Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gladiolus : Surprise! Glad corms growing in houseplant-now what???

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 4, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8920016

So, I will admit that I am a bit of a sloppy gardener at times and my experiences have taught me a lot over the years but this was a shocker. Late this summer, a critter of some sort ransacked a bunch of fall bulbs and Gladiolus corms that I was going to attempt to plant in my garden. I had a clearance, half dead spider plant that I purchased from a local big box store and was attempting to nurse back to life (can't pass up a .99 plant!). I had the spider plant tucked under my porch for most of the summer. When I found the corms, I vaguely remember tossing a few into the spider plant pot so that I could clean up the porch. I must have forgotten about them. These corms were much smaller than the rest too, I wonder if they came from another person's garden, lol, and the squirrels were trying to hide them.

I have some houseplants that aren't displayed- just sitting under an overhead flourescent light in my basement storage- sort of an experiment. This morning I noticed something out of place as I went to water- gladiolus sprouting on top of the soil of the spider plant! The plant is in a 10in pot and the spikes are thin, but are 20" high already.

I would love to try them indoors, does anyone have experience growing them as an indoor flower? I was going to remove the two small corms and place them in their own10in pot in full, South/SW sun. Any ideas? Could this be successful? Due to the rapid growth, lack of sufficient light and thin leaves, they're probably nutrient starved. I then wonder how to treat them- I expect that they'll need a dormancy period, but since it's a bit backward for our area, they'd need a break about the time that the rest of the summer bloomers are getting ready for the show. Hmmm...Oh, and have a good laugh at my pics please!

Thumbnail by GeminisGreen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

December 7, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8920020

Yep...

Thumbnail by GeminisGreen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

December 7, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8920030

Well, I'll be darned. How neat And the spider plant looks like it is recovered, nice and healthy green. I have no idea how glads would do indoors. And you're right, they are growing at the wrong time of year. I guess I would just tend them and see what sort of cycle they adopt. Maybe they would right themselves. I am sure there are places that are warm enough that they stay outside all year. So they must have a 'feel' for when to grow and when to be dormant. I know my dahlias send sprouts in about late February, and the glad corms quite often have little pips growing in March or so, even thought kept in a bag in the dark.

Good luck.
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

December 22, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8939731

The second picture has 2 bulbs. The one on the left has 2 leaves a red one on the bottom and a green one on the top. Plant them deep enough to cover the red leaf. Be careful to get as much of the roots as possible. Yes they will need some ferts. Place them in the sunniest window.

I don't think that you will be able to get them to bloom again in the summer and unless you wanted to do this again next year the bulbs may not last till the next summer, but it will be fun this year. 60 days from now...
GeminisGreen
Central Coast, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9332110

thanks everyone! Sadly, the bulbs did not do well indoors. I did save them though and planted them in the spring. I've moved since, so I have no idea if they bloomed or not. It was a pretty funny thing that happened though :-) I'm much more careful now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America