Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily bird pix #424

PERTH, Australia

Some remarkable photos on the previous thread. Congratulations to all those who got lifers. If anyone wants to go and check them out, here's the link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232219/

I have no recent shots of anything other than Ospreys, so have randomly plunged into the archives. To Start, a Pink and Grey Galah, common around here and very sociable. this one is a male, identifiable by its dark eye.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

A Purple Swamphen

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I meant it when I said I was digging into the archives. This is a shot I took about 35 years ago of a Purple Swamphen.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Norman, OK

Great shots, Margaret! That 35-year old shot still holds up.

A pretty little first-winter Harris's Sparrow. ID'd with the help of Resin. I've never seen one with so much color.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Recent rarity here - Desert Wheatear, from central Asia.

It had obviously never seen humans before, it flew up and started feeding on the beach less than a metre away from the crowd of birders - too close for most cameras to focus! This was taken with my little point'n'shoot.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Norman, OK

Handsome little bird. Glad you got to enjoy it up so close.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Margaret for the new thread. Love, love that Galah. Nice Wheatear Resin. Red, your Harris' Sparrow is one good looking one. I've a lifer with Resin's help. A Sharp-Shinned Hawk.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry the quality doesn't even compare to Margaret's 35 year's pic. But it's my latest lifer. I liked your swamphen too, Margaret.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Hey, Kim, congratulations on the lifer. Beautifully spread tail.

Lovely Sparrow, red.

That's a beautiful bird, Resin. What are its chances of survival?

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Altamira Oriole, a Mexican species found only in the very southern tip of Texas, in the USA. Photographed, at Salineo, Texas, on the north bank of the Rio Grand River.

I am currently vacationing on the Texas Gulf Coast / Lower Rio Grand Valley, and adding a lot of species to my life list. I have posted a few more pictures on my facebook page. If anyone would like to see more, the following link will take you to them.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.332396013442185.101309.100000153670275&type=3&saved#!/media/set/?set=a.332396013442185.101309.100000153670275&type=1

I do not have regular internet access.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
PERTH, Australia

Superb looking bird, Gary.

I went to the local lake this afternoon. There's still a fair amount of water in it due to our wetter than usual spring and a good amount of rain a week ago.

Pink-eared Ducklings.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Temporarily on their own whilst Mum chased off a Grey Teal.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Flapping its little wings.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Not a clear shot, but I love the way the ducklings are lined up.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Grey Teal (not the one which was being chased).

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Little Corellas clowning around in flight.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Eurasian Coot feeding its advanced chicks.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Mmmmmm, yummy weed.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

I don't know why, but bird tongues always make me laugh.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Stafford County, VA

Me too! Good morning Margaret! (I even a collection of pictures of birds with their tongues showing)

This message was edited Dec 10, 2011 7:55 AM

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
PERTH, Australia

Ha, I'm glad I'm not alone. Good evening Dave. What a beautiful image.

I won't monopolise the thread and will finish for now with a Purple Swamphen. This bird was such a good subject.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Quote from MargaretK :

That's a beautiful bird, Resin. What are its chances of survival?

Fairly good; it's been there a week now. There's plenty of sandflies in the heaps of seaweed washed up on the beach, so it is feeding well. But no doubt it'll move on before long.

Resin

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow, this thread rocks with wonderful pictures. I am enjoying all of them.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new start Margaret. Love the photos, even that oldie but goodie! Love the adorable ducklings. Love the tongue!

Red, your little sparrow is so pretty.

Resin, congrats on the rarity. You sure got a great photo of the bird. I hope it survives.

Lily, congrats on your new hawk. Mine is still here and I'm amazed the other birds don't seem worried about it anymore.

Red, love the oriole. That link was down but I'll try again later.

Dave, your bb is so pretty.

I've been having fun just watching the tiny Bushtits in my yard.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

The cold temps sure make them little furballs.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's a pair of Mourning Doves.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I almost got the tongue clear in this one-too bad the Bewick's Wren had to move slightly.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's another Bewick's Wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln
Stafford County, VA

One of my favorite "tongue" shots. She comes for meal worms every morning.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

ducbucin, glad you were able to send pictures of the Bushtits, I've never seen them.

It is very cold and foggy outside this morning. I was going to go to Wal Mart earlier but decided I had better wait and hope the sun breaks thru and disperses the fog. I am afraid the hwy. would be a little slippery from freezing fog. I fed the birds but that is about all I did outside. Still have to be pretty careful when walking, not using walker or cane.

Donna

I will try to send a picture of a few (probably30 or more of English sparrows sitting on top of wood fence.

Norman, OK

Lots of unusual and interesting birds with the downunder shots! A first for our pond, a Greater Scaup.

Norman, OK

A Great Blue Heron on the pond. I was driving by and missed a great action shot. He had just swallowed a large fish. Had some difficulty getting it down.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice shots everyone, Sharp Shinned Hawk revisit. My yard birds have vacated the open area in the backyard due to his recurrent visit (?). They have moved to the front yard feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Quote from Lily_love :
Nice shots everyone, Sharp Shinned Hawk revisit. My yard birds have vacated the open area in the backyard due to his recurrent visit (?). They have moved to the front yard feeder.

That one's a Red-shouldered Hawk!

Resin

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We had a Cooper's Hawk yesterday. With the cold weather I am seeing it pretty regular around the neighborhood.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2011 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

I had my most amazing trip ever to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge today. This was our first of many birds that begged us to take there photo. I believe it to be a red tailed hawk. Please let me know if you think different.

Thumbnail by dougNKC
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

The same bird says "that's enough photo's, time for me to leave".

Thumbnail by dougNKC
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

With a lot of the marsh being frozen there wasn't near as many ducks as normal at Squaw Creek today, but the 3 or 4 times we drove by this place we always seen this same little group hanging out together. I know most are mallards, but any ideas what the little black ones are?

Thumbnail by dougNKC
Gladstone, MO(Zone 5b)

And here's the A#1 reason I've been going to Squaw Creek for so many years. How about 10 bald eagles in one picture :)

Thumbnail by dougNKC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.