Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hoyas: Dischidia care

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 3, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8923068

Someone gave me a dischidia cutting recently. I believe it is a d. bengalesis but not 100% sure. I rooted it in orchid moss and it has a good amount of roots now and is putting out new growth. I cant find much info about the care of these plants anywhere and not sure what to do with it now. Any advice would be appreciated.
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 9, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8923291

I had 50/50 success with a couple of dischidias I've tried. They're epiphitic and said to rot eaily but I lost mine because of drying out too fast or too often. Now I have it in potting soil and well watered, seems to be working for me. I'd love to hear an expert advise too. Good luck!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

December 9, 2011
10:46 PM

Post #8923475

There's a bit of information here, though not a lot:

http://www.rare-hoyas.com/Catalog.htm

D. benghalensis is listed there but not with specific growing information.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 10, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8923572

I've got 9 different Dischidia's and for the most part they like conditions similar to hoya's. However just like Hoya's some like warmer/cooler temps, wetter/dryer conditions. I have them potted as well as mounted. Keep in mind anytime your growing mounted watering takes on a whole new dimension. Depending on the time of year, a mounted specimen may need to be thoroughly soaked by dunking in a bucket of water from one a week to 3 or more times a week in the hot summer. I ususally mist daily during the summer also. Potted plants should generally be allowed to get just dry before watering again, but don't allow to become "bone dry" ..with less frequent watering during the winter and more in summer. If grown inside that will affect watering also. Bright light is best but some actually like a bit of sun, the foliage will take on an attractive reddish hue and some require it to bloom.
I fertilize 1/4 to 1/2 strength every watering more in the summer.
Good luck with them, they are a very interesting fun group of plants.
Here's D.raflessiana mounted

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America