Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trash to Treasure: Blanket chest-bench combo

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 32, Views: 419
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

December 13, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8927822

This is bench #22

Thumbnail by ifantail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 13, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8928540

I like that! Great art .
J2222
Southern California, CA

December 14, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8929397

Lovely bench, eagerly awaiting # 23!!

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

December 14, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8929798

Thanks 2, I'm working one now for my grandaughter.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2011 7:29 PM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8929986

That does look great!!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8932701

you have done it again ... love it !!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 17, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8932875

Give us some details on how you made it and with what , a baby bed frame ?

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

December 17, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8933054

Hi Digger,The back is a twin bed head board, the arm restsare the foot board cut in half,I shortened the sides because they too tall,the front & sides are 1/4" bead board glued to 3/8 th.plywood,bottom & back are 1/2" plywood, I lined the inside with some yard sale"Pergo" oak flooring,for the hinged seat I padded & covered a piece of 3/8 plywood, the 3 pieces of scroll work I bought at Lowe's. This sucker weighs about 75 lbs.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 17, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8933086

Thanks a bunches . I can go from there . I sure like yours .
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9040587

@ifantail ~ I just happened upon this thread and saw the photo you posted for "Bench # 22" ~ where can I find the other photos of the previous benches you made? I'm a DIYer myself and copied down the brief instructions you gave to the other person. This is something I'd like to make for my place once I get some more of my house organized. Not to mention, this will also provide more storage which my mobile home lacks. I have to get very creative with what storage spaces I do have. That bench is really nice. Are the other benches that you made similar to this one and the instructions you provided?

I'll check back in to see if there are any more comments to this item. Thank alot!

Jennie

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

March 13, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9041334

Jennie, there are no 2 alike, I have posted most of them on this site,just keep scrolling down.

>

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 3:24 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9041926

One of the things we did to increase storage in our mobile home back in Boise Idaho was take out the shallow little shelves over the washer and dryer and put in DEEP open shelves. Added a shelf up HIGH in the closet above the door, added a shelf over the kitchen cabinets (Sweetie made it of plywood and faced it and trimmed it out, looked GREAT!). Added a cabinet over the toliet. Took out the skinny-little-not-gonna-fit-my-buns-shower and turned it into a BIG custom cabinet. Properly enclosed the Garden tub to double as a shower enclosure - got really spoiled with all that room! If you have never had a pot rack, you would be surprised at how much extra cabinet space that frees up. We put our pot rack up over the sink. I'd never had one so was pleasantly surprised at much I liked it! Getting a tip out drawer that is attached behind the "fake front" in the kitchen and bathroom sinks also adds a great organizing help/space.

Any of those ideas help? Oh ya... we also put our bed on a waterbed platform with drawers to eliminate the need for a dressor in our bedroom. Bookcase headboard... LOL!
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9058755

Hi Pat [psychw2] ! I've been working on the storage solution for the hallway bathroom to start with. After the bathroom was totally redone ~ new garden tub / shower combo; pedestal sink; ceramic tile floors & new mirror that I made myself [open picture frame that I painted & then put in mirror]. I bought an over the toilet space saver that I'll buy a few baskets for to keep the "necessities" in. I have a few decorations on the very top shelf, but that's it. All I have to do with that thing now is to achor it to the wall. I've got to tackle my projects one at a time to see any progress being made.

Pat, thanks for the ideas, will keep them in mind as I get more organizing done! Have a great week! :)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9059029

We hope someday to ADD a bathroom and unfortunately that will mean taking out some storage to be able to carve out the room for the 1/2 bath. Having ONLY ONE bathroom is the pits! LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 27, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9059247

Nix on ONE bath . Everyone wants it at the same time . UGH!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9059788

YEP! and when I gotta go, I GOTTA GO!! LOL

We actually have a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom rambler but we converted the LARGE bedroom & other bath into a rental studio apartment. I REALLY miss our nice Master Bathroom we had in Boise.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9076552

@ digger and psychw2 ~ Oh yeah, I do know what you mean about having the need for 2 bathrooms. That was one of my first questions when I met with my Real Estate lady that I talked to about looking for a mobile home. I know I should have looked at more, but given the living situation I was in, I didn't have that luxury. The first one that I looked at [and subsequently bought] was a double-wide, 2 bedrooms with 1 1/2 baths. The inside had been painted all white [to help sell] and the outside color was a shade of green that I liked, since I'm painting with colors along the "southwest" color theme. My actual decorating theme is "eclectic" but not gaudy. I've been busy with several art shows recently with my photography, so I've been behind on several of my projects. Now that all, but one, are behind me, I can start working on my place again. I'm doing all this work myself, since there is no "honey" in the picture; but I had a good teacher when I started with my projects. Now that my 'teacher' is gone, I have to rely on a HD 1-2-3 book for the "how-to" for repairs. Having good tools helps too! Y'all have a nice week!

Jennie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 10, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9076847

I find that a lot of those books show them using a nail gun or hammering in nails . NOT on most of my projects .All decks are made with screws , so that they are stronger and wood can be replaced when needed . We do all of our stuff ourselves because if we try to hire someone , the first thing I ask is if they toenail in boards . If the ans is yes , I look elsewhere . I have three mobile homes and I took down all the strips that hide the seams on the walls , grouted them in ,prime and either made my wall paper out of craft paper or textured in a southwest theme before painting. All the window trim out and replaced with 1x2 framing , same for baseboards , except used 1x3's rounded with router or cove mold on top .
Just a start for suggestions .One bathroom was shingled with cedar shingles four foot up from the floor . All cut at different lengths and finished with poly to keep down the dust .Craft paper on top and dry brushed with several paint colors , then poly on that with a chair rail to separate .
Don't mean to hijack the thread , so will shut up . I love changing stuff and you will never get through , but good luck and be patient , you will enjoy the end result
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9084323

Hi digger9083! Wow ~~ nice to meet some other folks on here who own a mobile home besides myself. Hahaha!! Want to come do my windows? LOL!! I also plan on replacing the windows on this place too. I've had several companies come out & give me estimates. So far Home Depot looks like they may get the job when I start working again. Since that's something I've never tackled, I want to have someone do it that knows what they're doing. I had my hallway bathroom completely remodeled in June 2010 by my plumber, his Dad & brother. My plumber had come to fix a leaky bathroom faucet & that's how we started talking about the "remodel" job. I watched everything they were doing, so now I'm doing the same thing with my back bathroom attached to my bedroom. Also adding my personal touch to it as well.

I've got plenty of ceramic tile left over and just may have some more backer board cut for the flooring part as I still have a huge piece left over from the first bathroom job. I've done some of the painting in there already, when I had the toilet off to replace the washer between tank & bowl. I've got all my items I need for this job in a bag in there. I ripped out the old medicine cabinet a few months ago & now trying to trim down the wood so I can patch it up. [See attached photo]. I'm doing a surface mount cabinet, so still looking around for one that I like.
You mentioned taking off the "strips" that cover the seams ~ would I also be able to just apply a thin amount of "spackle" or a small amount of 'sandable' grout between the seams? As you can see from the attached photo, I've already taken off the "strips," but haven't got that far with covering them yet...was going to wait till I get the hole patched up. Any suggestions you have will be most welcome! Thanks!

Yep, my Daddy taught me well!! I also prefer screws over nails too! :)

Thumbnail by Fleur_2011

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 16, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9084428

Use a utility knife to trim the paneling on top and bottom . gives you a surface to staple your cover to . Good idea to fill hole with insulation for warmth and sound . You can use plain old plaster to fill seams on all your joints ,then sand with a block of wood covered with sandpaper , paint . You can use plain old builders sand added to paint to give a bit of texture . Buying it already mixed in is too expensive .If your paneling has a plastic coating , you need a primer on it first .Remember always , NO wallpaper in a bathroom . The moister will looseing it over time . You can buy burlap , a gallon of Elmers glue , and with it watered down a bit , and push pins to hold it at the top , then apply glue to wall with paint roller (4") and apply as wallpaper . Easy and different . You can vacum the walls when needed , or apply polyurathane to cover walls and keep cleaner , longer .Click on my name and look at the threads I've started . There is one that shows a wall I did with craft paper . It gives instructions for that , and the brand of glue used .Don't remember the exact title of that thread but something about "Another method "
I like moble homes because you can do so much to make them like a stick built house and besides , when you get tired of it , you can sell , have it moved and get another . Hard to do with a house . LOL
More later

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

April 16, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9084637

Why do you want to use a surface mount when you already have a hole for a built -in cabinet? Or did you mean built-in?
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9095486

@ infantail ~ I didn't want to go with another "recessed" medicine cabinet, because the normal "stock" sizes they sell at HD or Lowe's wouldn't fit the opening. I decided on a surface mount for the new one. I'm finding out that when you remodel a mobile home in any way, that no "stock" sized items will fit ~ you almost will have to custom order the piece. I found that out when I remodeled the hallway bathroom. I couldn't find a standard size shower/tub combo that was deep enough to take a bath in, so had to go with a much more expensive garden tub/shower enclosure.

@ digger9083 ~ Nope, no wallpaper for this girl! Or anywhere in my house for that matter! Not that they don't have some pretty papers out now, but just don't find it that appealing. Besides, it reminds me too much of the early 1970's. This back bathroom that I'm working on remodeling doesn't have a shower in there to cause any moisture, it only has the toilet and the vanity/sink combo. It's a 1/2 bath and since it's connected to my bedroom, once it's totally done to my liking then I'll refer to it as my "ensuite." [sp?]. Well gotta get going, been on the computer way too long & should have been in bed hours ago! Hope to hear from y'all soon, till then, have a safe, happy and productive week! Take care!

Jennie
1robin0
Dallas, TX

September 19, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9280733

Hope it's not too late for this thread. Your bench caught my eye right off the bat! I've been using baby beds to make benches for quite some time. I've also used twin and full sized wooden frames as well. Those cheap wooden bunk beds are perfect for this. Cutting down baby beds are a lot more labor intensive, but the results are worth it. Mine look like antiques. I don't have any photos to post right now ,But I'll grt one ASAP. My next project is to work out a pattern for a gazebo made of old screen doors with a corrugated metal roof.

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

September 20, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9280850

1robin0, this it one of the benches I made from a crib.

Thumbnail by ifantail

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9280966

Pictures , Pictures > Howabout showing some of the benches so that we can the frame , with out the cushions ?
Fleur , can you post a coupla pictures ? We'd like to see how the project is going - went ?

ifantail

ifantail
Englewood, FL

September 20, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9281264

Digger the cushion is not a cushion, it's a padded lid to a storage chest which is lined with laminate flooring or tile board or whatever I can find at a garage sale, most of these are used at end of the bed to sit on to pull your socks on or tie your shoes or whatever, the chest is used to store an extra blanket or a change of linnens.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9281336

OK . I have several baby beds . When the resale shop got some new ones donated , it discovered they weren't to be sold , recalled , and the resale shop stacked them out by the dumpster . I was going to use them for trellises . Not so sure now .

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9282653

WOW Digger! You got LUCKY!!! Great find. I LOVE these projects, one of my favorite repurpose projects.
Fleur_2011
Yucaipa, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 18, 2013
3:40 AM

Post #9388884

@ digger9083 ~ I just saw your comment about wanting to see more pics of my "hole in the wall" project. Unfortunately, it's still in the same condition as the photo that I posted on here. I'm glad to say that I haven't sealed it up yet, as I just saw someone else make the suggestion of putting in some insulation into the opening. Good idea! I have some extra insulation left over from when I made my "vent pillow" for the hallway vent that is used in conjunction with my swamp cooler. I've come up with an idea of what to use as a covering, since the previous piece of drywall patch was too thick. I still have to trim down a bit more in certain areas, then I can go buy the covering that I'll use. Everything is 'baby' steps with my projects, unless I happen to "magically" have all the material that I need at once. Haha!! That doesn't happen that often.

Gotta get going...catch y'all later! Have a safe, happy and productive weekend! :)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2013
5:00 PM

Post #9389632

We took the strips off and didn't do anything extra, just painted over. If the small gap/space bothers you, you could caulk it (be sure to get paintable caulk!).
flapjacks

February 11, 2013
2:56 PM

Post #9415821

Ifantail, thats sure a nice chest you made. Anyone would be proud to have it. Great job!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2013
3:59 PM

Post #9415882

Well done!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 11, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9415923

Fleur , I have many projects that aren't even started yet . Join the crowd . LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America