Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Warm your Winter Holidays with the Spicy Scent of Cinnamon: cinnamon as a fungicide

Communities > Forums > Article: Warm your Winter Holidays with the Spicy Scent of Cinnamon
bookmark
Forum: Article: Warm your Winter Holidays with the Spicy Scent of CinnamonReplies: 4, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kentepoz
Malinalco
Mexico

December 12, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8926797

People who grow orchids will probably know well that cinnamon is quite a good remedy for fungal problems and is used for this purpose by orchid fanciers.
Here in Mexico, some people use it to effectively chase leaf-cutting ants away (given that these ant colonies use the leaves they harvest from our gardens to make compost for growing the fungal mycellium they feed on) while others use it as an infusion - a folk remedy for a host of problems including low blood pressure. Saigon cinnamon's the most potent and the tastiest.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8927129

I've heard of using cinnamon to help prevent "damping off" in seedlings (which is a fungal problem also) but didn't know cinnamon could be more widely applied as an antifungal... thanks!

I wonder if cinnamon would deter other types of ants, whether or not they were fungus eaters? Might be worth a try...

"True" cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon, which I think is also probably "Saigon cinnamon") is indeed the one to use for its health benefits. The cinnamon that's best known in the states is cassia cinnamon, which may be problematic to consume in larger quantities (eg, 1/2 teaspoon or more daily). I think the cinnamon used in Mexico for cooking is more likely to be ceylon cinnamon than cassia. I wrote an article about these 2 types of cinnamon here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1970/

For these ornaments, I think the cassia cinnamon is best, as it has a stronger aroma (to my nose, anyway) than the ceylon.

Thanks for your comments!
kentepoz
Malinalco
Mexico

December 12, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8927329

Great article - thankyou for clarifying something that had remained in question for me. Prompted me to do a search on Wikipedia as well.
Yes, here in Mexico, the cinnamon that we use and grow is, as you state, the more delicate, thinner bark of Cinnamomun zeylanicum or verum, which is considered by many culinary experts as being the finer, more valuable spice. However, I would agree with you that the stronger "cassia" imparts that cinnamon punch that gives baked goods the irresistable flavour cinnamon addicts crave. Wikipedia also clarified that Saigon cinnamon, with a more intense but finer fragrance than cassia, is actually a separate species - C. loureiroi.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8927971

Aha! Another cinnamon to discover! Thank you... I was thinking Saigon cinnamon was another common name for C. zeylanicum... I figured the latin name there explained the common name of "Ceylon Cinnamon" ("zeylan" sort of = "ceylon" ?)

Thanks!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8927978

OK, I just googled and discovered that C. loureiroi is commonly called "Vietnamese Cinnamon" -- I do have this in my spice cupboard! Mine comes from Penzey's, a spice company that also carries Chinese Cassia and Ceylon Cinnamon... I'd been thinking of it as simply a finer grade of cassia, with a more intense flavor. Cool to know it's actually a different species. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Warm your Winter Holidays with the Spicy Scent of Cinnamon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh, What a Fabulous Idea! DreamOfSpring 19 Dec 7, 2009 4:53 PM
Tea phicks 10 Dec 7, 2009 6:31 PM
Fun project Terry 10 Dec 12, 2009 2:41 AM
We are SO doing this Christmas Eve! BennysPlace 5 Dec 20, 2008 9:36 PM
I tried this recipe sewgirl 1 Dec 8, 2009 12:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America