Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Denim in the garden...

Mooresboro, NC

How long does it take for denim to decompose? I've made a couple of "grow pouches" out of the legs of an old pair of jeans...Just wondering about how long they will last with watering the plants inside?

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

ruby - could you post instructions on the 'grow pouches' ?

sounds interesting.

Pittsburgh, PA

Yes, plese come back and post!!!

Mooresboro, NC

They are sooo simple! Cut the legs off a pair of bluejeans. Sew the bottom closed. Cut down the sides of each side seam & remove extra fabric in the middle. Tie "handle" together!
I'm sure you can look at the pic & get the general idea.
I put a trash bag liner in it first-fill it with soil & THEN cut my slits in it for plants!

Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread
Pittsburgh, PA

oooooooo - I've saved every leg from every pair of cutoffs since 1970!
Had in mind a braided rug.
But I could spare a few for my beloved garden, too!

PLEASE show us a finished one!

Mooresboro, NC

Just planted these yesterday...can't wait for them to fill out! They may not be the prettiest things right now, but they are soooo much nicer to look at than those ol plastic grow bags.

Thumbnail by rubyredcrnbread
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How did these do through the growing season?

Mooresboro, NC

Did great! I will definitely use "bushier" type plants next year.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I used old jeans as decomposing weed block for the "berms" that surrounded new perennial beds I put in last year. The leg of the jeans, opened out, was wide enough to cover the top of the berm, then I covered that with mulch. A little bermuda tried to grow through it, but not much. By the time the denim has decomposed (it's been almost two years, and there's still quite a bit of it left), the weeds have been defeated and a little mulch refurb is all that's needed.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

100% cotton will decompose faster than the man made fabrics. I still find old socks (probably cotton-polyester) that the kids tossed into the garden! (and my youngest will be 25 in a couple of weeks).

(Zone 5a)

This is a great idea! I have so many boy pants with holes in the knees, so cannot give them away. With our winds I have never risked hanging plants, but this might be an option and a way to enjoy some alien plants without putting them into the ground. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.