Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: busy day

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 23, Views: 194
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8933844

Decided to make a mushroom, copied one that Fish-Knees had in her garden in 2007.
Wasn't easy to make. but finally got it done. Plan on making a few more in different sizes.
JoAnne

Thumbnail by jcoats123
Click the image for an enlarged view.

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8933952

Glad to see you posting some of your work again! I love seeing the creative ways you interpret designs!! Looks like these would make excellent toad houses.

Fabulous texture!!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2011 10:03 PM

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8933997

That is soooooooo Adorable !!!!!! I would love to have one ...
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8934560

oops, maybe I made a mistake. I tried to find the picture that I got this idea from and cannot find it. It was the year of 2007 so maybe it wasn't from Fishie's yard. Oh well, just wanted to give the right person credit. Hope if I keep looking I will find it.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8934827

GF!
WHERE have you been????? I have missed you!!! PLEASE come back!
deb
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 19, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8935465

What a beautiful mushroom. The cap looks so delicate and real and the texture is great. Did you make it of two different clays or are the two parts just in different stages of drying?
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
8:51 PM

Post #8936446

Hi Annie,
Just one piece of clay. Hope I can fire it without breaking it. Yes, there are two different pieces made two days apart, so that is what you are seeing.I never get too excited tho untill the glaze is on.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 20, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8936966

Well good luck with the firing. Hope you will share another photo when it's finished.

Just found out yesterday that I lost four cats I was planning on giving for Christmas presents. The kiln at class wasn't working right and they were rushing to get last minute holiday projects done so did a combo bisque -glaze firing and ramped up the temperature slowly as not all the greenware pieces were completely dry. But then it's also likely was that I got some small bubbles in where the heads were attached. Won't get to see the pieces for another two weeks but I suspect it was me. Guess I'll have to be more meticulous with attaching multiple pieces of clay together.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2011
11:22 AM

Post #8936999

Hi Momma and Annie,
I have not been on very much recently due to a horrible back. I cannot do anything hardly, except lie down or sit. Beyond that...forget it. I guess surgery in Jan. Can't happen soon enough. Anyhow enough whinning., after that I will probably find something else to whine about.
I know what you mean about air bubbles, been there. Also,, after several of my pieces were damaged in the kiln I decided to get my own and do the firing myself. That took care of that problem. Sometimes people who load the kiln aren't to careful with things. I hate to spend hours, you know what I mean, just to have something break. Very discouraging to say the least.
Ok, have a great pottery day, I want to work on some baking dishes, small of course and fill them with some of my awesome soap that I make. lol Makes nice Christmas gifts. And , it also makes my house smell good while it is curing.Picture of my soap...Pachouli.
Later
JoAnne

Thumbnail by jcoats123

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8938187

Ohhh Joanne!
I am so sorry you are in such pain. I am hoping you get it resolves soon so you can be pain free again!

I know what you mean about giving your pieces to someone else to fire...I LOVE the girls that fired my large pieces but so many times a piece would come back in pieces. NOw that I have my own kiln .. even though it is smaller it gets the job done and my breakage has been cut wayyyyy down.

Ohhh I dot a Bead Rack from The Big Ceramic Store! It is in the kiln now with several pendants and a wind chime piece on it. I got a large one with 7 rods. I'lllet you know how things durn out. I got tired of glazes covering the holes and also of the little nubs on backs of pendant pieces from lying them flat on stilts... I like the fact that the pieces can hang on the rods.

I'lllet you know how it works.
Deb
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 21, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8938618

Joanne so sorry to hear that your having back problems. Perhaps they'll give you some pain 'happy' pills to take in the mean time, but then you have to be very careful that you don't do anything to hurt it further. I had emergency back surgery (at the doc on Tuesday and the hospital on Wednesday) a year ago on 12/8/10 and it immediately took away the pain. Don't put it off if there's any possibility of nerve damage.

As for firing, I bought a used kiln last month and just haven't taken time to clear the area to set it up. Guess I should do it soon so I can do my own firing. I'm being kind of lazy as I have to research how to test fire to make sure it's heating up properly. Too many projects and too little time.

Mommacat11 can't wait to hear how your bead rack works out. I've been thinking about getting one.
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8939338

Bead racks are GREAT---we have one at school that one of the students uses all the time. She's been making beads for about 4 years. You'll love it! Hope you'll post photos...hint hint.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #8954548

Ok kids,
Here is the finnished product.
I am pleased.
JoAnne

Thumbnail by jcoats123

jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #8954567

oops,posted wrong picture. Did not want to show all the junk beside the mushroom.

Thumbnail by jcoats123

mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #8954656

I LOVE IT!!!!! WHat Glaze did you use? It looks like Bluebell or Peacock by AMaco?
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

deb
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

January 5, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #8955353

Very nice! The coloring looks really great with all the texture, very natural, and it will blend in yet stand out. I'll be interested to hear what glazes you used.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8955414

Hi Momma and Annie,
I used for the green, Amaco, Seaweed and Turkish Amber for the brown. Turkish amber is my favorite among browns. So...I brushed green all over the top then I dipped it in the turkish brown. I don't know what co. makes turkish b. I just buy it in 5# bags and add water. Then, I kinda of sprinkled the green over the brown. For the base I just dipped it in TA., then sprinkled the green in places. I was pleased with the way it turned out.
I still have three more to bisque fire and get them done. Oh, for more time..
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

January 5, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #8955606

this is very cute!!! makes me want to go make mushrooms .:)
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #8955891

Love the way it turned out! The way the glaze sets of the texture is perfect. Nice job!
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #8987730

You're mushroom is beautiful, how tall and wide is it? Looks like it's fairly large but I can't tell from the picture. Here's a picture of some mushrooms I made a while ago, I never quite got the stems right on these so stopped making them but they are kinda cute.

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy

Luvmypond
Troy, OH

January 30, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #8987818

Those are cute. Shrooms are in this year. Love the bright colors.
jcoats123
Payson, AZ
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
11:55 PM

Post #9376847

Chrissy, it is big, about fourteen in. high and twelve in. across.
Sorry, I did not see your question until now. That is only a year late.lol
JoAnne
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
3:51 AM

Post #9376891

JoAnne...thanks for the answer, now I can stop waiting by my PC for the answer ...LOL
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9380021

Inspired and I may be a copycat very soon as I would love a big mushroom in our garden. Thanks, Patti

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America