Chips wouldn't melt!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Making Fantasy Fudge and my chips wouldn't melt. Anyone know why?

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Can you describe your method?

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

I think the chips were older. They go in at the end of the cooking process of the fudge.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmm..don't have experience with old chips. They don't hang around my house that long ;)

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

an 'off' brand could also have wax or other inexpensive filler/extender added that may not melt the same as cocoa butter or other fats used in the better brands.

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Very good point, Texan. That's probable.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Brands I have always used so unless they have changed them? Which we know is possible.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

My wife uses the recipe listed here; http://thehive.modbee.com/node/22478

The recipe found nowadays on the side of the jar promotes 2-3 specific brands owned by the same company as the marshmallow creme. Some people feel it makes a product inferior to 'the old days'.

your mileage may vary

Columbus, OH

Whether you like the marshmallow creme fudge or the "good old days" fudge is just a personal preference. I like them both, but I'll have to say, I prefer the creaminess of the "good old days" but it makes my arm just about drop off stirring it. That makes the ease of the marshmallow fudge look really good. If you use really good chips like Ghirardelli, it helps somewhat.

I've had cheap chocolate chips fail in this recipe, I got them at Big Lots, thinking "How bad could they be?" I think Texan got it right...they have waxes or something in them, they tasted odd and insipid, and had a mouth feel a lot like those old wax lips candies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.