We will be rolling out several small fixes mid-day today (Jan 29.) We do not anticipate any disruptions or problems, but f you spot any unexpected issues after 12 noon (PST), please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.
Picked these up at a local auction house. They were in fair shape-a little battered (and had green vinyl seats that were kinda hidious!) I was looking for four chairs that weren't too big to use with a nice little confectioner's table I've had for years. The table is about the size of a card table & has wooden legs and a white milkglass top.
CHAIRS $5 for 4
FABRIC $4 yd. X 4yds.(remnant bin at JoAnne fabric-was $24.99 yd.)
NEW FOOTPADS $2 X 4 sets
Leftover Paint from another project.
With the table (and after the extra fabric was hemmed into a tablecloth). I painted the table legs, some of the trim and a picture frame with the same satin finish black paint. The fabric has great colors in it-dark garnet red, black, tan, gold, and moss green. I matched the red for the walls, and the black as I described above and in the script on the bulkhead-picture to follow! MWhit
Thank you all- my decorating efforts have always been too conservative and boring I think. This time I took a chance and really love it so far. Do you want to see the script etc? Not sure they fit this forum's focus of trash to treasure!! Thanks again! MWhit
May as well show you the rest! Excuse the weird collection-my husband couldn't stand the bare shelf while I decided what to put there! ...hint-not that stuff! But I do love the red and it was his idea! MW
I have a great collection of old teapots, coffee pot and pitchers and I am debating between those and a collection of hand thrown pottery I have found at garage sales, flea markets etc.
I am always amazed that people will sell these pieces for a few bucks-have they never seen how much they are at pottery showrooms etc? The big blue bowl in "part 1" is an example- I paid $20 for it -more than I usually spend but it is a good 16" across! Won't fit on my shelf -that's for sure!
The little ornaments hanging under the shelf are Santa Claus 's in all sorts of costume- I bought them because they reminded me of my dad! He had white hair and a full beard and the belly "that shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly" More than one young patient thought he was Santa Claus!! ( The cutest thing ever was when the 5 year old son of a doctor from England whispered "He looks just like Father Christmas!") We lost dad 15 years ago and I still miss him every day! Sorry I went off on a tangent there- I tend to do that
mwhit: I like everything you've done. Eagerly awaiting the flooring update. A question? Did you knock out the chair seats and cover or exactly how did you manage to cover those seats (the seats don't look like the knock out kind)...my mom was born in Scotland, and she was always talking about "Father Christmas" (holiday memories...)
The "before" picture is actually after I unscrewed the seat part-it was a thin piece of plywood with a thin pad of stuffing covered with the wretched green vinyl. I just cut the fabric (a great outdoor grade of canvas) to fit and used a staple gun to attach it over the vinyl then replaced the covered seat cushion with four screws. It took four hands to match the pattern, stretch, staple and fit all at once so my husband helped (I let him play with the stapler so he was happy). That was a good question - I kinda skipped that step in my post! MWhit
The chairs are classic bentwood repros. with ladderbacks. This was a popular restaurant chair. Here is an example http://www.kpetersen.com/importchair2.htm I have several restaurant, hotel and office furniture pieces that I've reclaimed for our home.
30 yrs. drapery workroom and school 25 of those years so may I give you a hint. When covering chair pads that you can remove as you did. Strip all old covering and staples, replace padding with either foam or dacron for more cush for the tush, start stapeling fabric at back, leave both sides loose, pull hard and staple fabric to the front edge. Then stapale each side and you didn't distort fabric pattern any by the looks which is great. Forgot to include I use strong upholstery glue to hold dacron in place while covering.
Just trying to make your work a little easier next time. You did a fantastic job on your chairs and hopefully you will beautify America more in the future.
I have all pneumatic stapalers so it makes it much faster and easier on the hands. Before I got them and air compressor it was really a hard job especially if I was fabricating an 18 foot or larger cornice. CONGRATULATIONS
May all enjoy a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR.
Bonnie, That is good advice. I debated whether to strip them down and re-cushion or use the padding that was on them. I thought the vinyl under the fabric might add a little "spill protection " since they are for kitchen use but I think you are right -that old cotton batt type isn't real cushy!
We did do the "staple the front, stretch to the back, keep the stripes straight" thinking when stapling. My husband even said " this would be way easier with a power nailer!" I thought he was just going all "Tim the Tool Man" on me !!
I sympathize re: the cornice work-every thing is more fun when you are balanced on a ladder!
I will remember your tips in the future! Thanks, MWhit
Thanks again for all the encouraging words- Have the sheet vinyl in black&white check pattern-just waiting to hear back from the guy who will lay it for us-getting anxious to see it installed (and out of my living room where we stashed it before Christmas).Every time I sweep or mop the old flooring I hope it is the last time I have to look at it! I will post the final picture as soon as possible! Thanks again, mw