Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 10, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8923590

Great news, my little sprout is growing up! Here is a couple of pictures, the first was last night before I went to work and the second is this morning, they were right when they said you could sit there and watch it grow! I finally did what you guys said and left it alone and it started to grow again.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Click the image for an enlarged view.

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 10, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8923595

This morning.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 10, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8923955

a side view.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 11, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8925205

progress report, my little plant is growing rapidly, gonna try to put the pictures like pirl did, but not sure how to do it, so gonna experiment (with pictures not plants)!I guess she has the software and the know how to do this, I don't so gonna have to do it the old fashioned way and post the next picture in the next post.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 11, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8925216

growing like a weed, would you guys and gals rather I did not post to this forum anymore? I was going to document the day to day growth but I think I will stop until it blooms if it does this year. Just thought you good people would like to see how it is doing since you were the ones who finally pounded it into my head to leave it alone and stop obssessing about it. My hubby used that word a lot when I started this project and I guess I have alienated my friends here because no one is saying anything about my pics. I don't expect a fanfare every time I post, but when NO ONE says anything, it gets kinda scary, because the few friends I have on here I did not want to lose. I love this page, you have all been so helpful, thank you.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8925544

Don't take it personally--things are always a lot slower around here in the winter because people don't have as much to do in the garden, and especially with Christmas being just a couple weeks away people probably have lots of other things going on.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 11, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8925565

I was hoping that was the case, how do you like my little green sprout? He is growing inches every day. I am trying to keep a picture diary of sorts, here he is this day and how many inches he has grown while I was at work. The one thing about work that is very good, I don't think about the flowers so much and it is a surprise when I come home and he has grown a few more inches. I do have one question, I have noticed in the daytime the leaves separate and in the evenings they close up together again, why is that?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 12, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8926140

I am making a photo diary of my plant, I have a folder on my desktop that I have put the photos of it as it is growing. I measured it this morning when I got up and it had grown to 4 inches from soil to top of leaves. So it is growing QUITE WELL! I am sorry but I am so excited about it, waited so long for it to take off again. Even if it don't bloom this year, at least it has leaves and I know it is alive. I did not know about the differences between them and the Naked Ladies, I thought they were all the same thing. But we will see what we will see. Merry Christmas!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 12, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8926141

from what you see here, do you in your honest opinion think it will bloom this year? As far as I know it did in my neighbors garden this past summer.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 12, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8926742

I have trouble getting those beautiful plants to flower the second year, I get lovely tall elegant leaves that grow like Topsy, but most times, no flowers ,yet the bulbs look healthy and plump, Oh well will have to follow your diary Teddy to see if you fair any better eh.

Don't worry about the lack of replies here, as Ecrane said, winter for a lot of people is the time they put their garden to bed and take up maybe some other hobby till spring, or maybe with Christmas just around the corner everyone is busy with preparation for that.
I feel quite sure your friends will still be around once the gardening weather picks up again, meantime have a lovely Christmas, a fruitful 2012 and stay with us all, there is always a friendly member who will chat back to you.
Best of luck with your new study. WeeNel.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 13, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8927631

hey Pirl, how are your Amaryllis doing in the windowsill? Even with the storm window on the outside it is too cold to put the flowers there, but it is doing quite well where it is now. Has any of yours bloomed yet? You were right when you said leave them alone, I did and look what happened. Even if mine don't bloom this year, it is nice to know that I can grow flowers inside in the winter. But I might just have one inside next winter instead of 4, don't know yet, a lot of things can happen before next winter. Still have most of this winter to get through. I just wanted to show you that mine is doing good. How much taller do they need to get for me to stake them? Or should I find something now?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 14, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8929254

As you can see the leaves are beginning to spread out, and I had to take a picture of it. What is the difference between the regular Amaryllis plant and the naked lady plants that you see out in the summer?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 16, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8932000

It is really getting tall. I found out that the kind I got is Amaryllis Belledonna, it has the pink flowers on it in the late summer. I was also told (not saying I believe it) that the leaves come first and the flower stalk comes later, as you can see the leaves are really doing a good job, do you think I should try to stake it any? It is a small pot and I don't want to topple it over. Any suggestions would be helpful,

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8932042

No staking necessary. The leaves will flop a bit but the flower stalk will be quite sturdy.

The difference is the Genus. They're both in the Amaryllidaceae Family but your Naked ladies are the Amaryllis Genus and the others are in the Hippeastrum Genus. Same family but cousins, so to speak. Amaryllis belledonna is more suited for your climate.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8932439

yeah, the leaves come before the flowers, they take up energy for the flowers. when the leaves versus the flowers grow depends on the climate. maybe february or march you'll have flowers.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8933273

my 2 flower stalks came up fast but the leaves stayed barely poking out, and now i have fully blooming amaryllis but no leaves ? Is this normal?
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 17, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8933318

Bloomfly: yes. happens all the time.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 17, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8933329

here is another one that is getting started. I think I read that I need to leave the papery covering alone, is that true? In fact I think pirl told me that. Was I right pirl? And how are your Amaryllis doing?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8933404

Hi Teddy. Most of us did not know you had started a new thread. A lot of members use their Thread Watcher to advise when there are new posts, so they do not see if you open up a new thread and stop posting on the old one. If you go back and look at the old thread, you will see the link to this one.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 17, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8933485

thank you themoonhowl, I was wondering where everybody went.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 18, 2011
3:39 AM

Post #8934025

This is the longest Thrad I had followed!! i am going to look for the amaryllis that i had last year for the Holidays.

Belle
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8934194

pirl has lotsss of experience, dont remove the papery stuff. if any comes off by itself its not a problem, just like the onions for cooking - theres always little scraps of papery stuff wherever you keep the onions. yes very long thread! lol
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8934342

Great! Another flower opened this morning to reveal a amaryllis Susan flower. Last year i got one as a present and it didn't have flowers, so this year i chose a HUGE bulb with two flower stalks just poking out of the neck and bought it. It is so wonderful to have a blooming plant in the dead of winter.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 18, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8934372

it really is. Wow, just loooked it up, susan is such a pretty shade of pink!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 18, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8934385

That is what I thought would happen with mine, then remembered where I got mine, I wish I could find a bulb for Christmas, but I think it is a little late for that, especially when Christmas is so close. Got good news, got a van to replace the truck, we sold the truck and got the van, it is a Town and Country and it is in good condition especially for the price. Lots of storage spaces and lots of room to haul things in, I never had a vehicle that I could get out of the front seat and go to the back without going outside and he has the key that unlocks it electronically. That way in the winter when he has to go somewhere after it has snowed, I don't have to go outside and unlock the door manually! That was a bear espcially when you had to warm up the key with a lighter because the lock was frozen, that really sucked! All in all I love it! Here is the latest picture of my leaves, just love to share it with you guys.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011

Post #8934410

Well the box said susan, but the flower turned out to be more of a redish color not pink like the photos. Heres an example of mine.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8934419

And this is the box's flower color:

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011

Post #8934424

Oh and my cosmos which had pretty much the same colors as teddy's are still growing! In the dead of winter too. But when they grew up from seed they were only 1/2 to 1 foot tall. Why did this happen? They were seeded in spring into seed trays, then planted out when the first true leaves grew(took a while).
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8934426

They weren't dwarf varieties.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 21, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8937990

As you can see, my little Amaryllis is not so little anymore, I enjoy the leaves, they are some greenery on these rainy days. The little one has started to grow, it is peeking out of its papery skin more than it was before.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8937994

Bravo! I knew you could do it...just takes a little patience...grin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 21, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8937995

As you can see, it is peeking out, now I will have 2 bunches of leaves growing. I won't post these leaves as they grow because I know how to take care of them now, thanks to pirl and all my friends here who have given me bits of info and some of their wisdom. Thank you all again. Yes, themoonhowl, you are right, just take oooops, can't say that word, its bad ;)

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8938263

GRIN!! Have a Merry Christmas Teddy.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8939850

Was my amaryllis flower mutated, or was the bulb labeled incorrectly, in that case , I'm off to the identification forum.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 24, 2011
8:22 AM

Post #8941495

This is my Naked Lady plant, its leaves are really growing. It will be interesting to see the flowers when they bloom

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 25, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8942529

I have this picture of my Morning Glories, someone told me that I needed more light, so I have my clamp on light as well as the lamp. Do you think that is enough light? If anybody knows of a good link about them I would be grateful to read them. They were at the windowsill but it was too cold and they were not getting enough light, so I moved it to the bookcase where it can get lots of light. I hope evryone had a great Christmas and I wish everyone and their families a great and prosperous new year and please, please tell me if my threads get too long and I will start a new one.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 25, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8942626

Since I found out what kind of plant I have, I have a question, is it possible to grow Naked Lady plants in a vase with just water? Like the Amaryllis that you get to grow for Christmas, I took the one that I had in there before and put it back in there again, someone said that I had a kind called Lacrois or something like that. If someone can find me some more information on this type of plant for me.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8942673

Hi Teddy. Here is some info on LYCORIS (naked lady) plants for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoris_%28plant%29

http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/lycoris.html

http://www.fairweathergardens.com/genus.php?type=Perennials&genus=Lycoris

http://www.plant-biology.com/Lycoris-Hardy-Amaryllis.php

And here is some info from folks growing MGs indoors.

https://mycotopia.net/forums/botanicals/34175-morning-glory-indoors.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071116045352AApdsog

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=002u94

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3018364

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9nmvJ_Njo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0unTYBQU4iU

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8947004

I decorated my amaryllis pot after the first stem was removed and an unattractive stump was left behind. I used sphagnum moss to give it an aged look, while also being apparent that it is recently grown. Tell me if you like it!

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8947005

The first flower is about to open in my recent post's picture.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 29, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8947083

That is a very interesting way to hide a ugly stump, and your bloom is going to be beautiful. Unfortunately, mine won't bloom for a couple of months yet. But they are going to bloom and they will be pink and very tall, I think I will put them in the ground after the last frost date and watch them grow. I have a spot picked out for the rest of the purple Morning Glories, they will be planted on the outside of the back fence where they will get more sunshine than the red ones got, mkaybe this year the blue ones will come up don't know yet. There was one plant that got started a little too late and got killed hopefully the others will come up in time to bloom for me.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8947388

Teddy. It would not be beneficial to the amaryllis to move it outside too soon. They pretty much prefer at least 75 degree weather. I would wait until maybe June before planting the ones from inside out in the garden. Below is a link that explains "hardening off", a process of moving plants from indoors to outdoors.

http://coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Garden/harden.htm

http://www.unce.unr.edu/publications/files/ho/2003/fs0371.pdf
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8947485

thanks themoonhowl,I am going to wait until it gets a LOT warmer outside. With this odd weather we have been having, it is hard to keep the same temps inside when the outside weather is either too warm or cold. Which this winter it has not gotten too cold. It is doing quite well and I am proud of it. The leaves are pretty and they sway a little in the breeze created by the ceiling fan, we have it on to move the heat around from the pellet stove. I was trying to figure out which would be better, taking it out of the pot or leaving it in there. If I leave it in the pot, I can dig it up in the fall and bring it inside, if not would it die out in the garden since we are in zone 6?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8947632

Amaryllis are reliably outdoor hardy in zones 9 to 11. Some of them survive winters outdoors in zone 7b. You are zone 6. You will need to bring them indoors for winter.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/amaryllis-instructions

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Gardening/diggin-it/2011/0302/Growing-amaryllis-outdoors
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8947699

Sinking the pot in the ground will make it easier to dig up for the winter, but if you prefer to plant it directly in the garden you can still dig it up and bring it in for the winter.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8947710

guuess it would be better to leave them in the pots then. You do realize these are Amaryllis Belledonna or Naked Ladies don't you? Was not sure if you remembered that.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

December 30, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8947715

welcome back ecrane, did you have a nice holiday? We had a quiet one, did not go anywhere and no one came over, so it was quiet and nice.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2011
11:01 AM

Post #8947771

I did have a nice holiday--went to Cleveland to visit family. Luckily it didn't start snowing until the day I was heading back!
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011

Post #8947843

Now we wait for next year! Well now the flower bud opened to reveal a Redish orange flower unlike the pink Color 'Susan' is expected to be. Ill post a pic.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8947857

Here is a photo of the blossom.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #8949858

Teddy I have what I call naked ladies/surprise lilies. They stay out all winter in zone 5 and do just fine. Unfortunately I don't know much and they may not be the same plant.
Moon will know if they are the same thing or not, I gave her some.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #8949866

There are some other things that go by the name naked ladies--the ones that I remember seeing when I was growing up in Ohio were Lycoris squamigera http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/517/ which are hardy in zone 5.
jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #8950172

Yep that's the one I have ecrane.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 1, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #8950235

That's the one I have, naked ladies and these are in the ground all year long and they do grow. I just thought that I would try to grow one inside and I think it is a success. Will be interesting to see the flower stem, I think I will plant it outside when it is warm enough and then that way I can enjoy them when they come up.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #8950246

They do look beautiful...
obliqua
Pittsburgh, PA

January 6, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8957399

I have some naked ladies in zone 5 that I received in a trade. This past spring they leafed out, and the leaves died back, as they should. They did not bloom in the summer/fall. I was told that I may have to wait a season or two for a bloom.

They are on an internal "bulb" schedule, and dividing them and replanting them may knock them out of their normal pattern of growth. Mine came from Sacramento, so Pittsburgh is a real "jolt" for their internal clock. I suppose?

Judy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #8958038

Yes, Lycoris can be quite resentful about being disturbed, Judy. I have L aurea and some of them take a season off from blooming now and then. A friend sent me a bunch of the pink ones, L squamigera this past fall, so will be interesting to see if they bloom this year or take a break.

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Lycoris
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #8962052

Hi everyone. I hope you don't mind me jumping in. This is my first experience with amaryllis and I've been learning a lot following your thread. I have some Hippeastrum amaryllis. This is my "red lion". I have an "apple blossom" ready to pop too. I didn't even know about amaryllis before, let alone how many there were. Very nice flower Teddy!

Thumbnail by ironworker25

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 10, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #8962473

Wonderful flowers Ironworker! As you may have seen earlier in this thread, I had an amaryllis 'Susan' growing and flowering. However, it was only my second go at amaryllis. The first plant I owned rotted, and it didn't even flower! It only produced leaves. However, I wish you luck on your journey through the world of amaryllis. There may be problems you encounter, but try to just push past them. Everyone on this thread was very helpful, and they will work with you to solve problems for you. Good luck!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 12, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #8964708

The leaves on my Naked Lady plant are dying, how long after they die does the stem come up? I am glad I took pictures of the leaves as they grew, it kind of looks sad with them turning yellow and drooping when they were so proud looking a few days ago, maybe I am a softy, I don't like to see anything die especially when I worked so hard to get them to grow, the other two are doing well, not as tall as this one but they are growing. I have more patience now with them since I grew the first one. Will take a picture of the first one when they come up with the flower.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #8964887

Out in the garden, mine die back in late April/early May and then start putting up bloom spikes in September/October. I do not know how long it will take them in pots.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #8965113

Thanks for the compliment Bloomfly! I had to look in the plantfiles for your "susan". It looks a lot like my "apple blossom", but with much more color. I'd like to add it to my collection someday. I wasn't aware there were THAT many amaryllis! I almost gave up looking! I hope it makes it for you, its a great amaryllis. Anyone looking for tips or ideas on these or "paperwhites" should check out- P. Allen Smith. Com. He's got some neat ideas for these flowers instead of the old plastic or clay pots and soil. I just have to throw in a pic of my "a. b." too. Good luck everyone.

Thumbnail by ironworker25

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #8965252

You both should check out today's DG article on Amaryllis on the home page.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #8965471

Your welcome ironworker! I must say though that the actual color of the amaryllis's flower was a reddish color. The shade of pink that 'apple blossom' has is stunning. Here's the color of my bulb.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 12, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #8965474

Here's the flower of my bulb. And thanks themoonhowl!

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #8965864

Thanks Moonhowl, I did happen to catch that last night and was going to post that today myself. And thanks again to you Bloomfly. Your Susan does look quite a bit different than the photo but is still quite a nice flower. There are so many different shades available its hard to say if it was mismarked or if that is what it truly is. Have to wait for next years blooms huh. Still a beautiful winter flower.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #8965929

You are both quite welcome. There is a wealth of info out there. You just have to kinda sift through it to get what you need.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8966034

I agree. And yes, the flower's shade was different. I don't know why, but if it was misnamed, its off to the identification forum. If its just a color variation, I still like it. Oh and anyone noticed, i clipped the anthers off. I intend on getting seed from it. I have a link to my amaryllis seed forum if you have any tips. Thanks. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1237024/
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #8966162

I agree Moonhowl. I've read so much stuff that its hard to keep it all straight! I believe I've got the basics in order though. The real test is going to come when I put these things into dormancy for next years blooms. I know there are conflicting opinions on the subject, but I'd like to have Christmas flowers next year and the homepage article gave pretty good timelines for that.

I'll make sure to follow your seed forum Bloomfly and pass along any good info I come across. I'm kind of interested in doing the same so I hope it all works out for you. I lucked out and got a bulblet from my apple blossom which has doubled in size and doing quite nicely. Good luck.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #8966213

Best of luck to you both.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8966643

I found nothing yet. The only changes is in the pods. They have swollen to about the same width as a dime. The leaves still haven't popped out, is this bad? The flowers died, and the seeds are forming.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 14, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #8967011

Teddy,
Did you post flowers of your plant?

Belle
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 14, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #8967158

My plant is not the Amaryllis that you can bloom for the holidays, mine are Naked Ladies which do not come up until spring, right now the leaves are dying so it does not look that good. One of the other ones that have the leaves is starting to grow up now, so will put pictures of it as it grows. I was mixed up when I got these, and thought they were the ones that you could grow inside for the holidays if you forced them, but I was wrong, I will post pics of my Naked Lady blooms when it does, which will not be for a while. I have no idea how long after the leaves have died that the flower stem arrives, but you can be sure that I will post pics to share with all of you.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #8967298

typically, the bulb grows its leaves in spring and dies like daffodils. then in mid-late summer it blooms. in warmer climates blooms usually in cooler season than summer.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #8967342

I do not know if you know this, but amaryllis does not have to go dormant. Cybister varieties shouldn't even be allowed to go dormant. I heard of many people who have successfully grown the amaryllis bulbs, such as the ones we own, without a dormant period. The bulbs would bloom strongly each year.
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #8967350

do the amaryllis grow year-round where you are Bloomfly? im guessing they do in beautiful Cali. just wondering if thats what you meant. sometimes they fail to bloom here because they keep growing leaves year-round, so the University of Florida suggests interrupting their growth by replanting in fall.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #8967653

I'm not even sure they will live outside in the high desert. I have heard that the bulbs put through year-round growth usually flower in spring, or when put to the first growing cycle. The bulbs should produce blooms when they are ready, coastal. Amaryllis do NOT require a dormant period.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #8967764

I've gathered the same thing from what I've read Bloomfly. The only real reason for dormancy is to shoot for a specific bloom date. Most people want Christmas blooms.
So...how are you coming on your seed pods? I've been looking for more info for you, but most of it is general and not much help. I did come across a company that deals solely in amaryllis and seems like a good source for possible answers and they have quite a selection if anyone is looking to purchase. They carry rare varieties, but I want a little more experience before I take any chances with the expensive ones. I will keep looking because I want to try it myself...if I get seeds that is!
Here is the site link:

http://www.amaryllis.com/pac.htm
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #8967856

Thanks! The seed pods are growing quite rapidly. I don't know when they will ripen, but the pods so far are healthy and green, with no sign of dying. I will try to post a picture of them soon.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #8968144

Bloomfly, I think I hit the jackpot with this one! Everything we need to know about Amaryllis...and experts to ask for anything else in the discussion forum. Pictures, videos, links, etc. Hope you get as much from it as I did. Wish I had seeds!
And yes, I'd like to see how your seed pods are coming along when you get to it.

Here's the link:
http://www.amaryllisbulbs.org/2009/01/sowing-germinating-amaryllis-seeds.html
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #8968166

This should definitely help ironworker! I will sow some in soil, and try to float some, storing some in the fridge for backup.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #8968175

Here they are! The pods that will bring forth a new generation of amaryllis!

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #8968176

A brighter photo. They are small now, but they will grow.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 15, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #8968253

Bloomfly,
We cut off the whole stem as soon as the flowers dries up, I did not know that you can save the pods.

Can you post a thread what to do with the pods when they ripen?

Thanks,

Belle
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #8968611

Well generally, a lot of people choose to cut off the stem after the flowers fade, because they think growing amaryllis from seed may not be worth it as the mother bulb may not flower for 1-2 years, the seeds might be infertile, or the plants will not come true from seed. As I may have mentioned on my amaryllis seeds thread, I enjoy the satisfaction of growing long term seeds (such as trees and bulbs) from seed, and eventually seeing them bloom as a reward. YouTube has a series of videos on amaryllis seed germination, harvesting, pollination, and even a video on the sizes of amaryllis seedling sizes through the years. They are by Amaryllis man. The videos had some info on germination the seeds, but not enough to help someone through the years. Bellieg, my thread on amaryllis seeds should eventually cover your questions. Even I wasn't sure of what to do (when to plant, how to plant, when to harvest, how to harvest,etc).
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #8968669

Glad I could help Bloomfly. Your pods look great! Hope to have some of my own soon. I'll have to follow your thread to see how you're doing in the future. Did you get a chance to read any of the old forums there? I believe that some of your unanswered questions were in there. I thought that site was still active, but it looks like it may be idle. Still a great source of starter info though. Anyway, I hope all this works out so I can learn from you too. I will keep looking for any help for us along the way so we can start trading!
Did you see the portion on that site where they show you how to save pollen for future plant hybrids? I really never thought of that. I'm going to try my "apple blossom" with my "minerva" when it blooms. Hope it works!
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012

Post #8968681

I can't wait to see the outcome! You pollinated your 'red lion' right? It is doubtful that the 'red lion''s flowers are still up, but if the stigma is there, you might be able to cross your 'apple blossom' with your 'red lion' (just a suggestion if the flowers are still alive). Sorry if the pictures are blurry, the camera I took them with was on the wrong setting.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2012 12:03 PM
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #8968694

Heres a clearer photo. They are not really yellow. The camera's flash makes it appear to be dying.

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22

ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #8968864

The picture is fine Bloomfly. They really look nice. Oddly enough, two of the red flowers are still going! A little wilted around the edges, but still very colorful. I did cross them but too early to tell if it took yet. It appears that one may be swelling a bit, but it might just be wishful thinking. About how long did it take for you to know for sure? I want to say four, maybe five days on the first one. I'm going to start using my journal more!
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #8969066

I started to notice swelling in the back of the bloom almost immediately after the bloom was pollinated, which was right before the flower faded and began to dry up.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8969129

The one faded flower does appear to be larger at the base than the others...so here's hoping. It still has one more bloom growing on it and that may be robbing energy. If it is pollinated, I wonder if I should remove the new bloom so as not to stress the plant? I bought it as a kit and it had already started growing. I'm not going to put this one into dormancy so it can regain its strength and then bloom again on its own. I know they're cheap to replace, but I'd like to see how long I can keep it around. Defeats the purpose if I replace them every Christmas! I read on that site of one woman whose grandmother had passed down a bulb a hundred years old! I don't expect that from any of mine, but it shows just how hardy these plants are with proper care.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 15, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #8969136

I am thinking if I get the full time job that I am applying for, I will get a Amaryllis hippestrum and see if it will grow for me, all your beautiful pictures have gotten me wondering if I can grow one too. Do I have to wait for Christmas again, or can I try to grow one now?
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #8969147

If you are lucky enough to find one, then yes, you can. as long as the temperatures when the flowers emerge and open are cool, you should be able to grow one. I had one that I managed to get to bloom in the middle of summer! I forgot to take it out of dormancy, (long time lol) and when it sprouted, a flower scape grow up. It didn't go dormant again until the following summer, in which it had sent up another flower scape in mid winter. This was the one that rotted last fall.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #8969947

Hi Teddy. If you do some checking, maybe some of the big home improvement stores may still have a couple around. I got some at ACO hardware, maybe check these types. Target carries them, so does Meijer and probably Wal-Mart. Check the bulb if you find one. Make sure its not rotted or soft. Mine was already coming out of dormancy and didn't hurt it any. I'm just not going to force it into dormancy so it will regain its energy. If you can't find any at those places, or want a better quality bulb, go to the link I left on Jan. 14. Great selection and high quality. Good luck and hope to see pictures of your blooms soon!
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #8969961

If they have already sprouted, I consider that to be good. I found my 'Susan' amaryllis as a fat bulb, with the 2 flower scapes poking out. That meant to me that I had one less step to do! I immediately checked the bulb for rotting, and after the entire bulb was felt, I purchase the bulb, brought it home, and soaked the roots in water. To be honest, I was actually was looking for a 'Minerva' amaryllis, but after I saw the 'Susan' amaryllis flower picture, I fell in love. I still liked it, even though the color was red with a slight hint of orange.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 20, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #8975476

My Naked Lady leaves are dying, is that normal now? Someone said I could see blooms in February, I sure hope so.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #8975559

Yes, since they are inside it is normal.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 25, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #8981732

When the flower stem comes up, can we see it coming up? Will it start like the leaves did?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #8981885

It will initially look like another leaf, but will rather quickly show a lighter colored tip and then start to swell...you will know it when you see it.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 26, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #8982783

Thanks themoonhowl, I will be so excited when it starts to grow.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #8982809

Here is a bit more info on Lycoris

http://pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/files/Lycoris/Garden_Lycoris_and_More.pdf
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 27, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #8984181

One of my Naked Lady leaves is turned yellow, what can be causing this, here is a picture of it. It has healthy green leaves too, but just this one is yellow, should I try to get rid of it or leave it alone?

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #8984330

Remember what I said about the bloom spike looking like a leaf...but lighter? Be patient, Teddy...that may NOT be a leaf...and even if it was, you would not want to mess with it at that point as you could do damage to the bulb.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #8985300

Ok, I won't mess with it, but this is on a different bulb, I thought the leaves always came on first and then the flower on the Naked Lady plant. I did not think it had leaves AND a flower spike at the same time. Can it have leaves and a flower spike too?
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #8985344

Here is what I was talking about, if it is not a flower spike why is it so early and if not is there something wrong with it.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #8985373

Teddy, it is very hard to keep track of which bulb is which. At this point, all I can say is sit back and let Nature take its' course. So many of the bulbs have been shuffled around, I am never sure which is which. I am not fussing at you, just trying to establish a bit of order for your questions.

Perhaps if you label each one with a number, Bulb 1, Bulb 2...etc and always use that designation then it would be easier to keep track of what is happening to who...and maybe why.

Sometimes a leaf will start and for some unknown reason it will not progress any further...it can happen for any number of reasons...but there is green behind that yellowed part, so it appears the bulb itself is still viable.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #8985446

I can't take a picture of what i did because my camera batteries went dead so I am charging them now, I did label my bulbs like you suggested themoonhowl, the one that had the long leaves is bulb 1, the one that I took the picture of the yellow leaf is bulb 2, and the other one is of course bulb 3. So when the batteries get charged I will take a picture of the set up. Thanks again.
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #8985834

This is bulb 1, as you can see, all the leaves are just about gone.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #8985837

This is bulb 2, as you can see, it is the one with the yellow leaf.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #8985839

And this of course is bulb 3, it is kinda trailing behind the others.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #8985863

I thought you had planted your Lycoris bulbs back before Christmas and had already gotten leaves on them. Are these different bulbs? i am well and truly confused.

Here, the Lycoris in my garden sprout leaves in late September/ October and keep them over the winter until somewhere around late April to mid May when it starts getting really warm. The leaves die back and the bulb works on getting ready to produce blooms which appear in August and September...followed by a new set of leaves.

In this picture taken in March, you can see the Lycoris in the upper left hand corner.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #8985871

In this photo, taken the first week in October, you can see the blooms, but all the foliage has yet to start growing. I have mostly yellow Lycoris, with the odd red one showing up now and then.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #8985903

your lycoris make a handsome clump in the first pic of the magnolia themoonhowl, and it must be fun to find a radiant red one like that!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2012 9:12 PM
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #8985923

The only one that has had long leaves was bulb 1, The others have not grown too much until now. I have mixed them up so much I am truely surprised that they are still alive! I was mixed them up because I thought they were the ones that you force for the holidays. So I finally figured out that the kind I have is the Naked Lady plants and not the Amaryllis hippeastrum that you have for Christmas. So that is the long and short of it. I was trying to grow them according to the directions for a different kind of flower, that is why they have not done anything yet. So now it is time for that word again,P..A..T..I..E..N..C..E!!!!!!!!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 28, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #8985942

All the leaves are off of bulb 1, now just to wait until the flower stem starts to grow. I think someone said 2 more months, geez, I waited this long for the leaves to come up.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #8986358

Thanks CZpush...there is also another clump in the lower right corner with the Kniphofia and daylilies and probably 3 or 4 others scattered around...I like the fact that there is some green out there in the winter. yes, especially when they just pop up like that...guess that is why one of the names is Surprise Lily...grin

Yes Teddy...that word again...grin
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 29, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #8986503

Poor little sprout with no leaves, looks kinds sad don't it? I keep watering it when it looks dry don't I? Am I supposed to give it any fertilizer now, or should I just leave it alone? Help, themoonhowl, you are my advice counselor. There are no web links that I can go to about Naked Lady plants indoors, they are all outdoor advice.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #8986737

No water or fertilizer until it starts showing a touch of green. Then you can give it a good drink with a 1/2 strength water soluble fertilizer. Wait until the soil is almost dry before watering it again (soil down a couple inches in the pot). I know here, the bulbs are planted at least 2 times the height of the bulb under ground...

Some info on growing indoors

http://helga-george.suite101.com/the-magic-lily--a-drought-tolerant-species-of-lycoris-a273830

My other question for you, is which Lycoris do you have? L squagmigera (pink/lavender), L radiata (red) or L aurea (yellow) They are all called naked ladies, surprise lily, resurrection lily, magic lily...
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #8986779

If this is the one that grows outdoors in OH then it's L. squamigera, the others wouldn't be hardy there.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #8986832

If that is the case, then Teddy, they aren't even supposed to bloom until mid to late summer.

Teddy, Lakeview is zone 5b...the Lycoris squagmigera are winter hardy there. My suggestion is to follow the directions for growing them outdoors. Plant them at the appropriate time at the proper depth, making sure they get at least morning sun, and then leave them in the ground. Everything I read says hardy to Zone 5...marginally hardy to zone 4...My friend grows then in her zone 5 Northern Illinois garden and leaves them in the ground year round. Another friend grows them in containers in Northern Wisconsin and just stores the containers over winter so they don't freeze.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2078751_grow-surprise-lily.html
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

January 29, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #8986868

thanks themoonhowl and ecrane_3, that is what I will do.
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #8988928

I am yet to find surprise lilies in my nursery, but they say a shipment should come soon, or as late as their flowering period.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America