Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Front Load Washers - FYI

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

We just had a problem with our Whirlpool Duet washer and I thought I'd pass on this info to everyone. It may not apply to all front loaders, but the repair guy was most helpful.
First, our problem was a faulty water pump sensor. We were getting an 'F35' error, which was not in the regular book. E-mailed Whirlpool and they wanted $35 to tell us what the error code meant...No thank you, I will just call the repair guy since there IS a problem. Come to find out, when he removed the bottom panel (3-4 screws at the bottom of this panel), there is a sheet inside that tells you what all those error codes mean. Who knew? This sheet should be left inside so the repair person can have access to it, but if you want to do-it-yourself, look there first!!

Second thing is my repair guy says....even with the HE detergents, only use 1-2 Tablespoons of detergents per load. The amount the detergent manufacturer 'recommends' on their little marks is way too much and will cause most machines to over-suds. I recently switched detergents, and at first I was measuring until I got the hang of how much I was putting in, and then I was just adding a little here and there based on the size of my load. Well, I'll surely be careful from now on to not add too much. He also said to use the extra rinse cycle periodically. Or just run a rinse and drain cycle to ensure all the suds are out.

Third thing...he called it a 'button trap', but ours has a trap (also inside the bottom panel), that catches debris. We had several toothpicks and some lint in ours, and he said he has seen some really badly clogged traps. My DH is really bad about not taking things out of his pockets so I hope he learned his lesson, but I doubt it. I don't go thru pockets either before I start it up the washer but I'll try to be more diligent. Repair guy says 'do it'.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Gilbert, AZ

I recommend front load washer adds efficiency and speed to your household task. This is perfect for most stay-at-home parents.

Samsung Front Load Washer

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Gwen, here at Dave's Garden we don't appreciate such advertising.

OutsidePlaying, you could not be more right-on. You got very good advice. Sometimes those things (like toothpicks, golf tees, etc.) go through the button trap and lodge in the pump. Pumps are costly, hint, hint. It's good to check pockets.

If you had asked your service/repair person, he would have probably told you something similar about automatic dishwashers: 1-2 tablespoons of powder (or liquid) at most. Don't fill that cup.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Cathy, right on about the dishwashers too. Now, what to do with those tabs they are selling...Hmmmmm!!!

Anyway, it pays in the long run to check out your individual machine for those little unknown things. Even if you aren't too handy I guess you can look for those 'hidden' compartments that might save you a service call.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.