Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Shawnee, OK Poultry Show

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 30, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8926827

Well, I went, and as par for me, forgot my camera and was late to the show. When they said, Sat and Sun, I thought they meant all day Saturday and Sunday. No, apparently it really starts Fri night, so if you want to buy the good birds go Fri night. Saturday they have the judging, and then lock the doors at 5:30. pm. Sun at 7 am the doors are unlocked and at 8 am they give out the trophies and ribbons. By 9 am everyone is packed up and gone. All in all I spent about two hours there. Oh, and there is another large room where people put their birds up for sale.

I bought two Wyandotte pullets. Very sweet birds.

Sunday night I was so tired I left them in the car in their box with their apple and grapes, thinking they will be fine until the morning. When I woke up they had turned the box over and were sitting on the back of the car seats.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8926833

I really think I am going to like these birds. Nothing seems to bother them much. For awhile today I put them in the front yard. Right away they started pecking on the grass. Silkies on the other hand would have taken all day to decide they were safe.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8926834

When you touch them, they feel like velvet.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8929045

Those are some really nice looking hens. I love their coloring! Congratulations on your new chickens!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8929183

Thanks Terri, you are very kind.

They are extremely tame. The family that sold them to me had an entire cage full of them, probably twelve or more. They were all standing there calm as can be and all the exact same coloring and size. They had hatched them in an incubator.

I had to look at ALL the chickens in the place, about 5000 if the brochure is correct. It was strange because when I saw them all in the show barn, the ones that impressed me most were these little hens, so I was elated to see them in the sale area. I like the lacing. They look like some expensive material, rich and gorgeous to the touch.

Everyone has their own preferences, and I understand and respect that. There were some huge buff orpingtons there. Never realized they could get so big! The call ducks are precious, but they say they can fly away.

I really intended to buy a show quality silkie, but it wasn't meant to be.

Still raining here in Texas. Grateful for it.

Hope to go next year. It was a long drive for me, but it was a nice change to get out of my area.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8929219

Your Wyandottes look a lot like my Partridge Rocks...
See them here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8752245
The ones on the bottom are my Wyadottes.
I wish they had a big poultry show near here. I would like to get some Silkies too.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 14, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8929221

I love your taste in chickens. Those girls look so pettable!

No rain in my part of Texas - send it along.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8929290

Yes Titanium, from a distance they look similar. How do you like the Wyandottes? Can't wait to see how these get along with the silkies. Right now they are in quarantine in my kitchen for awhile. Yesterday I wormed them with Ivermectin. That should help in case they caught something at the show. Otherwise they look perfectly healthy.

Without DG I wouldn't even know what lacing is.

Porkpal, hope you get some rain soon. First it snowed here, then the sprinkles came and the ground is quite muddy right now. Can't say I like the mud much, but a drought is much worse. Met Brenda Gambill of Paradise Silkies, she was talking about what a difficult time she had this year because of the drought. A man named Fitzgerald has some beautiful sikies too, interesting name and easy to remember, and a woman named Sunday, not sure if that is her first or last name. They were all tired and ready to go home I gathered. Hauling a bunch of birds for miles and miles isn't an easy task.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8929405

Oh My LFJ, those are some really pretty chickies, I know you will enjoy them! Congrats!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8929473

Just drizzle here. But the sky is overcast and at least the surface soil is getting a good drenching! Hoping this goes your way porkpal. Aren't you down by Houston? It seems odd that Houston area isn't getting more rain. I've been there twice in high summer and could cut the humidity with a knife. It's been a strange year all round, hasn't it?

LFJ, those hens do look like they were hand raised. They just exude calm. Even in a photo. You made a good buy.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 14, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8929533

They are predicting rain tomorrow - hope they're right! For some reason all the rain has been going north of us. Normal yearly rainfall for this area is about 47" we have had less than 14" - mostly in January and February. It has been a very bad year. Your lovely new hens really cheer things up! Please post pictures when you can.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8929877

LFJ- I have both silver-laced and blue-laced. My blue-laced ones (girls) are stand-offish and my silver-laced will let you handle them. I think it is all according to how you handle them when they are smaller. One of my male Wyadottes lets me carry him around and the other one I can't even catch. I handled the one male more ... Maybe because he is picked on more so I 'rescued' him from the other guys quite a bit. Same with the girls. I picked up certain ones more than others. So if your Wyadottes were handled a good bit they will probably be nice chickens.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8930950

I took a couple pics to let y'all see how much my chickens have grown...

Here is a couple of my partridge rocks

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8930951

Here is one of my wyadottes

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 15, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8930956

I love the lacing on the Wyandotte. How old are they now?
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8930963

here is a group pic ... faverolle in the front, some wyadottes (blue laced in the back), and partrige rocks

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8930969

Got them in May so I think they were born in Apr.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8930973

One of my Easter Eggers

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8930979

last one of my ducks and then I'm done hijacking the thread...

This message was edited Dec 15, 2011 5:40 PM

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

December 15, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8931045

Love to look at pics.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8931103

Jim dandy hens you got there, Light. Congrats!

I have an EE hen that looks a lot like yours.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8933151

LFJ they are very beautiful andlook well cared for. I had the golden laced and they were mean butt pluckers from hell. The guy told me they were moulting when I got them. He had way to many was was trying to get rid of a bunch. Said if I bought 3 he would give me 2 free so I did planning to pass the other 2 to another person. He tried his best to give me some roosters too. I didn't keep them but a few month and figured it all out. Gave them away.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8941965

One is giving me some trouble. The first time I let them free range in the yard, one was roosting on a cinder block in the yard, the other one was about 8 feet up on a ladder I had left out. Tonight one is in the garage on the wire cage I had been keeping them in, the other one is missing. Which means I can't turn the dog loose. I hope she is hiding and will be there in the morning. So far I can't find her.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 24, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8941969

Oh I hope you find her; they are such beautiful birds.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8941994

Thanks porkpal. I've looked three times tonight, so far I don't see her.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8942322

She was in the garage somewhere. She came out this morning. Whew. Tonight I'll try to pay attention as the sun goes down.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 25, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8942463

YIppee! Your own tiny Christmas miracle.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8942906

:):):)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 26, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8943102

wonderful LFJ. Glad she is safe
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8943369

DonnaB, how is your healing coming along?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2011
2:40 PM

Post #8946890

LFJ I am up and down but only going into 5th week post surgery now. Dr visit last week he said I was going to have some painful days about the 5th to 6th week. Duh me didn't ask why!!!! I assume that is when everything will start pulling together?? I see him again on the 11th. Thanks for thinking of me :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America