday or Friday and then we can start sleeping out there. Irrigation is halfway down and the grass is supposed to arrive Friday. Fruity, I have got the GH for you and a couple of others that mentioned they wanted one. I will try to post a picture later. It was fairly simple to assemble and its a 10x20. Pretty good price too and it can be moved easily.

Of course, what I want for christmas is a BIG GH, but I know I wont get that, so I just want my family to be safe and healthy. Baby boy comes home from college today for the break. It will be so nice having him home for awhile.

I have bought several amaryllis from Lowes and they are growing nicely. This year they actually had a solid white one "Christmas something, so I bought 3 or 4 of those. A couple of them have bloomed and are quite small in the flower, so that's a little disappointing.

Everyone have a wonderful day!!

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

For years my hubby bought my Mother (also a gardener) an Amaryllis for Christmas. She had a gorgeous array. She put them in the yard when spring came, planting them deeper than if they were in the pot. Even though she is gone now, the Amaryllis still bloom. I should say that these big hybrid types do not stand up to the weather as well as the smaller types that many people around here have in their yards. But if a storm threatens, you can always cut them for the house.
This year my daughter's boyfriend gave me one ( I am sure she suggested it) but what a lovely surprise. I have it growing and plan to take a picture of it every few days till it blooms.
GAgirl1066, it will be interesting to see if good nutrition and care will increase the size of the blooms through the years or if this is a function of genetics. Personally, I think the ones with smaller flowers are better, as they do not tend to fall over as bad due to weighing less.
Monday I was at Southern homes in Montgomery and they had a smaller flowered pink Amaryllis that I lusted after. But I thought $16/bulb was outta this world for a price. So I let them keep it. They tend to the pricey side anyhow, but they sometimes have unusual plants that are worth the price just because they are unusual.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

We have a place called planters seeds, and they have the biggest Amaryllis, starting at about 20.00. I wait until they go on sale after Christmas and try to get several different ones.

Does anyone know what would happen to daffodl bulbs if they freeze? They are not in the ground. We are suppose to get in the teens.

Athens, PA

Some of my amaryllis are just starting to die back after months of not watering. Don't know if they are reverting back to their own flowering schedule or what the deal is. It just seemed to take forever for them to die back this year. I only have one that is putting out any green - unless I buy some bulbs, I don't think I will be seeing any amaryllis flowers this year. Truthfully, with the strange schedule DH and I had this past summer, I am not surprised as I could not follow any type of routine for these beauties. Perhaps next Summer.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

No Amanda not WWIII I didn't mention it for a day and a half as I was nursing my hurt back. When a day and a half passed I thought what the hay it is only plants. The lantana seeds are in berries and tough to really clean and the Summer Poinsettia will be back next year. I did calmly ask him why he mowed them down and he said he thought we talked about it and he apologized. He added that he doesn't want me falling anymore and breaking a hip. I said No Problem. People are way more important that anything on earth. My Group was afraid I was stuffing inside and I said do I really sound like I am upset and my therapist said no. Sometimes I just need to blow off steam and I am safe here to do it and then it is over. :)

I went and spent last night with my friend Chris who has cancer. Her back has been hurting and they did a CT Scan and told her today the cancer is progressing. They will start a different Chemo next week if her blood work is ok. This last one was stronger and 4 weeks of it and it took a huge tole on her. I can't remember if I said but she was diagnosed 13 months ago with stage 4 liver cancer. I will be spending more time with her as time goes by. Her DS's work 7-12 hr days and I know after hearing this today it will be rough. Someone took her today to see her sister who had the massive stroke almost 2 weeks ago. They have had alot of trauma lately. In the last 2 months 2 ladies I have been going to the center and 4 groups a day.with for 2 yrs passed away. Miss Norma was 82 and had COPD. Miss Betty they think fell and and was between the bed and the night stand and they said it looked like she struggled and possibly broke her neck. I wish I would have never ask if she looked peaceful when they found her I thought in her bed. I will becareful from now on what I ask for fear I don't want to really know. She was only 68. It has been rough couple months and now Chris. She has lost 50 lbs and wears a little girls 16-18. She loves plants also. It is going to be rough but I feel it has been my calling to go spend the night and some weekends with her. Atleast I know I am making her smile and she really looks forward to the next time I am going over to spend the night. Lucky the van from the center I can ride to and from her house on the days I go.

Ok I have talked you my dear sweet friends ears off. I have the sprinkler on my plants tonight so they won't freeze. I hope the guys get my hoop house covered this weekend. My plants got nipped while I was at Chris' last night.

Thanks for a safe place I can come and feel comfortable. (((((HUGS)))))

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

AH! Sorry I've been missing for a month! My last finals are tomorrow for the fall semester. Looks like I'm getting my first 'not A' this time around, so my 4.0 is now a thing of the past. Boo!

So what all have I missed?

Oh Sandy, Bless your heart. You are a wonderful friend. Prayers to Chris and her sister.

carolyn, those blooms are gorgeous. I have onl had one bloom ever out of about 6 bulbs and it was "moonlight" from fruity.

Sandy, what an Angel you are to be so loving and kind to your dear friend Chris. I know it is hard to watch people you love go thru pain and suffering, but the smiles you bring to their faces should tell you how loved you are. Prayers for you dear Sandy and for all your loved ones going thru hard times.

I havn't forgotten you about sending plants and seeds, you are first on list this spring..
Seed bags will be sent out around christmas to those who have expressed interest. Poor Joe is so sick, I am staying up tonight to watch over him, I am not used to him being so sick.. he has the flu I think, and I am worried it will afect his heart thing he as going on, but I am positive God will heal him in time for the procedure date.

thought I would show a picture of the basement Garden south end , it sorta seems like my own indoor green house.. I have four rooms of gardens..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the picture, Debra. :)

Sandy - you're doing great!!! They are "just plants," but we know better. ;)
Hugs to you and your friend Chris both. We have to find joy in our simple things.

Carey - sorry about your 4.0. I am not in classes this semester or next because of my hand. I expect to go back in the fall and graduate spring 2013 if I can get my 'chit together and write the dang thesis. Bleck.

I'm hungry now after pacing around the neighborhood with a flashlight looking for my stupid cat. The good news is that I found him. The bad news is that I found him. Jerk.

O well. Hope to get to bed soon. I really screwed up my sleep schedule last night. The sky is crisp and clear. Looks like maybe some sun tomorrow after a day of heavy rain. Yay!

Nighty night.

A.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love to have a greenhouse or a sunroom/plant room!!! But I think that will be on my forever wish list...lol.

I have bad arthritis in my shoulders/neck and winter makes me hurt pretty bad. I'm already telling ppl think spring...lol, they look at me like I'm a nut!!

I bought a fig tree from edible landscaping last spring and it has really done great. I have it sitting in the kitchen now but it's not quite so happy, some of the leaves are yellowing a bit. After the holidays I will have room to re-organize my room I have my seed starting festivities in and am thinking of moving the fig in there possibly with it's own light to see if it is happier.

I brought in a hibiscus twig in a pot , a tiny snowball bush I had tried to start , and my rosemary plant. The rosemary is a couple years old and I was surprised to see it flowered tiny purple blooms about 10 days ago. Never had it flower before.

Longing for spring....

Julie =0)

Leesburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Found you all. Crazy day today. They contractors will be here to start on the renovations. I think I'm ready, but 5 minutes after they get here I'll know I'm not as ready as I thought!

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

I got my greenhouse this year, but no heat until 12/22 so the dining room and garage are jammed. Here's the gh
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/581823680FqqiJe
For anyone who is thinking about getting one here is what it cost me.
It's a Harbor Freight 10 x 12. The gh was 500 ( I got a coupon for 300 off on ebay for 1.65) the deck to put it on was 500 and having the gas installed with 2 full tanks is 500. We got one of those 20000 btu blue flame heaters from the big box store for 179, and I'm going to get a solar cover for 100. It's a little bit of an investment but it was well worth it!
I'm assembling my want list as I surf. I grabbed as much stuff as i could, for swapping, as it went on sale in the fall. I want to make it to the spring swap next year.
Here's a little something for the cat lovers..... Merry Christmas!

Thumbnail by roxxanne
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Carolyn, I think your Amaryllis will probably be Ok but may not bloom till spring (Mar/April). I experience the same thing. The foliage die back is normal, the bulbs are just resting and will sprout back when they are ready to wake.I have read that some people just keep their foliage growing all year but my plants do not do that. There is no way to keep them from dying back that I ever found, and I have grown them in pots for 25 years. two/three years ago I had gotten so many, with bulb reproduction and growing some from seed that I gave up and put most (not all) in the ground. They do not bloom as well (maybe I should improve the soil) but they were taking up so much room I had to do something.
If you have the space and inclination it is fun to let some seed develop and plant the seed. I got some beautiful dark red that way. It takes probably about 3 years to get the first flower from a seed.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow Roxxanne - you are the envy of your peers (sans the invoices)!!! :D

Have a great day everyone - the sun is out today and I'm feeling a moment of optimism. Better step away from the machine before I loose that. ;)

Loveya.
A.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

The gh is wonderful. I can't imagine being at a point that I would need a gh but I have a feeling the time will come. I spent a large part of the night on ebay buying seeds. I'm addicted, I need help. I'm not sure this is the place to get help to stop buying seeds. LOL. Of coarse I would have to be willing to be helped and that's not going to happen. Guess I better start saving for the gh..............

Athens, PA

I want a GH too. Next house - DH and I are planning on a nice heated one. I think it would be nice to turn it into those old fashioned conservatory like rooms, but I know DH would never go for a parrot!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, from experience, parrots are harder to keep than plants - but way more entertaining!!! :D

Oh yes, parrots are quite entertaining unless they see you as bottom of the pecking order. I have a scar from one of my mom's birdies.

I am watching my kitties play with their birthday/christmas gifts. They are catnip toys made of recycled minks and fur coats. My boy kitty Ke (birthday was the 5th) loves these things and has been playing up a storm. I call him my lazy boy because he never seems to want to play, at least not a lot.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

roxanne, I have been eye balling those greenhouses for sometime. Thing I am afraid of are winds, we live on top of a hill with no wind breaks anywhere. Having said that I have read some great things on the greenhouse forum on DG about how they got around it. Please keep us informed on what you think about it. My first and only true greenhouse was a one placed on a south brickwall of the house and it was wonderful. It had a brick floor and the sun would be absorbed on the bricks and then help keep the greenhouse warm at night. I only ever used a small kerosine heater in there all winter. We would have 3 inches of snow and it would be 80 in the greenhouse. Would make me feel so good, course in the summer it was 140 I think in there, but who cared I was outside all the time then.

Oh Carey, it is disappointing once you have carried straight A's, but you have done great! That is so much hard work.

Suppose to warm up here this weekend, so hopefully get the rest of the shopping done.

WOW Rox! That is a fantastic setup! Guess I'd better start my own wish list. Plenty of room in the backyard for one of those.

Thanks for the school thoughts. I'm bummed about the class, but it was my choice to take the subject. I could've just taken regular old speech, but noooo, I had to choose the harder subject matter. It really was a useful subject and I enjoyed the class, except I wish the instructor would have been able to teach better.

I'm keeping busy in the cold. It's the only way to stay warm lately!

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Hap, we were worried about the winds too. Each panel is sealed in with silicone sealer and the whole thing is attached to the flooring which is on 6 x 6s that are buried 30in. I don't think that suckers goin anywhere. Brick floor, that would really help with heat retention. Maybe I could do ceramic or terra cotta on the floor. I'll have to keep my eye out on craigslist.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

I would not trade anything for my greenhouse, and I can say that it can never be big enough. If you are going to get one and have decided on the size, get one a little bigger. You will not be sorry. (except maybe when the fuel bill arrives!)

I cut myself a Christmas tree (eastern red cedar) from down by the railroad tracks and got it set up on the back porch last night. This is the second year I have done this, and I find it so satisfying. I can see if from my computer and from the dining table. It is prettiest at night . This way I can be content whether or not the family ever gets the family tree up.

Do the greenhouses come with locks on the door or can you have one put on? If we actually moved from here Dad might be interested in getting one but our fine city has a lot of people who steal plants.

Athens, PA

Oh, Ang. Good thought.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Ang I would think you could put a lock on it. If not you could put on an alarm and camera. Here in Houston some women where caught on camera stealing Christmas decorations from a yard and put them up just a block away. This world has gone totally nuts.

Athens, PA

Quote from ilovejesus99 :
This world has gone totally nuts.

Unfortunately, I think that is very true. I wonder where it will all be in the next 10 or 20 years.

DH said he is concerned that when I do finally retire, that will turn into a hermit. I am not so sure that would be a bad thing!

We have a resident where I live who is stealing plant stuff - soil, plants, pots, etc. I had a green tub with pots and tools on the porch. When I went to empty the tub to clean it out I discovered ALL my garden tools are gone. I also noticed some of the pots are gone too. I have to replace them in spring and I'll keep them indoors.

I'm positive it's a resident because plants came up missing from the locked pool area.

I fixed up my houseplant corner yesterday. Still a work in progress.

Thumbnail by tikipod

Also some of my hoyas are hanging on the stake I used for my Dragonfruit. I placed a Dischidia up there after I took the photo. I want to buy another set of shelving and move that black shelf over in another location.

Thumbnail by tikipod
Athens, PA

Ang

Very nice set up.

It is unfortunate about your neighbor. There is something wrong with that whole line of thinking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.