Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mosaics and Stained Glass: Charger Helmet WIP

Communities > Forums > Mosaics and Stained Glass
bookmark
Forum: Mosaics and Stained GlassReplies: 26, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 7, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8920797

This one will be grouted tomorrow... I hope my Grandson likes it...

Thumbnail by Gourd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 9, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8922522

Here it is grouted with Black unsanded grout and needs sealing today, then on to a frame.

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8924508

WOW you have done it again im sure he will love it
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 12, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8926153

Hi there,
Thank you, got the frame two days ago, sealed the grout and hopefully I'll get it framed this week. One more project before I can start on my backsplash... I am so anxious to finish all these projects that are in limbo. I still have two more large ones that will have to wait till next Spring.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8926985

what are you doing with your back splash
I have 2 to do & the shower in the master .. DH is wanting to know what im doing .. cant make up my mind ...lol
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 13, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8928229

The kitchen will have a Tuscany feel, (I hope), with different shaped wine bottles and different colors, grapes, leaves and some goblets ... what I did is printed out several types and sizes bottles, leaves, goblets on paper, then I laminated several of them. I am using those as my patterns and also to tape up around the backsplash areas to see how and where they will look good. Then, I'll put the cut glass bottles, etc. onto the backerboard. Once it is done, I'll leave the holes ready for the screws to go into the wall. I've got two areas in the kitchen that are long, and the area behind the stove.

So far, I've got several wine bottles (flat out of stained glass) cut, but, I want to make several blue in different shapes. I won't use them all, but want to have a good selection to choose from, what I am afraid of is over doing the bottles. I don't want it so busy that it is mind boggling and sometimes I tend to do that. I have to try to remember to KISS, keep it simple stupid... I've also cut some Chianti bottle shapes out, then cut the tops off and used them on other darker bottles, then the bottoms look like baskets. I'm getting very excited to get going on this, but I have to finish DH's motorcycle (chopper) first.

I don't have an idea yet what color the whole background will be, most likely an earthtone if it exists in glass, I may have to order it online to make sure I have enough for the whole thing. I don't want it to look scrappy either, so I'm still in the thinking mode.. if it makes any sense.

What concept are you doing in your Kitchen areas? It is hard to find something timeless and not too specific.. The other one I thought about and may still consider adding it anyway, is a basket with fruit in there somewhere, and the bottles as accents.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8929332

Wow you are way ahead of me can't wait to see it are you using recycled bottle glass?
Im really at a loss something rustic/country/woodys to go alone with the rest of the house I have so many things going on my mind is spinning all night wakeup and write things down in the dark ...lol

Chopper??? I must see this maybe steal :)
almost finished with the butterfly that i cut a year ago hahah for some reason I just couldn't get it started
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 14, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8929557

Here is a photo of the Chopper I'm working on, it is not the latest photo, but you can get the idea. It is BIG,
5 feet X 3 feet and will go into the garage when finished, after it is finished it will be trimmed/framed with more tile but it will be in place when that is done. I'm sure he is anxious for me to get going on it, but there are day's I don't feel like working..lol

The bottle shapes are cutouts of regular stained glass sheets. I have not used any bottles yet. I'm looking for some dishes to cut up like slices and then use some of those in the mosaic.

I'll take photos of the bottle cutouts tonight.. I have lots of leaves to cut out also, then the grapes.

You can make some bear type mosaics, using cut outs of bear claws, etc.. I think that might be forest type stuff though. The other thing I thought of was to use pots, pans, etc.. sticking to one theme is the thing to do. I don't know if you want small barns, or maybe just using different trees. I know I've cut out way too many bottle shapes now, but from all of those, I'll only pick the ones I really like to put into the backsplash, the rest will go to another project that will stay in the kitchen area. I'm planning to make another glass on glass panel to hang in the kitchen with all the left over cut out glass wine bottles, so that it will match the rest of the kitchen, it will be hung in the dining area which is really close to the kitchen, and can be seen from the rest of the areas.

I can't believe how long it is taking for me to get ideas and the guts to do it..lol I've cut out alot of cobalt blue shapes.

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8929703

OMG that is going to be so cool ..I didn't know y'all road motorcycles 5' x 3' im lucky to get this 8" x 10" finished ..
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 15, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8931043

These are some of the bottles and leaves I've cut out.. still need to cut out goblets, grapes and probably a lot more leaves. I think my favorites are the small chianti bottles, I've got some panels in mind for the leftover bottles.

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8931071

really sweet you have been busy .. I can tell your loving that new saw .. I may have to put one on my need list
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

December 15, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8931082

I'm so loving that saw. You need to get one!! The only reason I stop cutting is that my two Golden Retrievers need a break..lol, they stand there and stare at me ... here they are the spoiled brats.. they wait on those bean bags the whole time I am on the computer. DG is really slow today on uploading pics.. I have some closeups of all the bottles on my flickr if you get a chance or want to see them.

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8932480

how do they get sooo spoiled ...hahaha are are all the same way
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 8, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #8959256

They are very spoiled and old.. so I need to keep it up..lol

Here is a photo of the mosaic framed, and by the way, my grandson really liked it.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 8, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #8959260

Cheryl, here is one of my setups for the backsplash, the longer side under the stove has a basket with grapes, etc.. been fighting a vicious cold for a couple of weeks.. so I've been MIA..

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 8, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8959267

Here you can see the glass tiles being used for the background, I'm working on several projects at one time so I don't know how long it will take me to finish the rest of the kitchen, this is only the area behind the stove.. One step at a time...

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #8960413

WOW & WOW again this is going to look AWESOME!!!
question are the grapes going on the tiles or will they be in the tiles?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 10, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #8961528

the grapes and leaves will be in the tiles, I'll remove the glass tiles and leave the space for the grapes, bottles, etc. I've made the pattern on butcher paper and then I'll put a clear plastic over the pattern, on top of that, I'll put the fiberglass mesh, then I'll start gluing the tiles, etc. onto the mesh. Once it is done, I'll probably cut it into smaller sections because of the weight of the whole thing. I'm getting there slowly, maybe I can start gluing this week. I've got the paper pattern taped to the wall just to get used to it. The tan color of the glass tiles there is supposed to be a table..

I drew a few different patterns on the tile that is currently on there (I will break that off), finally I think this is what I'm going with. Don't know if you can see the drawing up on the wall there. I added several more leaves and more grapes onto that basket.

Thumbnail by Gourd

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #8962942

Very cool your moving right along.. I wish I could get my thoughts in action .. still so many things for DH to do before its my turn.
Question are you putting up the glass & glass tile over tile?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #8962956

Beautiful! I hope that you get over that darn cold soon. I had one last month that I am still fighting off...Nasty ol' winter colds :-( !
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 11, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #8963340

I'm knocking off all the old tile on there, it is 12 x 12 white ceramic tiles that they had used on the floor also. The whole house had that white tile, we removed all of it and this is all that is left. They didn't tile the backsplash behind the counters and sink so that is going to be easier to do. I'm putting up the glass myself when I finish.

Juney, yeah, this thing is dragging on, my voice is still hoarse but I feel much better.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #8963552

oh no .. the crud ... Hope you feel better soon :)

OK I thought it was kind of strange ...lol but you had drawn on it ..

doing all the tile here too another frst for me ... hope it stays on the wall hahaha!!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

January 11, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #8963808

Lol.. I have made so many drawings on the wall there, then use windex to wipe off the ones I don't like, it is so funny, my DH would wake up each morning to see the (Writing on the Walls, litterally..lol)

It gave me an opportunity to get used to the ideas I had in my head and to see what I thought I could stand for the next years of my life (on the wall). Like I said, I erased so many of the drawings. Even now, it is still just a little bit different after all the changes.

Two more projects were finished today, gotta give them a couple of days before grouting then I can go back to the Backsplash and the chopper up there. If I can get most of the bike done in the next two weeks, then I can hit the backsplash hard after that and get it done before Spring.

What are you thinking of doing (as far as concept wise) on your back splashes?

I'm going to also tile the sides of the floor cabinets (the sides you can see) but using only very simple designs on those, almost no design, the four corners will definitely have part of the frame glass tile used in the backsplash, I like that you can just wipe the glass and it really looks great all the time. The sides of the cabinets are white now, and they drive me nutso cleaning them all the time because the dogs lean against them and they leave soil on them.

Are you tiling the floor? did you remove old tile? etc.. or is it a new installation?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8963996

everything is knew ... I'M doing the cobble wood in 2 more areas (Laundry room & pantry) the rest of the house will be hardwood(maple) floor that was taken out of a school gym.

really not sure what I'm doing on the backslash yet just know it will be tile & glass ...lol first we will pour the counters (concrete & smashed glass)
The AC/heat guys come tomorrow & bring the geothermal unit they will be here 2 or 3 days. DH started putting up the backer board in the master bath today I think we are going with slate in the shower & tub
ok im tired now hahaha!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9095835

A where you at ...LOL hows that back splach looking ?
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 22, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9250166

I'm getting there..lol, I fell, bruised my talis bone and sprained my ankle back in Feb, and it still has not healed completely.. was on crutches for what seemed forever, walking boot, and then PT. I'm working on the Chopper now, the grass and mountains. I finished the road, the bike and the framing around the bike in glass.

This should have been finished a long time ago.

I've not completed my backsplash either but is is almost done, the basket with grapes is done and also the other side of the wall, but that will be changed a little depending on the new stove and microwave above. Slow going here.. now I have to wait till we buy the new appliances...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9250731

OUCH!!!! hope you healup soon !!!
My broken ankle still gives me fits & its been 1&1/2 years

good to hear from you :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America