Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MrFoothills
Oswego, IL

December 9, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8923216

I know really nothing about wheels, but would like to purchase one. What should I look for in the budget of just 300-500 dollars?
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8923744

Hi Mr. FOothills,
Welcome to the group!
I bought my CLAY BOSS Wheel from CLAY KING in SC. They shipped it. I htink it was around $400. It is great! No problems. I am in Va but have been dealing with Clay King for years.. and have never been disappointed. They have a large variety of wheels for you to choose from. JUst Google http://www.clayking.com

Deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8923819

I've got a Clay Boss, too, and have loved it for 7+ years. You might also post a "want" on your local Craigslist and Freecycle sites, and be sure to check local ceramic shops and schools. If you're handy sometimes colleges will sell equipment that's not working right, and the repairs can be something very simple. Also check out online ceramic supply sites, as they often have bulletin boards with stuff for sale.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8924287

Yup... you can't beat a clay boss for the money. I have had mine for 4-5 years an dlove it... like Timex.. it takes a licking but keeps on ticking!
Deb

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9205774

I've always loved clay from HS years, and now that I'm older I very interested in looking to get a basic set up. I'm headed to the Library to pick up some books and start looking around for beginner classes and go from there, so I hope yall don't mind that I join this forum.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

Jan
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9205798

Welcome---and feel free to post questions, comments, triumphs---whatever!
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 15, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9205950

Great question about wheels. I'm about to try throwing again after not doing any for over thirty years, and very limited back then. I have mild tremors and since I got back into ceramics I thought they would preclude me from success with throwing. But recently I decided why not give it a try? What do I have to lose but a few hours, maybe it will work, and if so it's so much faster than hand building for so many projects.

So I'll be interested in any info anyone posts about wheels cause if it does work I'll probably be wanting to get my own.

Mr. Foothills don't forget to look on Craig's List. They often have wheels in my area.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9205978

Annies!!
Where have you been! THis forum has been awfully quiet lately!!!
I am basically a hand builder but have strated throwin again too. Took a bowl out of my kiln today!

Deb

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9206046

mommacat11 how is stafford these days, I lived there for 2.5 years back in the early 80's when there was only one gas station just at the exit from 95... I'm sure it looking nothing like that now. My son went to All God's Children day care. I communited in to the Pentagon from there... oh what early hours, but it was worth it to get away from the hussle bussle of DC.

I took a quick look on craigslist and oh my goodness, I could not believe all the kilns and wheels that were sale.

My main interest of what I would like to learn to make is soap dishes for my handmade soaps and pot feet. I also found a teaching store just down the road... who wouldn't have thought, I'm going in to check them out this week.

thanks for the info and links everyone.

Jan
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9207249

Jan, I extrude my pot feet AND my soap dishes.

Thumbnail by imapigeon   Thumbnail by imapigeon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9207675

Heyyy Jan!
Oh my goodness.. STafford has REALLY changed! We have lived everywhere as my husband was in the USMC. We still have ahouse in Tampa. We moved back here in 96 when we got back from Okinawa. We had this house built in 1997 and my husband retired from the USMC in 98. We have several acres and we feed pretty much anything that has fur and feathers. :-)

I have a small kiln that I love. It's great.. If you don't have large pieces it might be what you need. I have an OLYMPIC TRAVELER. It runs on HOUSE current. We keep it in my husband's shop but runs on 120 house current. It also is on wheels. I love it.. and also my CLAY BOSS WHeel!
Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 16, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9207754

Ima... those pot feet look really cool looking, how are they used? I'm imagining under a flower pot but is that wrong?

Jan, do you make bar soaps? I would probably extrude or hand build a bar soap dish, but I might use my wheel to make a liquid soap dispenser. Of course, clay is so versatile, I guess you could make it any way :-)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9208173

Ok yall, I'm having to learn what you mean by extrude in relationship to clay, I'm thinking injecting like slip into a form????

Deb, I'm a former WM (as your husband what that stands for should you not know, but I'm thinking you will, LOL). Thank you husband for his service to our country, Semper Fi, When my son was in the USMC he said they moved HQ MC to Quantico, my son is now over in Afghanistan, 1st two tours where in Iraq. I can't believe they left Arlington Hall... So you like a small kiln, for what I'm really interested in learning to do, I was thinking a small one as well. Pot feet and soap dishes.

ItsMeChrissy, yes I make my own soaps and lotions, all bath products. I used to have a herd of Nigerian dwarf dairy goats that I started out with their milk for making cheddar cheese, then went to soap, omgoodness goats milk soap is to die for...LOL and everything else evolved from that... No longer have the goats due to having to chase jobs in other states.

The pot feet are because I can't find any that are priced for me to be able to afford and I need a zillon of them...LOL

Jan
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9208257

Jan that's how I got started with pottery in 1972---I needed a pot for my Boston fern and couldn't find one I liked that I could afford. A friend of mine makes goat's milk and honey soap and yes, it is to die for! So easy on my hands!

Extruding is like using a giant cookie gun. Put the clay in with a shaped plate, squish out long strands of the shape.
http://scottcreekpottery.com/

Chrissy, yes the pot feet go under planters. They keep the pots off my Saltillo tile patio, give oxygen to the roots thru the drain hole, and eliminate both the dreaded "pot ring" (from nothing under the pot) and the dreaded "skanky water snail and slug attraction zone" (from drain dishes). They're the best solution I've found, and my container plants grow better when they're up on them!!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9208258

imapigeon

do you make pot feet?

Chrissy sorry I hit that send button before say yes to going under planters for the reasons imapigeon stated.

Jan
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9208333

Seriously Jan, you will find a great deal on Craigslist! Someone near me has a 3.3 cubic ft kiln for sale on craigslist for $200, and it's chock full of glazes, tools etc (some of it's probably junk but I'd love to dig thru it). Oh, I so want to go get it! There's another person nearby that has a kiln and a wheel for $1000, they say they are tossing in tools/supplies too but no picture in the ad.

But, of course, I really don't have the cash and just lectured my hub about spending on stuff we really don't need (and you all know this is not something I could 'sneak' into the house as I'd need his help lifting it and wiring for the outlet the kiln needs)

Thanks all for explaining the pot feet; when it comes to plants in pots I'm a 'bad gardener', they never seem to last so I just put everything in the ground! My hub does a much better job than I so he's in charge of all the indoor plants! If I ever try outdoor planters again I'll just have to try some pot feet!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9208416

ItsMeChrissy

container growing, to me, is the easiest. You just need to make sure your soil (growing media) is light enough so the roots don't drown in the soil. You should check out the container growing forum here at DG gosh can't think of the guys name but it is a sticky as his container mix is perfect! Give it another try and add some pot feet and your good to go. Gosh I wish I was by you as I think I could swing the 200.00 for that one...wow.

But for what I'm wanting to start out making don't you think a small kiln is the way to go and not a large one?

Jan
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9208780

Jan...I'd start small for sure but to me 3.3 cubic ft is small as my current kiln is 7 cubic feet and it takes FOREVER for me to fill it. Of course i'd probably not go less than 2 cubic ft as you want some room to grow (clay is addicting!)
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9208910

Love those pot feet imapigeon!

I'm going to have to get an extruder some day soon. I love the feet and your soap dishes, and I think you showed pictures of something else extruded before. Until then I thought extruding was for basic coils, triangle shapes, etc. that came with the basic extruder, but now can see how useful custom making can be.

I actually use pot feet so lizards can have a hiding place to get away from the cats. We had too many tailless lizards until I put feet under the larger pots. Plus watching the lizard can keep the cats entertained for hours.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9209157

Anniesfollies, I love your take on the pot feet babysitting your cats...LOL

So for those of you who use an extruder, what is a good site to go to, in order to learn more about this? Imapigeon, how many pot feet do you make? or are you just making them for yourself? I love the soap dish as well.

Jan
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9209261

I love ceramicartsdaily.org ...here's a link to their page on extruders. http://ceramicartsdaily.org/category/ceramic-studio-equipment/clay-extruders/
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9209432

There are whole books on extruding---I'm still a novice at it, but it's a great way to make things I want to make multiples of. I make the pot feet for anyone who wants them----these particular ones were handpainted to match the tiles I made for my courtyard, but I also make them in plain glazes, or even unglazed. They're ^10 stoneware so they'll probably last forever unless I run over them with a truck.

I also think starting out with a smaller kiln is a good idea---but not too small---I've used my 4 cu ft one for almost 35 years.

If you can find a good class at a community college or adult ed program, you can use their equipment while you're zeroing in on what you really like doing. There are so many aspects to ceramics, and in my experience people seem to either gravitate to handbuilding or throwing---not many do both with the same level of passion.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9210693

thanks itsmechrissy, I'll check them out.

Yes I interested as I need a way to make them so I can afford them for my soap business (the soap dishes), I wanted to have someone else but for it to be worth their while to do it and not get paid enough for them to enjoy it for me, and still cheap enough for me to be able to afford it. I've always done some type of craft and never wanted to short change someone so I thought in order for my soaps to stand out I needed my own soap dishes...LOL

Then since I'm a gardener, here a again the cheapest way for me to have something that I'm addicted to...

Although once you factor in the initial costs to get up and going maybe it isn't the cheapest...rofl.

thanks imapigeon as I had just about come to the smaller the same size as yours as being the best fit for me.

Jan
Cicca
Herndon, VA
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9313689

Hey folks,
I hope you don't mind my jumping in on the covo here.
To the OP: I had my dad make me a kick wheel about 6 years ago, he has since redone it with a foot pedal and a small sewing maching motor once my knee started giving me issues. The whole kit and caboodle cost me about 70$ I can say aside from having to clean it and reseal it every now and again the thing just won't die, and I store it outside on my patio exposed to harsh rain, heat and snow, it has moved with us from Michigan to California and to DC.
I am sure there are some good brands out there but I happen to think that none would have held up like this little homemade job.

Other random info:
YouTube has some videos on wheels both primitive types that are still used in India, and hickabilly ones made from old spare car tires. It's been my experiance that in this craft you can spend as much or as little as you want. I don't own a kiln, I take my goods to a friends burn pit and pit fire. I have heard about but not tried digging out and cleaning your own clay. I prefer to make eco friendly baking soda clay, which is really easy to work with you just can't pull it high like you would normal clays. However, they do now sell air dry clays, reportedly these behave just as normal clay would.

Has anyone else tried "painting" their projects with crayola markers and sealing with nailpolish?

This message was edited Oct 24, 2012 11:38 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America