Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Best Pickling Cucumber?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

December 15, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8930624

Hello, I live in Zone 7 and my church friend always makes pickles and relishes for our special community day. They are sold for our church profit. I just asked her what kind of cucumbers I should plant for her, and the response was to "get some of that older kind, that has small seeds and is kinda narrow." So, can anyone help me? If you can't tell me about this type of cucumber, I would surely appreciate recommendations and remember, the cucumbers need to have small seeds. thank you so much!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9023316

I don't know if you ever got this answered somewhere else, but I grow an open-pollinated cucumber called "Picklebush". You can get seeds on the Burpee rack at discount stores or big-box hardware stores. I like it because the cucumbers are smaller, have the traditional "pickle" look, and the vines are smaller and more compact (which makes it easier to cultivate around the plants longer).

David
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9120552

i like sugar crunch
cr0ak
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9167727

I love the Paris Pickling Cucumbers. I dill mostly the small ones (baby), but I've also let them grow larger, then sliced them and made dill pickles slices.

I actually purchased some of those seeds off of eBay. LOL However, the first time I had ever heard of them was when I went to March Mart which is held at the Mercer Arboretum here in the Houston area.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 25, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9180424

There are several varieties of pickling cukes- burpless, bush, Parkseeds shows 3 good ones. Did you get your plants grown and how did they taste?
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 25, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9180813

Yes, after my seeds refused to grow, I got disgusted and felt like I was running out of time so bought 3 "Straight 8's" and they have tiny (today!) cucumbers on them. I guess tomorrow they'll be ready to pick - LOL! Have to say that the vines are especially hearty...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9181510

Straight 8's an old standby, may get you thru, did you ck out the forum for moon gardening on Daves? Helps with seeding days! I also plant several seeds of cukes to my hills, one for Mother Nature, one for the bugs, one for the bees, and two for me, chuckl, cukes will yellow where you touch them( the leaves) so be easy on the handling vines. It isn't too late to plant more
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 26, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9182100

Thanks Kitt!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America