Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Photo Editing Fun - Page 47

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Season's Greetings folks!

We're coming from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/photos/all/

Please join in the fun! (photo editing, that it) ...

Here's a shot of some of the lights on "Christmas Tree Lane" in Palo Alto (Fulton Avenue) ... and with a "zoom" ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

More "Christmas Tree Lane" ... (even more to come ... )

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

Wheeeee. Zoom Blur! My favorite night photography fun shot! This one is amazing! Looking forward to more night shots of the holiday lights.

You mentioned in last thread that you upload photos at up to 2 megs. For viewing on screen, you only need to save at 72 ppi and around 200 kb. If you try to post much larger than that, DG will downsize them for you which sort of freaks me out. I'd rather use Photoshop to downsize since it uses some pretty complex algorithms to minimize jpeg compression and to smooth out the tonal curve. Although, that being said, your photos always look awesome, so maybe I'm fretting for nothing. I just always save for e-mailing and web viewing at around 72 ppi and 100 to 200 kb. I do save a larger TIF at 300 ppi which is around 60 MB for printing and for editing, but only a few of those if I did a lot of work. I'd rather start over with the 9 or so MG RAW file than keep all those TIF hogs.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, all the images I post at DG I resize in PhotoShop, and are either 3 inches tall, or 3 inches wide (that's the max), and 300 dpi jpegs (size ranges from 1.6 to 2MB). That seems to work best, and as far as I can tell they are not resized. I believe the largest image I've ever posted here was maybe 4 MB. And, as far as those TIF hogs go, that's why I have multiple external hard drives ... I archive everything, except the absolute rejects (oh, there are quite a few of those).

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Now, for some more Christmas Tree Lane stuff ... Here are three versions of the same house ...

#1 ... normal ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

#2 ... partial zoom (this was an accident, but interesting enough that I kept it) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

#3 ... Full Zoom ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

More zoom ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And one more ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Penguin "Joy" ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Snowman at the door ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

I only spent about 40 minutes out at "Christmas Tree Lane" ... it's a very popular place, and even though it's just opened for the season, by 5:30 there were just too many people and too many cars ... and my camera, tripod and I were bound to get knocked over by something sooner or later ... besides, it suddenly got very cold, and my DH needed his dinner (we both needed a glass of wine) ... so, until next time, that's that! I'll case other places in the neighborhood ... there are plenty!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from Jubilada :
Patti, all the images I post at DG I resize in PhotoShop, and are either 3 inches tall, or 3 inches wide (that's the max), and 300 dpi jpegs (size ranges from 1.6 to 2MB). That seems to work best, and as far as I can tell they are not resized. I believe the largest image I've ever posted here was maybe 4 MB. And, as far as those TIF hogs go, that's why I have multiple external hard drives ... I archive everything, except the absolute rejects (oh, there are quite a few of those).

Jubi, Try right clicking one of your photos on DG, the photo, not the thumbnail and click on Properties. It will give you the size. You can see that DG has downsized the photo. I think the limit is something like 200 KB, so if you have even just1 KB over their limit (201 if the limit is indeed 200), DG will resize it. You can also right click the image, copy and then paste to your desktop and see if it is the same size as the one you uploaded. It likely will not be. You really only need 72 ppi (also called dpi) for web viewing. Monitors can't resolve any better than that. Now, printing is a different story. Then you need around 240 or 300.

Nuff of that. I need to go look at your photos!!! The fun stuff.

p

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wheeeeee! Fantastic photos and so much fun to see. I love the zooms - all of 'em. And I have to agree, that partial zoom is way cool - almost looks as if it could be real. The Penguin Joy is awesome. The little guys are adorably cute, but your decorations and the fact that you left the grass and background dark really makes that a fantastic image. Snowman is a cutie.

Great job and I can't wait to see more. I hope to be able to contribute something, but the weather for the weekend is supposed to be rainy. That would actually be good for night shots because of the reflections in the water, but my old bones and joints don't like that wet cold.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Actually, Patti, I did almost exactly what you suggested, to see if my photo had been downsized, but rather than copy the image to my desktop I saved it to my disk ... that saved image in PhotoShop, it was exactly the same size as the one I saved and posted ... but here's my scientific observation, and I don't know what the significance might be ... for instance, when I view the picture above, "More Christmas Tree Lane," on my computer, using the Windows filmstrip directoty option, it says that picture is 284 KB, the same thing the info says after its posted on DG (which I verified by right-clicking, etc); when I go to open the picture in PhotoShop, at the directory level, it tells me the picture is 247.8 KB, but when the picture is open in PhotoShop the picture size is listed as 1.66 MB ... now, someone might have to explain the reasons for those discrepancies to me ...

edit: our comments crossed in cyberspace!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2011 5:09 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from Jubilada :
Actually, Patti, I did almost exactly what you suggested, to see if my photo had been downsized, but rather than copy the image to my desktop I saved it to my disk ... that saved image in PhotoShop, it was exactly the same size as the one I saved and posted ... but here's my scientific observation, and I don't know what the significance might be ... for instance, when I view the picture above, "More Christmas Tree Lane," on my computer, using the Windows filmstrip directoty option, it says that picture is 284 KB, the same thing the info says after its posted on DG (which I verified by right-clicking, etc); when I go to open the picture in PhotoShop, at the directory level, it tells me the picture is 247.8 KB, but when the picture is open in PhotoShop the picture size is listed as 1.66 MB ... now, someone might have to explain the reasons for those discrepancies to me ...

edit: our comments crossed in cyberspace!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2011 5:09 PM

Where are you seeing the 1.66 MB? If you are seeing it in either the lower left corner of your image under the Document Size dropdown or if you are seeing it in the Image Size dialog box at the very top where it says, "Pixel Dimensions", that isn't really the size of the jpeg file. That is (for some really strange reason that I don't understand) an estimation of what the size of the document would be in megabytes (MB) if it were saved as an uncompressed file (TIF, for example). If you use, File > Save As and pick JPEG, then the dialog box will tell you the actual size that you will be saving the photo depending on what quality you use. It will be a lot less because of the compression. When I copy your "More Christmas Tree Lane" photo to my desktop and look at it in Photoshop, I see the 1.66M which is just an estimation as above. When I do a File > Save As and pick JPEG, it will range from around 60 to 450 KB with around 150 KB for a medium compression (5).

Make sense?

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's where I see the 1.66 MB ... and that's an estimation? So if I saved it as a TIFF file it would truly be 1.66MB? But as a JPEG it's really only 284 KB. Honestly, I don't understand this ... I do use, incidentally, the maximum resolution JPEG (12) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Whoosh! Jubilada, I'm liking every one of those -- even the screen shot! There's so much fun in them. So much dancing light! I'm hearing Bing singing "White Christmas" in the other room right now and looking at these and it's just great!

Memphis, TN

My offerings for tonight aren't the least bit Christmassy......it was a beautiful day out and the clouds were so interesting. When I started looking at my pictures later, they really fell short of what I actually saw out there so I ended up "playing" with them.

Here's a Picnik HDR-ish one for starters.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2011 9:53 PM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

This one has been Picnikked and PSE'd.

Memphis, TN

This one, too...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Whoosh, indeed, Miss Mary ... you are truly in the creative zone! Great stuff! Wow and wow! But I have to say, that first one, of the clouds, is one of my faves ... gorgeous job you did with that!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from Jubilada :
Here's where I see the 1.66 MB ... and that's an estimation? So if I saved it as a TIFF file it would truly be 1.66MB? But as a JPEG it's really only 284 KB. Honestly, I don't understand this ... I do use, incidentally, the maximum resolution JPEG (12) ...

Yep. That's close to what it would be as a TIF. To know the file size, you just do a right click and Properties and that's the file size. Or look in the detailed list in the folder where you have it and the file size will be there too. Don't feel alone. I don't understand it either. It doesn't make any sense.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary, Very cool stuff! Ditto what Jubilada said. I'm loving those clouds! I think there's an escalator to the pearly gates in that shot. Interesting pattern in #2 and that last one is so wild with the star and the rays streaking out. Very artistic!

Memphis, TN

Well, this picture was taken looking.straight up. I've seen two "pictures" in those clouds. What do you see? Patti, I'll be looking forward to what you come up with. You tend to see things when I don't.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Miss Mary, what fun! I love to look at clouds and find hidden objects. I am a little bit concerned about that teddy bear. What is he going to do with that poor little yellow duck? I hope he's rescuing it from the coyote over there on the left. (No, I don't really see a coyote. ^_^ )

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Patti, that's priceless!!!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, you guys! With your heads in the clouds! Very cute!

Here's a collage from me today ... some things I saw on my walk ... doors and a window!

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Now you may think I waste all my time doing stuff like this ... not true, only part of it ... I have many other ways to waste time ...

Got our tree yesterday, and I decorated it this a.m.

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Of course, I had to zoom it ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Then I decided to experiment some, zooming one of my favorite ornaments ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

... and again ... (plenty of manipulation here)

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

... once again ... (more manipulation) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

... and finally (just processed in raw) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

The images on the windows and doors collage are all interesting compositions! I especially like the one of the window with the ornaments hanging in the nearby tree.

Your zoom experiments made me smile. What fun!

Memphis, TN

Super glitzy, Jubilada -- what an electrifying look you achieved! Beautiful tree, by the way.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Miss Mary, the tree is a Grand Fir, and it's from southern Washington State ... the aroma is delightful and fills the house. The cats are beside themselves, and Consuelo insists on ingesting those needles and then throwing them up ... ugh! (Actually, she's kind of getting over that by now, thank heavens!)

Memphis, TN

I'll bet Christmas is the kitties' favorite time of year! Poor Consuelo (and poor you!).

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Didn't have time to finish any of my photo projects since I've spent so much time training my replacement at work. I'll have lots of time starting in January, so maybe I can make a 2013 calendar.

Thanks to MIss Mary, I did have time to do a quick ( took about 5 minutes) Christmas card using the Picture Collage Maker software. Sending it to family today by e-mail. Normally I take a special photo, spend hours editing it, have it printed and snail mail it out. Not going to happen this year.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

That's very nice, Patti!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.