CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8934076

Came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1173570/

The weather here is frosty most nights. Low temps up and down between 25 to 44. Few snow flurries already this year. The hardest winter in my area is in Feb when the temps drop to 5 degrees off and on.

The house construction is kinda slow these days. Winter brings less income. Most of the outside siding is on. The deck has been lowered but not level yet. Hubby really hates the deck leveling job and has put is off until I scream to have it done. He asked what did I want for Christmas and I said a level deck and that didn't go over too well. Sigh.

Several pictures to show.

first= the outside of the house. Three more sheets of siding to complete the front of the house siding...the back is complete. The ends on the second story need a few more sheets. I still cannot make up my mind on what color to paint the house. rolling my eyes.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8934083

Instead of using the small used wood burning heater, we bought one just like it but a little bigger.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
5:41 AM

Post #8934087

Someone gave us some lynolium tile and it was enough to cover the livingroom, dinning room and kitchen floor. It's not what I really want but I can mop the floor now.
But since the floor was still a subfloor and osb board, I had to sand the floor before I could lay the tiles. I used liquid nail to lay the tiles==even though the liquid nail said not to use with lynolium tiles... It always worked in the past and this is temporary for a few years.

(show me= sand the floor)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8934089

Roughly 600 tiles.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8934091

Good progress... thanks for the update!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8934096

The stair way was closed in with insulation black board = because in the future we will keep the upstairs closed off when the kids are grown and gone.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8934099

I hung my skillets and what have ya on the kitchen side of the stair case wall. It's not all my skillets and cast irons but most of it. I can't hang it all right now cause the black board will not hold the weight. These are hanging on the wall studs. Later when I put up the wood wall panels, it can handle the weight of the smaller cast irons. There is a few antique strainers on the wall too. (looking for cast iron serving utensils )

edited= the shelf is temporary and that is where a future cabinet and counter top will be.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 8:03 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8934101

bathroom floor tile= also given to me.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8934107

The bathroom window = looks like colored glass but its not. It is a sheet of plastic that you put on the window to make it look like colored glass.
You can't see out and no one can see in. they sell it at home depot where you find the blinds for windows... The part of the window that you cannot see is the top section of the window and it does not have the plastic art window covering so I can look out if I need to but high enough off the ground that no one can look in.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8934113

The front door has a little glass art too. stones. You can't see it very well in the picture but it looks better in person. My son used this design on one of his windows and had some left overs and i cut it up and used it like this on the front door. We can't find anymore of this design to finish the window yet.

edited= the plastic glass art is not glue on. You just wet the window and stick it on and it stays. I like it.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 8:18 AM

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8934150

I like it too! Looks like you have made great progress in spite of everything! And it looks like you have made it your home. Very nice.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 18, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8934338

Wow! Great work, I'm very impressed.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8934427

I love how you take odds & ends and make it work, even if it IS "just for now."
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8934661

Wow! Everything looks so nice. I LOVE the bathroom window. And lucky you to score all that tile. You go, girl!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

December 18, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8934727

Awsome progress
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8935315

Great progress!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8935514

ty ty ty ty

Went Flea Marketing yesterday. I bought an Amber blackberry dish. (I collect amber). I have never seen one like this. I just had to have it for only $2.75
The outside of the bowl has the impression of the leaves and the blackberries. Love it.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2011 11:31 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8935517

and I couldn't help myself when I found a full size Cast Iron Griddle

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8935519

And the cast iron bread stick pan.
Found a cast iron spoon too.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

December 19, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8935771

Cool!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2011
1:05 PM

Post #8935790

Love the breadstick pan!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 19, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8935793

Beautiful house.
We did the same thing, make do until money was there for final things.
We still have OSB floors in three rooms. Some day!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8936798

I struggled and changed my mind several times on the color for the house. I like earthy colors but I like pastels too. I wanted a color that would match the design of the house...barn...but I didnt like how dark that would be. Then I thought tan but that is so blah and very common. I didn't want Doll House colors cause it is a barn style house...but I REALLY like Sweet Pea which is a tad darker than pastel green. I am 99.99 percent sure this will be the color with white doors, white trim, white shutters.

to give you an idea of the color, I have an Old Picture of some cabinets that was in the home that burned. They were Sweet Pea green.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8938353

I have never seen a breadstick pan before. I have one of those corn stick pans if my son didn't nab it while back. Come to think of it, I have not seen it in a while. Not that I ever used it. LOL

Nice color. I'm not a pastel person myself. I'd go more for sage green. But I know you feel good about almost deciding on a color. Isn't that more than half the battle? LOL
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8939783

I went with pastel softer color cause the summers are also dreadfully hot and I was hoping a lighter color would be cooler in the house. I like sage too but I love sweet pea.. I can't paint until March or April. Need a few warm sunny days so the paint bonds well.
NO NO =feeling good about a color is not half the battle. The large part of the battle is not changing my mind cause there is so much time to think about it. But me and hubby been talking about it for a couple of months and sweet pea is one color I can't seem to shake off my mind.
Hubby's occupation for 22 years has been a Painter. Color decks everywhere and so many pretty colors to choose from. It will most likely take 15 gallons to paint two coats of the main color. 5 gallons on trim and doors. etc. ($550)

We didn't have the money to put insulation on the inside of the walls before winter hit. We are being guinea pigs and trying out the black board insulation on the windy end of the house inside. The bathroom is complete and only has black board insulation inside and out, the exterior siding and the wood interior siding and it holds the heat in very well surprisingly, But the temps havent been low for a long time yet either.\
There is no insulation upstairs yet. It has to be the R30 in the roof ceiling and that is a Spring project. It's gonna cost out the yang yang.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2011
10:21 PM

Post #8940122

We ran across a product many years ago when it first came on the market. In fact, we were going to be distributors for the product but it didn't work out. It was bubble wrap sandwiched between foil. It was amazing how well it worked. It was called astrofoil, I think. They sent us a good sized roll of it and we put it in our windows for winter and in the big picture window in summer to keep out the heat from the afternoon sun. It was amazing. If we ever do build us a house we will definitely go with that product.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 23, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8940259

So much goofy information on insulating.
Our house has R-11 fiberglass in the walls. Use the unfaced stuff, it's lowest price, too. It fits perfectly in between the studs. Make sure there are no open spots. Cover this with plastic sheeting, then your wall covering, drywall, etc.
For the ceiling use the blow in cellulose. We put it about 14" thick here. R-40. It gets all the corners filled so there is no heat lose anywhere.
Our heating costs are very low & didn't need the air conditioner much last summer even with an extra hot summer.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8940556

The entire upstairs is second story Gambrel roof. the roof was built with 2x6s. There is no attic to the second story roof. I need to insulate between those 2x6s with the best method / materials possible. I don't think I can use the blow insulation.

Old pic of upstairs roof/ceiling construction.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 23, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8940892

Use the 6" thick fiberglass, no paper on it. That is R-19. Should keep you real snugly! Cover with plastic before you sheet rock it.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8942009

see- i thought it was r 30 for the 2x6s. got my numbers wrong. and I will remember the plastic. thanks for the idea suggestion ...

Merry Christmas Everyone.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8942512

Merry Christmas to you, Cricket!!! How nice to be spending the first one in a home that you built with your own hands.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8942686

Just my 2 cents, but I like the color you picked! It's hard to see the exact color online from a picture you took, but I have always liked that color. I'd probably go a bit darker in the same color and I like your idea of white trim too. Can't wait to see it done one day. Love following along on your journey! I bet if you gave your mailing address, you'd get some donations just so we could see you get things done faster LOL!! Janet in W Houston
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8943728

Somebody was changing out their bathroom sink and base cabinet on one of hubbys jobs. We got the used one. I wanted oak but right now my name is Jimmie and I'll take whatcha gimmie... :)

ill post a pic later.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8943774

It was nice spending Christmas in our new home. It was a nice Christmas too. I got a hatchet and a small canister Rigid Shop Vac on wheels (wet/dry) And a sewing machine.

Thanks for following along everyone. It helps having others to talk to about decisions, plans, and ideas. Friends make the world go round.

time to stoke the fire and head to bed. It has been a long day. We Moved the shed today that we called home for 6 months. I can now move all the greenhouse supplies back into the shed and organize everything. Life is not boring.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8944003

I was too tired to think about details last night. Hubby thought he could lift the shed with a boom lift yesterday and the weight of the shed folded the boom lift which caused the shed to shift positions. Then when I said watch out for that satelite dish= you know that was the first thing he would hit. The he drug the shed over the water pipe and sewer pipe that were right next to the house and busted it all. We are suppose to cover those pipes with soil but haven't done it yet. He got it out of its cubby hole eventually and this is where it ended up. In front of the main greenhouse waiting for all the supplies/ inventory to be organized. I have containers sitting everywhere and lost a lot too cause most was sitting in the greenhouse during the hottest part of the summer which caused the containers to warp from the heat. Anyway= I have a big job ahead of me on top of having to sow seeds and get ready for spring sales.
Speaking of greenhouses. The business is called Crickets Greenhouse. Cricket is my nickname. My Home will be painted a green shade which is right here with the greenhouses. Cricket's Green House. ha. It crossed my mind last night that it goes together.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2011 8:48 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8944010

The bathroom sink. Doesn't have plumbing yet. We are suppose to have two bathrooms. The laundry room is the other bathroom. The bathroom shower and toilet that was in the shed is suppose to go in the laundry room which is next to my bathroom that we just put the sink in. We wanted to put the shower and toilet in place before we ran the plumbing to the sink so we could do it all at once. Time consuming details.
No telling when that will get done. blah blah

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8944029

Hey... it's clean and will function; what more do you need for now? Love the porcelain on the faucet handles.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8944136

What we gonna do here is= cut the top of my head off...etc...

The plan is to use this sink in my bath til I can afford to have the one I want--which is actually an Oak kitchen base cabinet and a kitchen sink with a high rise facet. When I buy those then I can take this sink and put it in the other bathroom. wala.

Other issues in the house is= when we put the cast iron wood burner in, we ran the pipe up and out the side wall. This is causing a wind draft to push smoke into the house on windy days. It works fine as long as the wind is not blowing which isn't very often during the seasonal weather change. We are currently working on running the pipe up through the second story floor and up through the roof top the way it is suppose to be done. ug. Trying to get this done before the coldest winter hits..which is just around the corner.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8944249

Don't burn the place down with that wood stove. You should have a chimney to make it work right.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8944313

I like the sink. And you can't beat free!!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #8952351

Free is really nice! I guess that you could paint the cupboard an accent color that would work anywhere in the house if you really hate the all-white look. I think zero-dollar stuff looks beautiful...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #8954051

We got our wood burner smoke pipe up and out the roof and it works like a charm. Amazing difference.
And the pipe going through the second story helped heat the upstairs too.===no worries= it will have a lattice wall around it to prevent
the babies from touching or falling into it.(soon)

I do want to make the bathroom sink look more country. Did you know you can buy a wood stain gel (applied over a special base coat) and use a wood grain trowel and make flat painted surfaces look like natural wood grain? Yep... It takes a little practice and know how and we have both experiences.
Hubby wants to make the white metal exterior doors look like wood grain too...all a spring project
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #8954984

My SIL did that with an ugly side table. She painted it yellow, wood grained it brown, stained it reddish and then with black stain to make it look like mahogany. She may have done even more layers than that but it looked like she had traded it for a mahogany table ☺
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #8966379

My husband is friends with a man who owns Lighting and Lamp company. He has been paying on a light fixture for my birthday for 12 months.

I collect amberware and the globes(votive cups) for this light fixture is like a Light colored somewhat tortoise shell amber and shaped similar to a calla lily

currently it is installed on the black board wall siding...it will look better when we put the wood siding on the walls.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012 3:07 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #8966384

kinda like a cala lily but more like that---um--dutch something another flower. lol

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #8966385

another view

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #8966388

another

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #8966391

cant tell much with it lit ...bad camera.

15 lights.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8966396

dutchmans pitcher?

purdy==what ever it is.
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #8966411

Beautiful!! You caught yourself a good one!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #8966655

This ceiling fan was thrown away by one of charles' customers because it needed screws.
We bought all the screws for it. Hubby put it together and there was two wires that he didn't know what to do with. The upper globe is a dim light and comes on seperate from the lower globe votives. One problem. The fan doesn't want to turn until you give it a little push.
Is it salvageable?. I never heard of a ceiling fan repair shop.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #8967003

That light is beautiful! Your DH sure did good☺
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 14, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #8967308

Once going, does the fan make a noise?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #8967464

nope

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #8967614

It's amazing what people throw away! We got a nice double camp chair because it needed a few screws!
I just asked my engineer hubby about getting the fan to turn. He said he doesn't think there's anything you can do. Keep a long stick handy to get it going. LOL! That's a very pretty fan and wall fixture. Way to go!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #8968078

LOL...I am tall enough that I don't need a stick. I said the light was so pretty, who needs the fan?

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #8968148

I agree. My mouth dropped when I saw your salvaged fan!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #8968297

Free is always good and extra good when it is pretty.

Cricket ~ do you know if it originally had a remote with it to turn the fan on?

Usually the reason a fan won't start is the capacitor which is sometimes built into the fan motor, sometimes it is separate and could be replaced.

But for you to be able to start it manually makes me wonder... have you taken it apart to see if there is any loose wiring?

Cool birthday present too! What a thoughtful husband you have. A belated Happy Birthday.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #8968412

hubby did not look into the actual fan motor casing...just the initial wiring. He knows nothing at all about electronic and small motor wiring and wouldn't know what he was looking at , except a ball of copper, even if he tried so He/ we didn't think to look inside for loose wiring.. As far as we know= it is not a remote. I even thought about using a motor from another fan but that will be next to impossible with my knowledge cause = well,,I don't know what I am doing and also the motor casing has controls for two sets of lights and I have never seen a fan with two sets of lights like this...so it might be hard to rig. The Fan and light is used...was taken down...the screws were lost ...so I don't know how long it was stored away either. Wonder if I should spray the fan ????? housing???? thinga ma flangie with some W-D... OH anyway... I am sure I won't stop thinking about it until I know for a fact that it can or cannot be repaired.

the belated happy birthday being a year later comes just before this years birthday= Feb 9. But thats cheating and I want a new birthday gift...aren't I greedy? lol.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #8968434

LOL ~ who knows what surprise he'll have in store for your next birthday. Sounds like he is good at spoiling you. 8 )

I wouldn't use WD 40 on it. I think only the part where the blades turn would need oil. When you turn the fan on, do you hear the motor hum like it is trying to start? Does it reverse and have you tried it both directions?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #8969264

well. Like all husbands, they tend to be a @!&% sometimes.

The sad truth to it all.
Ok...here goes...on the day that hubby installed the fan , he checked to see if the motor would turn before he put the blades on it and he had to give it a push to get it going but I was not sitting there when he did this but my sister was...They both said the motor was turning if you help start it...I wasn't there when he actually put the blades on either. I was there after he got the lights on it and told me about the motor issue. I thought they knew what they were talking about...
So I did ask the other day if the motor made a noise or a racket. Hubby said no. which is the answer i gave here.
Tonight when you asked = when you turn the fan on , do you hear the mo tor hum like it is trying to start...I went to the kitchen and turned it on myself to hear the motor. I heard nothing. I gave it a push and it slowed down to nothing. I saw that it wasn't even balanced up there. The blades are rubbing against the rim...off set to one side...one side scrubs and the other side does not... So I started asking hubby questions = like====ummm when you gave this fan motor a push to get it going, could you hear the motor running? He said no. It was quiet. So, you never heard the motor run? NO I didn't...he was getting irate with me and started acting like he was offended that I was asking questions and said the motor doesnt work. The fan is no good. (rudely) I said ok. What made you think the motor was running when you pushed the blades and they turned? He said he didn't try it after the blades were on...he only tried it when the blades were off. I threw my hands up and walked away saying,,,you just made me look retarded. I feel retarded. The end . rofl.
He is upset with me. He doesn't want to bothered with it. I guess I need to take a crash course about ceiling fans...find the time to take it down piece by piece and figure it out...what if the fan itself can never be used? So sad.
Let me tell ya a secret...If I start doing something that I have no idea what I am doing, hubby will jump in and help... I been doing that for years.
No the motor does not hum. It does not turn on it's own.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #8969364

LOL Cricket ~ that makes me laugh. Don't feel retarded... and your husband is NOT upset with you. How retarded do you think he feels knowing that he went to the trouble to assemble and install it. I'd bet he is upset with himself.

[quote] Let me tell ya a secret...If I start doing something that I have no idea what I am doing, hubby will jump in and help... I been doing that for years. [/quote] and that sounds like my house. For years I would do that to jumpstart my husband. Now with age and health issues, I find myself doing more than I want to.

Today I went to use a new woodsplitter he thought I needed. Well, the young man that helps us sometimes assembled it and the ram is in a bind. Now, I need to find the paperwork and see if I can figure out what he did wrong. Just one more project. My patience does wear thin...

Just don't send a man to do a womans' job ~ lol
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #8969598

rofl

I googled ceiling fan motors...read about parts that can be ordered and replaced which is mostly two parts...the capacitor and the motor and read how to know which one needs to be replaced. Then I watched a few Youtubes about ceiling fan motors so I won't be completely lost when it is time to open this ceiling fan up and disect it. And I will be finding out if the Lighting and Lamp company can order the motor for me.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #8969608

Best of luck with it. It is attractive but one caution. New ceiling fans can be cheaper than the parts and effort to repair.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #8969612

Yes mam. google said the same thing. It would be such a shame to throw away this ceiling fan. I even tried finding one just like it on google but no luck. For a motor with 3 speeds and reverse, it might cost about $100 for a motor. Most capacitors cost about $50. give or take.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #8970207

That may be why the person was getting rid of it? It is a very nice looking fan.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #8970387

Lighting and Lamp said I would be better off getting another Fan.
so===as pretty as it is, this is what im gonna do.
when I find a dinning room ceiling fan light that I am happy with,,which is gonna be hard comparing it to this one, I will take this one down and
put it over the kitchen sink without the fan blades...just a light. why not?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #8970410

Fair enough! Does the top glass part of it light up also?

It really is pretty... I'd agree, why not !?!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #8970444

yes. the upper light works. It is a dim light= like a night light and uses the small bulbs.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #8970571

How cool ~ hope to see a photo when you install it as a light fixture.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2012 8:05 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #8970644

ok...well...until then...picture this with no blades.

this is the upper globe dim light.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #8970645

pretend the blades are not there.

upper globe and lower 4 lights on

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #8970646

Lower lights only on

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #8970654

I am so glad we have a wood burning heater.
We have an electric heat unit too . It comes on when the wood burns out in the wood burner cause we were too
lazy to wake up and fill the heater.
Guess what? The heating coils are not heating correctly in the electric heat unit.
It's gonna get cold tomorrow night...25ish. and the next night too. Burr
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #8970669

In the words of my Daddy's wise old uncle Horace, "Pull up another dog". LOL
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

January 20, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #8975442

LOL good one Cajun...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #8984041

Uncle Horace was a card. He lived with his sister, Mae. They had more dogs than the law allowed and the dogs ate better than they did. They were both characters.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #8984761

Construction is on hold. Working on Plant and produce sales for Spring so I can afford to do more construction.

Spring is around the corner and I am so far behind, I thought I was first.

We have two dogs. One is too many. @ @
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #8984771

[quote="CricketsGarden"]Construction is on hold. Working on Plant and produce sales for Spring so I can afford to do more construction.[/quote]

Too good!

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #8984785

That is a sensible approach that will pay off in the end.

We have 2 dogs also. We lost our schnoxer pup a few months ago. He went up to the road and a coal truck got him. He was a very good ratter. Now we have the 4yo guard dog that is a boxer/bullmastiff/german shepherd mix and my best bud border collie that will be 14 in the spring. He has been with me through thick and thin and I hope he lives to be 100.
demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #8985583

Hi Cricket,
I am Liz and new here. Found your post and had to give it a read. All I can say is
Wow, what a busy place.
The home is comming along beautifully . The birthday gift light is just incredible. Thank you for sharring your journey here .
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8985715

Hey Liz. I am glad you enjoyed it. It is busy most of the time but I enjoy the Fall months. That is my time off. After Christmas everything starts rolling again. You would think Winter was my time off but it's not cause I spend most of the winter sowing and growing seedlings by the thousands and thousands. and more thousands.

I am sooooooo impatient. I want to paint the house Now. But I must wait. :( And I want some gutters! I need to paint all the bare wood before we put on the facial board that the gutters get connected to... Impatiently waiting for warm weather. March? ish
demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #8986720

Been there, I feel for you deeply! Lol. Can't wait to see your progress. We are also stuck waiting on warm weather.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #8987013

As usual , tossing things around trying to make things work to my liking.

We went to Home Depot today and they had some ceiling fans on sale. Their orignal price was 49.95 and we bought two for 15.oo each. They are white. The gold grape fan blades on the damaged ceiling fan fits the new ceiling fan. We are switching out the blades and going to move the other light to the kitchen sink with no blades. I had no plans of doing this right now but couldn't pass up the Sale .
Will post pictures later.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8987267

I love all the bargains you are getting.

When you get the gutters up will you be harvesting rain water?

I am going through my seeds and deciding what I will plant this year. Getting my planting calendar layed out too. My legs have been hurting a good bit the last 2 days so I am taking some down time and putting it to good use.

I am also hosting a seed swap again for my community. I had one last year but the day of the swap turned off cold, windy and wet. Nobody here had ever heard of a seed swap. I wanted to have one for 2 main reasons. 1, I hoped to get some young people to take up gardening and 2, this is a very impoverished area. I hoped to get food on the tables of people who really needed it. I do know of a couple people who got seeds and took up gardening so it was a success on that point. I was suprised that people are asking me to do the swap again so I am glad to do it. Lots of people here on DG were so good to donate to my cause last year and I have lots of those seeds left so I will be trying my best to get folks gardening again this season.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #8987363

Cajun
Yes Yes...can't wait to harvest water again. I use to have barrels on the ends of the home that burned catching water. So Nice. I miss it.
I am sorry your legs are hurting...remind me again what your problem is.

I have arthritis in my knees , back , hands and elbows. (for 20 years now in my knees) I love sunshine!!!!!! I am worse when it rains. Sometimes can't walk. Knees lock up in the middle of the night. The description of pain on a scale from 1 thru 10 and 10 being the worst, the scale is a 15.
Which is why I love container gardening and high raised beds. Your community seed swap is a very nice thing to do. I hope you have lots of progress with it this year.
Our son has a doctors appt Feb 16th about the cyst in his leg bone.

Hubby went to an estate sale yesterday. He bought a 250 gal propane tank for $50
A hand sown quilt for $10. Somebody put a lot of time into it. Not a pretty color...definitely scrap odds and end materials. Some Wool squares too. Bought my son a couch and two chairs, fairly decent for $15. We put them upstairs. He is now set up with his own living room/ game room. If the doctor has to drain and fill the cyst in his leg, we might have to move his bed downstairs for a while.
A lot of things happening right now. Plus the greenhouse business getting ready for spring. Gardening has always been my retreat.

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #8987841

Critter do you still have your nephews living with you too? Sounds like your son has the perfect set up for having friends over!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #8987883

Sorry about your pain. I know the feeling. I hate when it is cold because my muscles hurt so much. Always stressed and in spasm. I have MD. I will be so glad when warmer weather is here to stay. But this winter has been so much better than the last 2.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #8988073

We only have the one nephew here right now but him and his whole family are going to move to Nashville TN area next week. It's going to be a sad week.

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #8988120

I am sorry to hear that. From what you said before they need you. Will there be any family near by to keep an eye on them?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #8988132

Nope. But they will be 3 hours away, give or take.
I told her that no one will be there for her like there is now. No one to give her a break. No where to run to. Notta. Alone.
Her husband is a truck driver and stationed in Nashville and not allowed to bring the truck home.(new enforced existing rules)
demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #8988155

Thoese are great buys. Lucky for you to live in an area where so much is available. We have next to nothing here being such a small town and we are right in the middle so to speak. 160 miles to the south or 140 miles to the north for the closest city of any size.

Cajun, best of luck on your seed swap! Will definetly due the community good. Wanted to get something like that going here with our community garden. Problem is I am 38 miles from town and not realy considered part of the community.
Wanted to find out what was needed to get involved with the farmers market here because it is pathetic. We had 4 venders and they wanted twice as much as the grocery stores. But to do so, I would need some help to get it set up since I have never done the market thing as a vender. Since I am not in the immediat community and won't be working there at the garden site, I don't fit the mold . Thats ok, I am used to that not fitting thing. The food bank will be very happy once all the beds get done and we are solidly producing.

We all suffer together as far as pain goes, the cold causes major problems for Tim and I as well . Not MD here, for me its, Fibro, myafacial pain, degenerative disk, arthritis, mitral valve prolaps, etc.etc.etc.
Can keep track any more Lol...

Cricket, how old is your son again? I know it was a nightmare trying to keep mine down when he fracture both of his knees in a fall. Nothing would keep him still ! Sounds like you have a great set up for yours. Truely hope for all of you that it is easily treated and he is off and on the run again soon.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #8988692

son, Chad is 12 years old. July 4, 1999
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #8988793

Nice 4th. Of July present. I have one on the 5th.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012

Post #8988891

Most everyone cooks out on July 4th. Makes for an easy birthday party.
My other son was born November 25 1988. Sometimes , His birthday lands on Thanksgiving ,

The $15 ceiling fan , blades changed out.
plain votives. I will buy some prettier ones later.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8988895

Baby sat the grandkids today. Made Sonnie a comfy place on the love seat, put in a cartoon= Cars= and he's out like a light switch turning off.
His momma had a doc appt with the o.b.g.y.n. third baby due in May.
I always mock a hyper sleepy child. they make a bunch of noise, yelling, laughing, crying, then they just kinda fall asleep instantly==like turning off a light.

demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #8989210

How cute!
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #8989216

Precious!! My niece 's birthday is the same way sometimes it falls on Thanksgiving and sometime it does not. My 2nd to the youngest has a May 25th birthday and it is the same way with Memorial day. Every so many years his birthday falls on the holiday.
demonshollow
Winnemucca, NV
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #8989235

Desert, my oldest son is the 20th of May and its the same for him as well.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #8989831

The fan looks great and the Kid☺♥☺awww! My DS was like that; run, run, run and konk out!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8989922

My husband bought me a computer desk today. I have been using a folding table. Papers stacked everywhere. hate it.
So here is the desk. used...$35. excellent condition. that press board stuff. wish it was real wood but i can live with this.

Oh===my son Chad looked through the hole in the center of the desk===where you pull the wiring through.
eyeball.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8989923

something came with the desk...
II hope it doesn't offend anyone. Just something funny.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8989924

directions up close

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012

Post #8990222

Desk works, good for you! "Bag" is too funny!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #8990299

Love the bags!! The desk looks like it will work well, and $35 is a great price for one☺
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #8991146

I want a U shape counter tops at the end of the kitchen looking over into the dining room but I have to do this one step at a time.
I bought a 6 ft Oak kitchen base cabinet today and two sheets of Oak plywood.
One sheet of oak was cut to fit the back of the cabinet. Hubby helped with that.
I measured , drew out my design, and cut the counter top out with a jig saw.
I wanted the outer base cabinet to have extra over hang for two bar stools.

here it is...ready to be sanded.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #8991148

so right now it is just an island bar. Later it will have the end base cabinet added to complete the U shape.

the bar end.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8991154

The end where the other cabinet will be added later has a straight edge.

will be stained Golden Oak to match the other cabinets.
the other cabinet base top will be changed to match this one later in Feb.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #8991564

I sanded forever.
Then I sanded some more.
Then I got to put a coat of stain on.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #8991568

I am tired. good nite.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #8991575

And that was a good days' work. Very nice... you deserve a good nite! Sleep tight...
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #8991584

nice.. well..about the fan... sometimes the brushes of the motor get stuck some.. they are a chunk of carbon with a wire attached.. backed up by a spring to push it aganst the rotor of the motor.. if you can get that glass off the motor.. try knocking it hard with a hammer.. that will sometimes free it and allow it to keep working
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=brushes+of+a+motor+ac&hl=en&rlz=1G1SNNTCENUS412&prmd=imvns&resnum=11&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1600&bih=791&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3146471037318309239&sa=X&ei=ISMqT5CxBueK2QWE8LiJDw&ved=0CIQBEPMCMAA
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #8992144

Thanks Gordon. i will give it a try.

Hubby went to Home Depot this morning to get two wooden 2way brackets for the island bar support.
they had a pattern to match the counter top.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #8992145

I been putting on a coat of polyurethane all morning. Even sanded down the dining room table with 400 grit sand paper and put a coat on it too. I never got around to doing the table after I cleaned it up from smoke and water damage. It had a dull finish from scrubbing it. It looks a lot better now.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #8992151

table- not so dull anymore.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #8992330

I want my walls and ceiling to look like this.
That would be so expensive. but If I did it a little at a time, it wouldn't hurt the pocket so badly.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 2, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #8992371

You do nice work!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #8994641

Thank you porkpal.

I am just about finished with the kitchen base island bar.
Another coat of polyurethane this evening.

larger view of the cabinet

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #8994648

I like to cook. And I like kitchen gadgets and dishes and Amberware. Gotta have a place to store it all.
That base cabinet , two sheets oak plywood, wood brackets, sand paper, stain, polyurethane, oak end panels, paint thinner and paint brushes costed $527

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 3:43 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #8994670

Ouch! But I know cabinets are not cheap now either.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #8994919

looks great Cricket ! very purdy
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #8995098

thank you taynors.

I have a tip for yall if you ever want to finish any wood work with polyurethane.
After you have sanded and polyurethaned all that you think you can possibly deal with and it still has
a fine grain roughness here and there ------grain of dust that got caught in the poly------ take a piece of cardboard and remove the paper off one side of the ribbed center and use the ribbed side to buff the dry finish and it will get rid of those fine bumps you feel and it will be smooth as glass.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #8995101

Always sand, brush, and buff in the direction of the grains of the wood. This is a must.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #8995105

oh yeh...that base cabinet Top has 6 coats of polyurethane on it. ( lightly sanded with 400 grit between each coat)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #8995241

wow that is some nice work and good tips.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #8995314

Did you spray the poly?
We do 2 coats, then 400 paper, then a final coat on the cabinets we build.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #8995438

brushed on the poly
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9003482

Finally...hubby put up the ceiling fan light ...but disconnected the fan motor wiring. The motor actually sits inside the upper portion of that light. You can't see the motor unless you look up into the light.

That upper light is only as bright as a night light but when i took a picture of it on by itself, the camera shows it to be very bright, but it's not.

I should take a picture of it during daylight hours...it will look better.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 8:44 PM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 11, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9003530

It looks very pretty. I love unique finds and pieces.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

February 13, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9005908

Wow, very nice work yawl
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9005965

It looks so nice! Lots of hard work to get there, whew! My DH says to say that he now loves Golden Oak and wants the same for himself someday. I agree.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9027539

Golden Oak has always been my favorite. I only use one coat of golden oak stain. If you want it darker, you add another coat 12 hours later.

I have an update====not much...
We have all the outside siding on the house except for 8 sheets short having it for the upper end on one end of the house
Hubby was always working or it was raining and never found the time to put up what we did have.

The Deck...oh my goodness ,,,the deck. The one thing I could never get hubby to level. He hated thinking about. It made him an angry man. We are hiring someone to finally come out and finish leveling it. Should be Wednesday. FINALLY!!!!!!!! Tickled Pink. In addition... We have a deck portion that we used on the shed that use to be part of the deck that we will be adding back to the deck... round and round we go...where we stop ,,,no body knows.

I am going to buy One gallon of the Sweet Pea Green and paint around the back door and see how I like it before we buy 10 gallons. What if I don't like it? that would be a lot of wasted money and paint.

the second color of choice would be Sweet Tea if I don't like Sweet Pea. And I just realized that they rhyme and titles are so close...that is completely coincidence.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9027563

LOL, Cricket!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9027674

LOL
they do sound pretty

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9041882

HA! We just started planning an update for our house and I have been going crazy with paint colors (interior). So, YES get a sample of your color and try it on! So far I have gotten 12 quarts of different colors! I THINK we found one for most of the inside but not our bedroom. I am bad at decorating! I should probably hire someone before I mess up! We are painting all the inside and replacing ALL the flooring--3300 square feet? So, now I know what you are going threw--a little bit... :)
Keep on truckin' Cricket!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9044118

oh i m so glad i m not painting ! nor choosing a color to paint. don't like it at all.
i would much rather eat cake and drink beer.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9050775

I don't have pictures yet...The front deck is leveled and glad to say I directed my husband on what had to be done to get it done and he Had Been so aggravated by it that he didn't realize how close he was to having it finished. He had just walked a way and threw his hands up and said forget it...I aint doing it ===== The man we were going to pay to level it never had time yet... Then 4 days ago I said...HUNNY...look at this...You gotta look and just hear me out... 30 minutes later it was 98% level. What a relief.
Then we moved the 8x12 deck that use to be the second story deck that we had used on the shed that we lived in to the back door on the house. It is level but it needs a few banisters so the grandkids don't fall over the edge. We bought fencing and T post to fence in the back yard to keep the dogs in away from the customers. They( the dogs ) are extra friendly and try to get in the customers cars. ROOOPS. sorry bout that.

My brain is fried.
I think too much or maybe I think about too many things at one time and it becomes a tangled web. What causes that web is lack of money and getting done what needs to be done so you end up sitting there trying to decide what is more important Right Now! You end up putting off your wants and doing what is important.
On top of needing to do things to the house, a family member ( who is collecting amo and food ) thinks we should be preparing for economic disaster. Wow, overwhelming. How to decide what is more important with little money. So you go search the World Wide Web for simple ways to prep for an economic collapse and the internet will scare you to death. Literally!!!! Then you wish you had a friend that could help you make the right decisions.

In my opinion, the one thing that will cause an economic collapse will be Panic Induced. Danged if you do and Danged if you Don't.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 8:23 PM

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 8:26 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9051655

The front deck= 98% level. It's not brand new but it still works like a deck. Needs Paint. Need to build the front corner deck that connects the end deck with the front deck.

And the back deck...needs rails and paint.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 2:39 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9051663

I want to paint the overhang wood then put on the painted facial board and then the gutters. Also need to put on the corner trim around the house.
Should start painting around Easter.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9051783

My hat's off to you for an amazing amount of work in the last year or so in building a new home. Good work!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9052008

Hooray! What a nice looking home! Definitely worth all your hard work and efforts.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9052423

I am soooo impressed with your hard work. Congrats!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9054964

there is a reality show on them survival people. One guy is spending millions on an underground home ect... its a pretty sweet set up i must admit.
Cricket i know the feeling. Its like to much to going on in our heads and we collapse from thinking about it all.
Dh is leaving on sunday and i m stuck with so much to do , ! uhg. i can't even process it all and also having no money to it LOL we can't win LOL
i love the porch. it looks great !
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 24, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9055385

Very nice job indeed, looking awsome
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9058899

Thank you for the compliments.
I have settled on the paint colors.
Main color is = Pine Whisper
Shutters= Pine Forest
Trim and deck rails and lattice= Pine Frost
Decking floor boards= Ice Tea

If I don't like it...there is always next year. lol

we are building our own window shutters.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9058931

I took a picture of the color deck choices. It looks better in person.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9058935

I don't know why houses only have shutters on the front of the house. I want shutters on all the windows= front and back. We have to build 18 shutters. (9 windows)

Im off to work in the dirt some more. Gotta make money to make this happen.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9059647

i like that color combo. green is always my fav.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9059668

Nice color selection. Will they be working shutters or just ornamental?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9059812

The shutters will be for decoration only. I don't think I would really take the time to go out and shut the shutters.

My husband really likes the Board and Batten shutter design. I was thinking about cutting a pine tree design piece of wood and putting that on the shutter and painting that pine tree the color of the houses main color but it just so happens that a member(pirl) here sent me a link of some shutters with a pine tree already cut out in the actual shutter and I like it. Then I followed their link showing a batten design with the pine tree cut out .
I like the one with the batten style and pine tree design and it would be simple to make.

http://www.amentshutters.com/CutoutDesigns.htm
http://www.amentshutters.com/CutoutDesigns/ModernPineTreeSpacer.htm

This message was edited Mar 27, 2012 8:25 PM
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 28, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9060472

Kewl idea... looks good.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9060659

Do you have any idea how hard it is to choose a paint color when you have 10 family members giving different opinions. It's pure hell. Oh my gosh. We have a friend who is a home decorator and she put her 2 cents in there too.
It's been the best hell to sort out. It's been fun and confusing. If you ever have to paint your home...brace yourself.
My choices were based on the fact that my business is in the front yard, I have no trees around the house or in the front yard, and the house is big and it sticks out like a sore thumb already. I couldn't choose Sweet Pea (pastel green) cause it would stick out like a Broken Leg or a giant Easter Egg. I am painting my bathroom Sweet Pea.

Hubby is on his way to buy the paint and the wood to build shutters and trim. No turning back now!!!!!!!

BOUNCE BOUNCE
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

March 28, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9060977

LOL .. i can imagine, another reason i have no painted wood in my entire cabin.. its all natural wood .. i just let nature do its thing...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9061008

Well. This camera is not catching the true color of the paint. It looks different on camera. Hm.
it looks blue in the camera pic. its not blue

I like wood too. I should of stuck with the wood panels instead of this masonite siding.. oh twell.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 5:57 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9061233

Finally the camera took a pic that looks more like the actual color.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9062459

Between customers, I managed to design and cut out my first shutter. All my windows are 6 feet long.
The shutters are cut at a 45 degree angle at the tops.

first pic is when I drew it out on graph paper and decided how to go about making them.
The windows will have a 1x4 trim at the top and bottom and the shutters on the side.
The bracket boards that hold the two battens together will be painted Pine frost==I think and the battens will be the Pine Forest.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9063430

Sheesh--how adorable! You are very creative/artistic. And I know what you mean about choosing paint colors. And carpet colors. I've almost got all my choices pinned down. Just got to pick out tile for kitchen and bathrooms. Then the "fun" begins at our home.
I love the green combos you picked out. That will be beautiful and goes with your charming cottage! Janet
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9065210

My kitchen window is only 36 inches long. I had to make one set of shutters for the one short window.

It's not nail together yet. It's just posing for the picture. I will be sanding and painting all the pieces and parts
before it is nailed and screwed together.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 7:09 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9065252

Brace yourself= My house looks like a Gaint Easter Egg

The deck is so ugly right now. It needs to be cleaned, repaired, more construciton, and lattice will be put back on the deck rails and all will be painted. Meanwhile, we have to deal with its ugly sight while we paint the house, construct the soffit (that is the boarding that goes under the overhang) and complete all the trim work. All one step at a time.

We started painting the main color on the house. The color does not match the color on the color deck. But it only has one coat . I say we but my husband painted the whole front side of the house and one end yesterday while I worked in the greenhouse. I like painting but I just didn't have time to help yesterday. A storm came through and blew over some tomato plants and I had to get those tied up (150 vines) Anyway, the house was and will only be painted with a brush. We have a paint sprayer and rollers but I don't like the texture that the roller nap leaves behind and paint sprayers are messy and more time consuming than you realize. You think by using a paint sprayer that you are going to save a lot of time painting something but you don't after you add up the prep time of getting the sprayer ready and protecting the windows and everything that can get over spray on it and the cleaning up time. It took hubby 2 hours to paint the front side of the house and 2 hours to paint one end of the house with a paint brush. And it only took One gallon of paint to paint all of that. Paint sprayers and rolling system takes almost twice the paint. Example...We have a couple of rental mobile homes and it takes a whole 5 gallon bucket to spray paint one mobile home with one coat of paint but when I painted my mobile home (the one that burned down) It only took 5 gallons to paint it twice with a brush..

This paint color is strange stuff. It is slightly lighter than the color deck and sometimes it looks blue and sometimes it looks green depending on the color of the sky and how the sun is shining. The closer you are to the house the more blue it looks but if you are far away from the house it looks more green.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9065269

The house structure is considered Colonial Dutch. (google it)

Oh= I haven't changed my mind about making those octagon windows for that front office room in the gable. We have to finish the inside walls before we install the windows. We need both outside and inside walls complete so we can use the octagon shaped frame to cut the windows out correctly. Should happen this Fall.
After the house is painted we will start working on insulation upstairs and building - constructing my sons bedroom wall so he can have an air conditioner in his bedroom area . It gets HOT up there during summer and I don't want the expense of cooling the entire upstairs. It will be constructed so that only his bedroom is heated at night during winter too.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 1, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9065305

sounds like a good idea .. its all looking Great
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 1, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9065325

It's really looking good! I think a lot of modern paints have some strange optical qualities. Our house can be either blue or grey depending on the light conditions, and the rental house I recently repainted alternates between almost white and medium grey.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9065340

I think it's looking wonderful!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9065471

I think when your homestead is all finished, you could write a book and include all the pictures. It would definitely sell!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9065909

I am amazed that you guys have done all that yourselves. I wouldn't know where to start. You should be very proud of yourselves. It all looks great.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9066024

Thank you for all the compliments. I am hoping that when I get the Pine Forest shutters up that the house color will look more green more often.
I worked on the shutters alllllllllll dayyyyyyyy long.
It took me all day - literally 8 hours to sand 4 sets of shutters and paint them with wood primer. 5 more sets to go. I had to replace one of the kitchen shutter boards cause it had a crack down the middle of the board and some pine tree tips were loose. It was very time consuming trying to get the primer down in the cracks of the pine tree crevices and then trying to get the paint to sink into the cut wood of the pine trees. Rolling my eyes. I kept telling myself it will be worth it once it is done and I pushed myself all day. Then at the end of the day I had to go water all the plants in the greenhouse. Then the grandkids came over for a long visit. Then somebody came over to pay rent. then then then.=

passing out.

freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 2, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9066775

LOL sounds like a good day then, idle hands are the devils workshop they say ... keep busy, stay on track an forever young...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9068735

Shutters.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9068739

Nite pics
shutters.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9068743

Fantastic job. I commend you on all you've done.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9068793

All your hard work paid off. Those came out great!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9068795

I love it! That's what I'd call making a house a home. Very nice Crickett!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012

Post #9068796

deleted as something hiccuped and duplicated that last post. Sorry...

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 9:10 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9068846

Thank you.
I spent some long back aching hours on those 4 sets of shutters and I really dread the other 5 sets. But I will be taking my time. I was excited and anxious to get some on the house. It wasn't hard,,,but it was very time consuming and lots of bending over. I spent so much time on those shutters that I lost track of days...
6 days? Plus I had to work in the greenhouse and tend to customers too.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9069893

You must be in good shape to do all that! I wish I had half of your energy.
Now all you need is a little red and you're good for the holidays!! I really love the color choices.
Janet
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9070272

LOL.
several of us around here were joking about the Christmas Theme also.
we all had a different idea for each holiday through out the year.
Make wood plaques of Easter Eggs, Turkey, Pumpkin to hang in front of the pine tree during each holiday.
Pine trees are popular around here. It just looks woodys to me. I been watching 5 pine trees grow since I moved here. They were little tiny saplings 6 years ago. They get prettier each year. I thought about putting some fertilizer spikes around them to give them a little boost.
I put some fertilizer spikes around the scuppernong vines 5 years ago cause the leaves were pale green. They are still dark green after 4 years===this will be the 5th season.

My energy and shape= gosh= The arthritis slows me down. I have to take vitamins and extra B vit every day. By the end of the day , I am slow and sluggish and I better not sit down before I cook and wash dishes or neither one will get done.
I spent most of my day watering and fertilizing plants and tilling the garden once again.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9071026

I love scuppernongs. My Momma makes the best jelly from them.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 5, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9071491

Ummm what are scuppernongs?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9071625

Sucppernongs are large green muskadine that ripens to light bronze color= southern seedy grapes.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2012 6:27 AM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9074641

Here is a daylight picture of the house.
And we took down the old hand rails that were on the deck cause hubby wants to do them differently and the future deck will actually wrap around the house from the office door around to the back door. (half the house)
I kinda like the deck without rails on the front ... undecided.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9074829

I'd vote for no railing on the front deck too. I like that with your raised flower bed across the front. Very nice!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9075169

You have done a remarkable job!!!!! I am in total awe!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9075173

It all looks so adorable! (Do I keep saying that?!). I love how the deck will wrap around. And some railing can be so cute too! I love the look of a house with a white picket fence in the front too. Homes in New Orleans have lots of wrought iron railing, gingerbread, cute fencing... So go for it! Can't wait to see what y'all come up with.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9075550

i love the woodsy look !
ok you can come and do my house now :)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9076462

I like the deck with no railing. Feels open and large rather than closed in and small. I LOVE that planter in front of the deck!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9076761

Thank you Thank you.
The funny part is= the back of the house isn't painted yet. It just has a facial. We are working on the back.

Sure thing Taynors. As soon as I get through with this one. Note=, you might be retired by then.

Those planter beds are concrete blocks stacked on top of each other. They don't even have morter between them. Then I put cap blocks on top to cover the holes. And the steps are concrete blocks too and the only thing that held them together was exterior liquid nail and they have to be repaired cause we had to knock off the upper step level to make it level with the deck. They have stepping stones liquid nailed on top of them to cover the holes. A few folks laughed at me when i used liquid nail but It has held for 3 years now. I thought I was crazy too. It was suppose to be a temporary fix that turned permanent.
I would like to paint the concrete planter boxes. Not sure what color yet.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9079172

It looks like the outside of the planters are plastered.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9079274

taynors = patience LOLLL
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9081125

when we bought this land we were told that there was an old well system that fed to the house that had burned down a few years before we bought the property. The people who owned the land took the well house down and covered the well pipping system that ran 170 feet deep. No body could locate the well cause they had forgotten. One day the kids were digging into a dirt bank out back near the garden and I told them if they dug into the bank deep enough they might be able to make a shelter club house. Instead of digging into the bank they went up hill and started digging down into the ground and accidently found the old well pipping.
We found a Well Digging company that will come out and inspect our findings and to figure out if it is worth putting a pumping system back in to the pipe housing that is there. But it's gonna cost me $100 to find out. If the housing pipes can still be used then that will save us $3000 and will have to pay out $1000 estimated to get the well working again.
Crossing my fingers.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9081178

Wow, that sounds like a good deal if it's salvageable!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9081418

woohooo crossing fingers also here.
good sunny day today
cleaned houses.
did some fertilizing ,
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9081568

Crossing fingers and toes for you!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9084765

Sure hope that works out for you.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9094182

The well digger never showed up and he won't answer the phone.
This is what you call forceful education.

slowly painting the back side of the house.
I have to tend to all the chores and responsibilities early in the day
and paint in the evening if I feel like it on sunny days.

Here is a bummer. Even though the mobile home burned down, it was on the mortgage loan and we did pay $50,000 on the mortgage when the home burned and even though it is not here, the mortgage company is making us pay insurance according to the value of the mobile home by company rules or they will take what we have...I cannot get insurance outside the mortgage company on the home we are building until it is completed. Then I can prove i have my own insurance and the mortgage company will stop charging me. Which will be sometime next year.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9094250

Bummer, Cricket.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9094572

Sue put a small down payment on a house today. Not much land & a real "fixer up"

She lost a friend two weeks ago that she had known since grade school. After the services I think she tried to make an arraignment with her sister to take care of me should she go first. Don't know how that worked out.

She wanted a place we could call home, with no mortgage, for when we need a place.
Gotta love her.
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 23, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9094582

sounds like a plan.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9094650

Dyson, you should be able to fix-up almost anything!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9095255

Having your own place will be a big shot in the arm. She's the best. I'm sure you guys will turn it into a home in no time. We gotta have pics!! Congrats!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9096369

I have been through a few fixer uppers in my life time. Enjoyed every moment. congrats. Maybe you could show some pictures one day.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9100457

I had posted a picture awhile back of a bathroom sink and base cabinet that we got from someone for free...kinda sorta...hubby was working on the bathroom for someone else. Anyway. He finally ran the plumbing to it but the faucet was bad. Tried to replace a few things and it still didn't work. Then we noticed the sink bowl had a crack. We replaced the bowl (free) and bought a new faucet. We now have a "working" bathroom sink.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9103850

Congratulations! Oh, how lovely the convenience of indoor plumbing!
freedom_sailer
Vernon, AL

April 30, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9104239

Very nice job yawl, wont be long an it'll all be finished ... or at least thats what i say to myself ...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9112989

at this rate. it will never be finished.

hubby finally put a ceiling fan with a light in the master bedroom. The fan made a huge difference in air circulation . It was getting kinda stuffy in this heat.
A year ago, all we had was the lower floor and four outter walls and even then I was very grateful.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012

Post #9117885

I love the faucet fixture.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9121738

I'm not sure any house is ever finished, but yours is coming along nicely ☺
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9124956

ty

My son bought me a hanging light fixture at a small flea market for $12.
It has glass votives and the top rim is Amber.
Hubby installed it over the oak island yesterday...finally.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9125355

Oh man, that is awesome! I love that style--old fashioned but not too ornate. Little by little, bit by bit!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9126680

That is really nice.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9126711

thank you... i really like it. It goes great with the oak and the other amber stuff.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 16, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9126719

What does Grand Dad have to say about the house now?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9128482

Grand Dad is feeling poorly. He hardly ever comes outside and we never talk about my life. I just sit there and listen to him talk about what he watched on TV. He hasn't asked us any questions about the house, the kids, the garden...nothing. No compliments. No advice or opinions. He wants to die and it just aint happening fast enough for him. His digestive system is not working correctly so he hardly ever eats but i still cook and take him food. Every now and then he eats it. The doctor wants him to go into a nursing home but he refuses. He wants to die at home.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 18, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9128491

That's sad.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9128492

Can't blame him for wanting to die at home. Sorry he's doing poorly, though.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9129418

So sorry to hear that. Getting old is hard. Does he live alone?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9129588

Yes, he lives alone next door to me. Grandmother died 12 years ago.
It has been really sad recently. I stopped talking to him about my life cause he seemed aggravated by it. I would tell him something and he would make remarks like: " So" with a snarly facial expression. So I took it as though he didnt want to hear anything.
kanuallc
Lorena, TX

May 19, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9129668

Cricket, my Dad got that way in his 80's...ate little, isolated himself, hated everybody and everything. I talked to his doctor and he put him on an antidepressant. within a month the change was amazing...and his last few years were good for him and me. don't know...but might be worth looking into.
just reread all your building posts...amazing job!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9129693

thanks kanuallc. That is exactly how he is with the addition of memory loss. Which makes it even worse. I feel sorry for those who know their life is about to end and there is nothing we can do about it. I just try to make him feel more relaxed and let him do all the talking even if some of it is non sense. I will be in his shoes one of these days.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9131363

It sounds like he has some kind of demintia but it could be a medical problem. Has he had a checkup recently?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9131497

he sees the doctor every 6 months.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9135487

I hope things turn around for him.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9136025

Let me tell ya...We bought an attic fan for the second story floor. It is a 30 inch...made by Cool Attic and it pulls 7600 cubic feet per minute.
I am so happy with it. It took alllllllllll the heat out of that second floor in 5 minutes. It was 7 pm when hubby finally got it going after building a box for it, electrical, and putting it on wheels. By 8 pm I was cold down stairs. Our highs are around 85 ish...give or take. Lows around 58 to 60. Now to see how it does between 2pm and 6pm tomorrow.

When I was little, we lived in a mobile home and my mama had an attic fan in her bedroom on the end of the home and it never got hot in the mobile home...
If you live in a mobile home...think about buying an attic fan. Seriously
It needs to be the size of the window that you place it at.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

May 23, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9136091

Cricket, I have been trying to figure out if I could indeed use an attic fan somehow in my mobile home. How was it installed? This would be far better than an ac imo
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9136470

Details...the fan had a 3 inch wood frame around it already. Hubby built a 16 inch wide wood frame box around it by screwing it to the 3 inch board on the fan.
Then he used an old heavy duty extention cord to wire the electrical so we could plug into a 110 wall outlet.. He drilled a hole in the top of the box frame for the Low High switch.
then covered the box frame with 1/2 inch hardware cloth to keep little fingers and hands out.

This message was edited May 24, 2012 9:13 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9136489

he drilled a hole in the side of the wood frame for the extention cord also.
the fan has a 10 yr warranty.
$266 after tax...plus the wire $16, already had extention cord, already had hardware U nails, already had screws.
He put wheels on the bottom also but realized later that the fan needed to sit up higher so we set it up on concrete blocks so it would be more even with the window.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9196203

continued here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268100/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America