What are you making - Winter 2011-2012?

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230813/

Hard to believe WInter "officially" starts in a couple days followed soon after by Christmas then the New Year. I'm amazed when I look back thru the threads of what we have made this year.
We have lost track of a few quilters/sewers but many new faces have come to sew with us. And occassionally a few show up again.

These on-line friendships are held together thru intertwined "threads". Thru these threads we experience the Quilting Bee of the 2000s. Our stitches are done across the country and across borders. We originally came together because we shared a love of fabrics then found we had much, much more in common.

So, before the next weeks become too crazy, I want to thank each of you for always being there when I needed someone to "talk to" or to show my most recent creations.

And the toast for the New year - May all your seams be a scant 1/4"!!!!

Now, back to sewing.................... What will you be making this winter????

Thumbnail by Qwilter
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Bless you Qwilter and know that we all echo your sentiments. It's been a wonderful year for sewing - we have had fun with our swaps and now we are all rushing through the holidays. I'm wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas or Hannakah or Kwanza or whatever you choose to call this season for yourself and I'm looking forward to another great year with all of you. I'm hoping those who have been away can pop in to say hello and that anyone who has been lurking will feel free to join in with us.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

The wall hanging measures 27 1/2" x 22" wide.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey Jean, how is that tree assembled? It looks like strips with prairie points between the seams? is that right? I LOVE it!

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Jean, so beautifully stated. i would like to add my wishes for the season no matter how you celebrate it. Also a huge "thank you" for being there for me during all the ups and downs with Mom this year--bound by threads is so correct. On my most depressing days, I only have to snuggle with my quilt everyone contributed to and I feel friendship and understanding.

Looking forward to more fun and swaps this coming year. Health and happiness to all!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Ditto what you all said! Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Qwilter, is that pattern available? I love it!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

The pattern is from QLGF, a small quilting company.
If anyone is intereted in the pattern, plse dmail me.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

ditto on all the lovely sentiments..

Frequently my husband will ask me about "what I'm doing, or who I am 'talking' to" and I will tell him, one of my DG friends! It's been a pleasure to get to know all of you better over these past few years.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

My opening page says it all...."Welcome Home" I do feel so very welcome here.
Happy, Merry...Christmas, Kwanzaa, Chanukah. To all my dear friends. A very Blessed New Year.

Youngest (at the moment) great granddaughter Noelle's 1st birthday.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Oh my... look at those blue eyes and eye lashes!!! She is going to break hearts!!! LOL

Sheila brought me Taylor's quilt last night, today's goal is to get it trimmed and sew the binding on. Thank you everyone for the blocks from the winter/Christmas swap. I think it is just lovely and I know Taylor will love the bling. You are the best!

Oh Karen, she is precious!!! Such joy having great grandchildren.

The innocence of children is so very special. Just look at those eyes!!! She is beautiful Karen......

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Karen you are so blessed.

And yes, Merry Christmas to all and A ealthy New Year.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I am ready to start sewing my flannel rag quilt- I made 5" squares- it will be 11x15 squares- 44"x60" The back is black. Here are the squares all laid out -

Thumbnail by JoParrott

That's an interesting layout ... at first I thought it was random, it was the sides that I first noticed the pattern. You are a BRAVE soul! 5 inch blocks, I can't wait to see the finished project, it will be STUNNING!!!

I just finished 9 inch denim and cotton fabric in a random layout for a rag quilt.

It will be very nice Jo, hope you show us when it's done. I really need to make one of these.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

No, it's not random- I just started placing the squares and kept going! I am not disciplined enough to follow a pattern or directions- I have to create my own- that is with just about everything in my life. I really believe the song "I did it my way" was written for me!

Jo, that is going to be very nice! Love those colors!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

I echo what qwilter said. Being a part of DG has been very inspiring for me. Seeing what others are doing and sharing what I've done has been very special for me. I have been encouraged to finish several projects just so I could show them off to you all!! ;-p You have all been very kind and generous and it is so appreciated. I tend to isolate myself so you all have been good for me. Thank you for your friendships and generousity.
May good health and happy quilting be with you all, and may your seam ripper collect dust.

Jo, LOVE your quilt!! Way to go!!!

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Jo..... really love the fabrics. Very handsome quilt.

M&M.. as much as you feel we inspire you, you inspire us. Without the back and forth sharing and advice, I'd never have been motivated for half of what I've done.

Let's face it...We all keep each other motivated. I love quilting but I know I wouldn't have had near as much fun all by myself as I have had in here. The ideas, help, friendship, and encouragement has made all the difference.

This message was edited Dec 20, 2011 6:05 PM

so very true...sew sew true ^_^

And all the wonderful memories we are gathering too. It's been just wonderful to meet you all whether in person or online. There are days you are my only contact with someone other than Norm and I truly do need you all in my life. Thank you so much for always being there!!!! Merry Christmas - Hugs, and Love, Barb

Ditto to all those have stated above.

Merry "Everything" to each and all!! Marion I have been looking thru more of the magazines you sent. Each time I see something else that I want to try!!!

Wishing you all a blessed Christmas and a big thank you for sharing.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

it's always nice to see what others are doing. I like the sparks of ideas it creates.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

OK- Here it is- I couldn't stop stitching until it was finished, and I just love it! It is blacks, white, some grey and 2 pieces with red & tan for color. The back is all black. I got most of the flannel at Joanns on black friday for $1.49 a yard. They sure don't make flannel like in the past-I used 2 pieces from my stash, and they are twice as thick and fuzzy as the new pieces. However, they all fluffed and blossomed quite well.

This message was edited Dec 21, 2011 10:29 PM

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Jo........... I have to say that I've liked many of the Rag Qs seen here before, but I am very much taken with yours. It's really sharp and with just the right amount of color. I'll admit that I can see that in the rows, to my eye, you've worked from middle out in the repeat for mirroring to the center, but I can't see a pattern that you used from row to row, though the rows themselves seem to mirror as well. As I said, it's very sharp. It's a bit more masculine, but not too, and not flowery, which really attracts my eye. Great job.

That is beautiful!

Love it Jo, but then I'm a huge fan of black & white especially with a touch of red. You are so right, there is a huge variety in the quality of flannels.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

FlStu- I didn't have a *pattern*- I used odd numbers of rows both ways so there would be a central square (11x15), then worked from the center out in both directions. Each of the 4 quadrants is mirrored. My only criteria was to be appealing to my eye- that is how I work whatever I am creating. It has to be mine, not someone else's!

very nice :)

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jo... guess I didn't mean pattern as in written instructions, but, rather, the pattern of how you structured the order of the squares. For example, when I did my rag Q, I used an odd # of blocks per row and the number of rows were more than the number of blocks in the row to make a rectangle. I moved over the block order by one within a set repeat of colors to produce diagonal lines. I realized after I wrote the note that you worked not only from the center block out to either end in a row, but also worked the rows from the cneter of the quilt out to mirror the rows equidistant fro the center. I like the effect.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 4:22 PM

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the compliments--

Just finished with these scarves for my daughters mother and father-in -law. They came out pretty good.....Hope they like them.

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.