Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: My very first seedling to flower.

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 15, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8922987

I have had lots of flowers from cutting grown brugs , but this is my very first of the seedlings to flower.
I am so pleased with it. I was surprised to find it being colored as I had read that most new brugs start out being white.
I was also thrilled to find it a double.
The seed was bought from Seedsprout back in 2008. The tree has grown to around 7 foot high now.
The breeding is...Ludgers Windsong x Mon Amour de Mareuil.
It is the only survivor of that lot of seed.
The color is a bit darker than the photos show.
I would like to know if there is anything similar as I would really like to grow this one on and eventually register it.
I know I am getting ahead, but it is really lovely.
I was hoping the 2nd skirt would drop. but not so far.
This photo is the first day of opening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8922991

Late afternoon on 2nd day ( 8 Dec)

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8922992

7.30 the next morning ( 9 Dec)

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8922995

View from underneath.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8922997

2nd bud opening ( evening 9 dec)
Sorry, only half the bud showing.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2011 9:10 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8922999

Photo from this morning (10 Dec )

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8923010

Another photo from this morning.
The first flower has 6 points and the other 5 points.
Being an amateur, I am excited so excuse the enthusiasm for my first baby.

Jean. .

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 9, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8923019

Loud cheers from the Aussie gardeners, as we are starting to see some doubles coming through ...Jean has really worked hard and deserves a big high five ... Congratulations Jean.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 9, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8923369

Jean, Congratulations!.

Many Brugs with multiple skirted flowers need a season or two to mature and stabilize before you can say that is their final form. ABADS, which went belly up a while ago, used to have some guide lines and suggestions on how to decide whether or not to register a Brug. I couldn't find a comparable list. Given that this is the seedling's first flush, you are a bit premature. Grow it for a few more seasons and trial it in other parts of Australia. See what the final form of the flowers is like in the next few years. How does it stand up to pests and diseases? How does it fare in the summer heat? How is the fragrance? Does the flower show good form and no deformities?

Although the suggestion that it be sufficiently different from other registered Brugs was listed among the suggestions, there are so many double pinks now a days that no one seems to have paid attention to it. There are many double pink Brugs that look alike or nearly alike. I know it's exciting to have a colored double skirted Brug, but remember that almost all of a hybridizers' seedlings end up in the compost pile. If he/she is lucky they may have a select few they hold over to the next growing season. If they are really lucky, they may have one or two worthy of registering. In a year or two of growing you seedling out and having it trialed, take a critical look at its pro and cons. Then make your decision. Meanwhile, you might contact the hybridizer. Some give up all rights when they sell the seed. Others retain the final say on whether a seedling can be registered.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 9, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8923398

Thanks for the advice bettydee.
I was just excited, but I do know it will probably be nothing different. I guess we all get that way with our first.
I have many more to bloom yet, so will most likely getting this excited over each one until they have all bloomed and I see nothing so great after all.

Great fun though and all the more so being here in Australia where we dont have so many as overseas. I just love seeing it on the sites as my first.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 10, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8923492

We do not have anything other than pictures to go by here in Australia.
Doubles are rare here.
Brenda Delph was the Hybidizer and she sold seeds without expecting to have a say in their future.We are excited for Jean.
The plant needs some testing and maturity, like all doubles,
We have only one or two double pinks here, so for us, this is exciting.
Thankyou for your encouragement and advice.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

December 10, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8923584

Congratulations! It is exciting I have grown quite a few and you never get tired of seeing what you get. Very pretty I would be really proud of this one thanks for sharing
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8923896

I've more or less given up raising seedlings. No matter what time of year I start the seed, the seedlings fall prey to hoards of grasshoppers who think I grow the seedlings just for them. It was so frustrating to see a seedling growing nice and healthy only to have it disappear over night. Living on a ranch surrounded by miles of pasture translates into millions of hungry grasshoppers who first appear in early March and stay until the first or second frost. There are at least 12 species of grasshoppers in our area.
TriFred
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8924261

Hi Jean,

Congratulations on your first blooming seedling. I think it has potential and as Veronica mentioned, the looks could change over the next couple of bloom cycles. Doubles tend to evolve and from my experience the second and third set of blooms will differ from the first set.

The old ABADS hybridizing guidelines referenced above has been updated and is available for everyone to view via the following link - http://ibrugs.com/Resources/iBrugsKnowledgeCenter/tabid/200/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/61/categoryId/3/Hybridizing-Guidelines.aspx

iBrugs also has a page of frequently asked questions related to cultivar registration here - http://ibrugs.com/CultivarRegistration/CultivarFAQ.aspx

Both should be a "must read" for anyone who hybridizes brugmansia or is considering registering a new brugmansia.

Please share future bloom photos with us so we can see how it evolves.

Fred
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 10, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8924400

Thank you Fred. I know I will have many more babies but the excitement of the first is unique and I just wanted to share.
jean.

crazy4brugs

crazy4brugs
Kansasville, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8926532

Congratulations on your seedling. You have put alot of hard work into it, so you deserve to be excited
about it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America