Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Needle Arts: Crochet beanie hat

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 7, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8920102

I am looking for a crochet pattern for a hat that goes in a continuous round with out breaking off or joining just increasing and then just the pattern. I used to make them for all my friends but I can't remember the pattern or increase. I want a SC for the warmth they provide and basic so that men as well as women can wear them. Help.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #8965787

I would also like to have this pattern...can anyone come to the rescue.
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #8965869

Okay, I'll make an attempt to describe my pattern:

First, I don't chain for the center hole - I do a slip not so the hole closes tighter - if you haven't done that, or can't figure it out, you can probably chain 4, join and then crochet into the center of the circle.

Using worsted weight with an H hook:

Form circle as described above. DC 12 into center of circle, join.

Round 2: Chain 2 (or three depending on what you need to get the height for a DC). Do not turn (ever in this pattern) DC in same stitch as chain, 2DC in each stitch all the way around (24 DC).

Row 3: Chain 2. 2DC in next stitch. Single DC in next stitch. Repeat around. Join with slip stitch to top of first Chain DC.

Row 4: Chain 2. DC in next stitch. 2DC in next stitch, single DC in next two stitches. Repeat around. Join with slip stitch.

Row 5: Chain 2. DC in next two stitches. 2 DC in next stitch, sincle DC in next three stitches. Repeat around. Join with slip stitch.

Row 6: Chain 2. DC in next three stitches. 2DC in next stitch, single DC in next four stitches. Repeat around. Join with slip stitch.

Basically, keep increasing the one DC in between the 2DC until the crown is the size you want it. I usually do six total rounds for the crown.

Round 7: single crochet all the way around. Sometimes I'll just do back post so I get a cool edge, but you can do both posts for a flatter look. Join with slip stitch.

Round 8: DC in each stitch all the way around. Join with slip stitch.

Repeat round 8 (12) times for adult sized hat.

For the final edge, I use a crab stitch (single crochet backwards around) because it looks nice, but you can also do a single crochet around the edge. Join with slip stitch.

If you did a slip knot circle to start, pull it tight and weave in the end. Otherwise, just weave in your two ends and you're done!

I'm not a pattern developer, so I apologize if what I said doesn't make sense. Ask if you have questions.
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #8965882

Just realized you were looking for a SC pattern. Sorry - mine's double crochet. I think SC are too stiff! :)
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #8965900

Here are a few single crochet patterns:

http://firebrunette.wordpress.com/2007/09/26/single-crochet-beanie-pattern/#

http://barney.gonzaga.edu/~aburton/crochat.html
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #8965974

SC or DC is okay, Thanks I will give that a try.
mevnmart
Spiro, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #8966116

It's funny - I just did that exact pattern yesterday, with fabu results, and today, I switched to a different color, and the yarn must be thicker, because the crown came out all ripple-y. Going to drop down to a G hook to see if that makes a difference.
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #8967066

Thanks for the patterns...I think I will try working up a couple for my grandchildren.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America