Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: We (Still) Got the Beet: Beets

Communities > Forums > Article: We (Still) Got the Beet
bookmark
Forum: Article: We (Still) Got the BeetReplies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dwhenry
Encinitas, CA

December 19, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8935608

Tamara - I greatly enjoyed your write-up! We often grow beets in our summer/fall garden in southern California (Encinitas) and love them! One problem I regularly encounter with beets, any variety, is poor germination. Are beets unusually sensitive to variations in watering during the sprouting phase? Chard, which has a similar looking seed, seems to have the same problem, although, with chard, it doesn't take all that many plants to have a good yield. Turnips, radishes and parsnips all seem to germinate well under the same conditions.

I tried to find your earlier beet write-up but I didn't see it in your author list.

Thanks! Couldn't resist the last-harvest-in-the-fall photo from a few years back.

Dave Henry

Thumbnail by dwhenry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8938071

Great picture Dave and I'm glad you enjoyed the article! I've been wanting to try parsnips, although my husband always turns his nose up at them.

You may want to try soaking your beet and chard seeds in water for a day or two before planting. That seed coat is so incredibly hard, soaking seems to soften it a bit and make for better germination. Can't hurt to try.

There should be a link to the previous beet article at the bottom of the current one - let me know if you have trouble locating it.

Thanks for writing,
TexasTam
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 21, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8939001

I Love Beet's, and have recently been exposed to Beet Green's from my Garden...I could Live off of them, seriously, with a little Fresh Ground Beef as a Hamburger, on a Homemade Bread, topped with Sauteed Beet Green's and a little Homemade Mayo and Ketchup... try this...it will make you crazy...LOL... Happy Holiday's...and God Bless...
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8940884

Thanks Mr Pappy - wow that does sound good! Beet greens are just full of good nutrients too.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: We (Still) Got the Beet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for info CLScott 1 Dec 15, 2011 9:05 AM
Hated them but adore them now vossner 1 Dec 15, 2011 9:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America