-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8936916

I have never raised rabbits before so this is a new experience and I have been hit with an problem with my frist try.
The baby rabbits were born the end of Nov. They are about 3 weeks old. Two rabbits eyes have not opened. Two have one open and one shut. Somebody told me to put polysporin on the eye lids and it would help prevent any infections they might have and it would make the mama lick the eyes and the licking might unseal the eyes to open.
This sounds kinda iffy to me. Any other ideas?
The fur on the eye lids do look like they have been wet then dried. Its not too bad though. Yet.

Should I wash them myself with a warm wet wash cloth?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8936956

I'd start with the simplest first. Use gauze moistened with sterile saline (the stuff made for contact lenses or as an eyewash is fine). Wipe from the nose outward, gently. In most cases that will do it. Check the eye and make sure it isn't cloudy and that there is no further discharge, and that their noses aren't runny. If there are other symptoms, you need a Vet visit. I have used a new tube of triple antibiotic in an emergency, but don't recommend it. If needed, sterile antibiotic eye ointments are easily available through your Vet, and there are several on the $4 gedneric lists at most pharmacies that can be prescribe.

Good luck :)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8937172

I saw this on a website. http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/having_baby_bunnies_questions.htm

The eyes will open at ten to twelve days. If you notice most have their eyes open by twelve days, check the ones with their eyes closed very carefully to be sure they aren't matted shut from a bacterial infection. Wipe the eyes with a warm wash cloth to see if they will open. If they produce pus or other matter, treat them with an ophthalmic antibiotic or Nitrofurazone Powder twice a day until clear. Be sure to clean them thoroughly before each application of ointment, drops or powder.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8937997

thanks bunches.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8939051

How are the bun-buns doing?
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

December 22, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8939184

I use baby shampoo and green tea on wild babies. A drop of the no tears in a cup of warm water, cleans the eyes and then strong green tea treats the problem. It has always worked for me.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8939753

soaking this in ===green tea? just buy green tea capsules????
I didn't check on them today cause I was sick half the night and hubby went out and fed everything today.
But will do lots of doctoring tomorrow. I did put Neosporin on the lids two days ago.
I spent a lot of money on Christmas and waiting on some money tomorrow. All this wants to happen just as everything
is about to close for Christmas. I gotta hurry.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 8:10 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8939972

ok...me and hubby went out tonight and broght the rabbits indoors. The polysporin must of helped. A few eyes have opened. A few were half opened. I cleaned eyes and put more polysporin on the sick/delayed eyes.

snuggling with mom

This message was edited Dec 22, 2011 9:55 PM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8939980

one in the middle = you can see the sick eye. I see no mucus drainage from eyes... The lids are a little puffy. The furr is slightly matted.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2011
10:52 PM

Post #8940136

I would suggest boric acid solution. It is mild but effective.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8940560

Ouch! that sounds painful= boric acid. It doesn't sound mild. What is boric acid (ouch) ?
I'm gonna call the local farm supply and see what they have in stock..
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8940564

They didnt have boric acid and didn't know much about that but they do have an eye drop solution and terramyasin eye ointment and will be open until noon tomorrow. So. guess that is what I'll be getting.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

December 24, 2011
4:17 AM

Post #8941268

Terramycin is fine for rabbits, and would take care of many causes of infection.
Boric acid is actually a common ingredient in eye washes, we used to keep a solution containing it next to the sink in the lab, at the eyewash station. It is very dilute when used that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_acid

Hope the babies continue to do well
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8941297

Cricket, they are adorable

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8942005

They are getting better= slowly but surely and they sure do stink in this house. One more day of close care and out they go LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America